pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Suggestions on nets and carts [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:19 am
DragonDJ11

What does everyone use or recommend for a net to use to bring fish up from the water?

In addition, any recommendations on a cart? Would prefer something on the smaller or collapsible side.

Keep in mind, I am trying to keep my costs down a bit, but can spend more on something if it is really worth it.

Thank you
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:29 am
sea++

DragonDJ11 wrote:
What does everyone use or recommend for a net to use to bring fish up from the water?

Up from a pier? Then the standard I would think is the double ring hoop net often used in crabbing, though you can find some that are marketed specifically as "pier nets". They can range from $10-$50, but I find most in the $15-30 range. A quick search for "pier net" or "crabbing net" on Amazon will give you a good idea of the variety out there. Also, if you're in an area where a ton of recreational crabbing is done, it might be helpful to look at your local classifieds, yard sales, used goods shops, etc.. for people wanting to offload them. Or even post on craigslist that you're looking for one. Mine came from a neighbor in my apartment that saw my fishing stuff and wanted to get rid of her hoop net, so it may be possible to get one at no cost.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 am
DragonDJ11

Thanks for the info. I found one that I believe will work for $35. I will put out a request on craigslist but being inland, probably a miss, but who knows.

For whatever reason, the previous crab nets that I had came across, reviews were saying not string enough to lift a decent fish up. Guess that depends on each persons idea of "decent"
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 am
Ken Jones

I've used this hoop net for years and pulled up many a different fish.

B.St_2016.9_1_Hoop.Net copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.93 KB
 Viewed:  913 Time(s)

B.St_2016.9_1_Hoop.Net copy.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:48 am
Ken Jones

You say you want a pier cart? Here's a few

http://kenjonesfishing.com/2013/03/pier-fishing-in-california-%e2%80%94-concourse-dpier-carts/
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:27 pm
DragonDJ11

Thank you
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:56 pm
dan v.

I believe there is a maximum diameter on ring crab traps , I could be wrong !? Does that include unbaited traps being used to land larger fish ?
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: