pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Ugliness at Pacifica Pier [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 am
sphunfishing

I went crabbing yesterday at Pacifica Pier. I was at the end, in the middle of the L section. There are a bunch of regulars hanging around the end, not the L section. The guys at the right hand corner cast diagonally, more so parallel to the L shape pier then seaward. Needless to say, we tangle a couple of times. So basically, they ruin 4 possible spots by casting diagonally. About 30 minutes into fishing, another fisherman came by and see the open spot and fished next to me on the left. I warned him about possibility on crossing them if he cast too far out. Well, he crossed them when he reeled in his first cast. The guy he crossed was pissed. He was yelling and screaming profanity at the guy next to me. He tell him learn how to cast straight. The guy next to me said it's straight, you are the one that cast crooked. The other guys really fuming now and tell the guy next to me to go learn how to cast at the beginning of the pier. So after they untangled, the guy next to me cast again, straight. This time, I observed the cast, and it was as straight as it gets. Guess what, the guy that shouts profanity fumes again and said he cast crooked and cross his line. This time, 2 of his buddies jump in and backed him up. 3 guys vs one, shouting. I couldn't stand it. It was OK for them to cross somebody else and no apology, and they trash others if they got crossed. I started to steam up and shout back at those 3 guys, saying we are as straight as we can get. Now it's 2 against 3. The rest of the people just having a good time looking at us shouting. Me and the guy next to me just smiled at each other and took off shortly after. So basically fished from 6:15 am to 8:00 am, caught 5 shorts no keeper. Got into an ugly argument and ruin my day.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 am
sea++

Definitely no accounting for manners or courtesy in public spaces, piers included. Sorry to hear some aggro personalities were intent on acting tribal and ruining other people's experience. Glad to hear it didn't come to physical blows but it demonstrates why I tend to prefer the cliffs to the piers.

sphunfishing wrote:
I went crabbing yesterday at Pacifica Pier. I was at the end, in the middle of the L section. There are a bunch of regulars hanging around the end, not the L section. The guys at the right hand corner cast diagonally, more so parallel to the L shape pier then seaward. Needless to say, we tangle a couple of times. So basically, they ruin 4 possible spots by casting diagonally. About 30 minutes into fishing, another fisherman came by and see the open spot and fished next to me on the left. I warned him about possibility on crossing them if he cast too far out. Well, he crossed them when he reeled in his first cast. The guy he crossed was pissed. He was yelling and screaming profanity at the guy next to me. He tell him learn how to cast straight. The guy next to me said it's straight, you are the one that cast crooked. The other guys really fuming now and tell the guy next to me to go learn how to cast at the beginning of the pier. So after they untangled, the guy next to me cast again, straight. This time, I observed the cast, and it was as straight as it gets. Guess what, the guy that shouts profanity fumes again and said he cast crooked and cross his line. This time, 2 of his buddies jump in and backed him up. 3 guys vs one, shouting. I couldn't stand it. It was OK for them to cross somebody else and no apology, and they trash others if they got crossed. I started to steam up and shout back at those 3 guys, saying we are as straight as we can get. Now it's 2 against 3. The rest of the people just having a good time looking at us shouting. Me and the guy next to me just smiled at each other and took off shortly after. So basically fished from 6:15 am to 8:00 am, caught 5 shorts no keeper. Got into an ugly argument and ruin my day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 am
DragonDJ11

Definitely enough reason to enjoy more secluded options when you have them. Glad it didn't end as bad as it could have
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:52 pm
Ken Jones

Pacifica can be crazy!

Pacifica_2009_Rods.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.83 KB
 Viewed:  1582 Time(s)

Pacifica_2009_Rods.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:42 pm
gambler

Ken Jones wrote:
Pacifica can be crazy!

My rod is in there somewhere. Good old ďManilaĒ
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:43 pm
sphunfishing

Ken, you mentioned people are keeping illegal crabs on my last post. On this outing, I'm more observant and you are correct. Most do not measure the crabs, they just toss in their bucket. Some of the crabs they kept are questionable, but I don't really want to get into a fight over it. It can't be me just getting all the under size one and they kept on getting keepers. I've also notice that there's one guy came back a couple of times to talk to the guys at the end of the pier. It looks like they are buddies. Also, he was at mid pier when I walked down to the end pier. There are spots at the end pier, which makes me think that he's a look out for the other guys at the end pier. I have no proof, but it sure looks that way.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:07 am
YoungAsianFisher

This is probably a reason why Iíve stopped fishing Pacifica. Over the past decade or two, the fishing sucks, the combat fishing sucks, and a lot of the locals sucks. Thank goodness thereís so many other fishing spots close by that doesnít suck.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:30 am
red fish

YoungAsianFisher wrote:
This is probably a reason why Iíve stopped fishing Pacifica. Over the past decade or two, the fishing sucks, the combat fishing sucks, and a lot of the locals sucks. Thank goodness thereís so many other fishing spots close by that doesnít suck.

Yeah, the salmon Fishing isnít what it used to be years ago. I only go out there two times average now at the beginning of July just to see the ocean (itís the Bay the other 99%).
I am fortunate I have never had a bad experience out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:38 am
Ken Jones

The fishing has certainly changed since the '90s. Not exactly sure why although I have my theories.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 am
Khalid42

This is a well known fact for most people. That is why I avoid this pier and vow to never come back. Fishing isn't even that good here and the aggressive/territorial locals here ruin it for everyone who just wants to have a good time. There are other spots in the area to enjoy. Its not worth it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:53 pm
packyourtrash

the localism is only really predominant at the end of the pier. This is the norm at any spot where combat fishing is prevalent. You want in with the locals then you better roll in with thick skin whether youíre in the wrong or not. Thatís just how it is. Maybe in 20 years when all the old salts are long gone, this new soft generation will be there to welcome everyone and hand out gps coordinates to more secluded fishing spots if you donít feel welcome.

As far as crabbing is concerned, Iíve had plenty of action from the mid section of the pier and further towards the end as long as the swell is down and you can hold bottom.

Good luck.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:28 pm
GammaRei

This is actually one of the reasons that I stopped going to Pacifica Pier. I have experienced this same situation years ago, some of the regulars actually feel that they have ownership of the pier.

Me and some friends got there at 0400 one morning and when PD opened the gates we headed out to the end and the 6 of us grabbed some spots next to the lamp post and the end of the L. At around 1000 some regulars came down to the pier and stated that those were "their" spots and caused a fuss. Later on I had a tangle with some crossed lines even though my line was in the water and soaking longer than the other persons. He actually crossed my lines and was yelling at me about it. I pulled my knife out and cut both of the lines and told him to sod-off (I know this is frowned upon, but I did/do not care at all). Surprisingly this guy and his friends left me alone afterwards. But I did not like the mentality of the locals feeling that they own every spot on the pier. I have not gone back since.

- G
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am
pinfish

need Dueterte to set thems straight
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:56 am
sphunfishing

I'm done with this Pier. I'll try Pillar Point south jetty next time.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 am
xpostman

red fish wrote:
YoungAsianFisher wrote:

Yeah, the salmon Fishing isnít what it used to be years ago. I only go out there two times average now at the beginning of July just to see the ocean (itís the Bay the other 99%).
I am fortunate I have never had a bad experience out there.

Robert, I don't think you would have any problem fishing this pier. Yeah the fishing sucks since the salmon no longer make their appearance like back in the 80's. Not sure why its so crowded. Anyway, bring a positive attitude, work with the locals, respect each other, diffuse any issues, watch for the guy with the cigarette, he will be cutting your line. Its the quiet ones you need to watch. Avoid combat at all cost.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: