pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Hair Raiser history [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 am
Ken Jones

Shifting down to the Marin Rod and Gun Club pier (this is a big day there) the members were having a heyday. At the final count 16 stripers had been landed with one fisherman releasing three of the six he had landed (that Mel Columbo is sure a top notch fisherman)...
Fishing has been best either trolling or live bait drifting. On the pier where the members walk, just letting their lure drag through the water, a new lure called a “Hair-raiser: has been hot. It’s possible to actually stand still, letting the current work this lure, and catch fish. It has its own good action! I’ve used them at Hunters Point and could hardly believe the action it gave me. I just stood on the pier holding the rod steady.
— Fish and Game, Al Giddings,
—San Rafael Independent Journal, June 3, 1977
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:27 pm
songslinger

Well...

The bucktail jig with a curly tail was already in use over 40 years before this story was published. Check out Bill Upperman, who patented his version of the bucktail--the one we all see in use nowadays--in 1941. Bass fishermen have been adding the wormtail or curly tail since before I was born (in 1954). And Mr. Upperman used them exclusively for striped bass on the east coast. I've used them for smallmouth and largemouth bass since the mid 60s, in Illinois up to Ontario, and of course here in California for the big linesiders.

Hardly a new lure then, except to Giddings the author, another game warden who wrote well enough but didn't know much about fishing. If you speak with your local wardens, you will discover that hardly any of them actually fish. All due, but Giddings was not in the same class as Ken Jones, Tom Stienstra, or even Pete Ottesen.

Kind of astonishing that the Hair Raiser (or even Hawg Raiser) brands weren't sued, but then again those were less litigious times.

California, bless its pointy head, "borrows" or appropriates just about everything, but we all know the truth of Ecclesiastes 1:9.

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

https://echoesoflbi.com/the-lore-of-the-lure-upperman-bucktail-jig/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:48 pm
Trumbo

Hair Raisers Matter. These bucktail jig heads have singled out minority strippers and halibut for too long. Maybe use rotten squid to catch an equal amount of trashfish. Name all the fish in your bowl and register them to vote. Outee 5000
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 am
Ken Jones

Glen,

Yep, I agree that the lure, or a variation, was around a long time before 1977. That's what surprised me when I saw the story, a story written in 1977.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: