pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Kirk Lombard and Sea Forager, sea_forager [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:36 am
Rockfish Ninja

Trumbo wrote:
Rockfish Ninja wrote:
Ken Jones wrote:
I received an email from KIRK LOMBARD who as many of you know runs a BUSINESS in San Francisco called Sea Forager in which he takes people out and shows them how to forage for seafood (among other things). He was a long-time PFIC member, was once a fish counter for the DF&W, and we exchanged many a letter over the years regarding fish and our experiences. I've long considered him an expert when it comes to fishing and the sea and have also long considered him a good guy.

He was contacted by members of PFIC who have seen the recent posts by sea_forager and wants people to know that he is not the person who is making those posts.

Specifically, he says he would not burn spots which, with the detailed pictures and information in the recent posts, he feels is happening and which he knows is offensive to many.

It's a difficult topic for PFIC because we do want people to make reports and if we are a teaching site the more information usually the better. However, we understand the concern of many people have regarding "burning" shore spots (which I do not feel is valid regarding piers).

It's a topic that has been debating in depth over the years and we've never been able to come up with a solution favorable to all.

However, we can say for sure that these posts are not made by Kirk and any anger on the part of any anglers should not be directed his way.

Ken, I rarely put my 2 cents in here but I just wanted to make a suggestion. I feel that PFIC should *require* sea_forager to change his online name as to not create Kirk Lombard any more frustration and negative publicity to his (I presume) copyrighted business name.

I don't agree with sea_forager's foolhardy actions regarding fishing locations but he has the right to do what he wants regardless of who he offends or angers, or when his favorite spots get fished out. He just should not be able to do it using Kirk's business name, knowing that it has great potential to harm Kirk's reputation.

It seems to me like the only right thing to do.

This crap has gone far enough. Nobody really cared. Anyone that did and even those that donít knew it wasnít Lombard. Lombard can go suck a fat one.

This is why I don't rep here anymore, idiots like this that spew out garbage like that and have nothing constructive to contribute.

Pathetic.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 pm
porkchopXpress

Im probably going to regret posting on this topic, but here I go. I enjoy reading sea_forager posts. He has passion and enthusiasm that i appreciate. His posts are fun to read but maybe a little too much detail. I personally feel spot burning is real. Ive seen it first hand and it sucks. I frequent a spot for years and a youtuber burned it. Sure enough I saw a definite increase in anglers (one of whom told me he found the spot from the video) after the youtube video. My personal problem with it was the amount of trash that came with the increased traffic. Weekend warriors decide they want to give fishing a try and come out and trash the spot with no respect for the ocean. Sea_forager has every right to post whatever he wants but i feel he could hold back on some of the detail. To post a general location is great but to give such specifics is, in my opinion, spot burning and not necessary. As far as all these "newbies" who are learning and getting into shore angling, they should try finding spots on their own. I spend hours and hours hiking, driving and studying maps to find new spots. The process of finding a productive hole is educational and will help teach yourself what to look for. It is also so much more rewarding. Anyways, no disrespect to any one here and I'll end my rant
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Trumbo

Rockfish Ninja wrote:
Trumbo wrote:
Rockfish Ninja wrote:
Ken Jones wrote:
I received an email from KIRK LOMBARD who as many of you know runs a BUSINESS in San Francisco called Sea Forager in which he takes people out and shows them how to forage for seafood (among other things). He was a long-time PFIC member, was once a fish counter for the DF&W, and we exchanged many a letter over the years regarding fish and our experiences. I've long considered him an expert when it comes to fishing and the sea and have also long considered him a good guy.

He was contacted by members of PFIC who have seen the recent posts by sea_forager and wants people to know that he is not the person who is making those posts.

Specifically, he says he would not burn spots which, with the detailed pictures and information in the recent posts, he feels is happening and which he knows is offensive to many.

It's a difficult topic for PFIC because we do want people to make reports and if we are a teaching site the more information usually the better. However, we understand the concern of many people have regarding "burning" shore spots (which I do not feel is valid regarding piers).

It's a topic that has been debating in depth over the years and we've never been able to come up with a solution favorable to all.

However, we can say for sure that these posts are not made by Kirk and any anger on the part of any anglers should not be directed his way.

Ken, I rarely put my 2 cents in here but I just wanted to make a suggestion. I feel that PFIC should *require* sea_forager to change his online name as to not create Kirk Lombard any more frustration and negative publicity to his (I presume) copyrighted business name.

I don't agree with sea_forager's foolhardy actions regarding fishing locations but he has the right to do what he wants regardless of who he offends or angers, or when his favorite spots get fished out. He just should not be able to do it using Kirk's business name, knowing that it has great potential to harm Kirk's reputation.

This crap has gone far enough. Nobody really cared. Anyone that did and even those that donít knew it wasnít Lombard.

This is why I don't rep here anymore, idiots like this that spew out garbage like that and have nothing constructive to contribute.

Pathetic.

So you come here to defend Lombard instead of bragging about 10Ē rockfish? Ok
And Iíll contribute plenty as Iíve always have off and on. So pretentious people are.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:39 pm
k1n

Coming from both ends of the spectrum. We have ALL spotburned before. We have ALL chased hot bites we heard, we have all told people either knowing or unknowingly about honey holes. I hate to say it. The coast is a public resource. Sea forager is teaching people. That is what this website is about. If you don't like what he is doing, stop reading his reports. I get it, we all have those places we go to catch a few fish to get away from it all, but get all kinds of ornery when someone else you don't know ends up fishing there. Fish have fins, we have legs, find a new spot. If the people are trashing the place, clean it up. You do what you need to do to keep it clean for yourself. Be the change you want to be. Stop telling people what they shouldn't be doing because you don't like it.

And FYI, Kirk is a nice guy, but he (knowing or unknowingly) faced a lot of pushback too for his seminars. He has foraging classes where he would take people to show them what to do. Only to have those people go back to his spots and hit it hard causing some outrage amongst the regulars. In the end, he has his business to run and everyone moved on (and away in some cases). He was teaching people to utilize the public resource. Remember that, public resource.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:44 pm
sea++

porkchopXpress wrote:
Im probably going to regret posting on this topic, but here I go.

Eh, I've always found your contributions to be more than diplomatic, so feel free to express yourself however you'd like, even if we are at odds about a particular issue!

porkchopXpress wrote:
I personally feel spot burning is real. Ive seen it first hand and it sucks. I frequent a spot for years and a youtuber burned it. Sure enough I saw a definite increase in anglers (one of whom told me he found the spot from the video) after the youtube video. My personal problem with it was the amount of trash that came with the increased traffic. Weekend warriors decide they want to give fishing a try and come out and trash the spot with no respect for the ocean. Sea_forager has every right to post whatever he wants but i feel he could hold back on some of the detail. To post a general location is great but to give such specifics is, in my opinion, spot burning and not necessary.

I've zero data to correlate people posting about spots on the Internet and a direct increase in trash, but I can definitely see where you're coming from. Neither I nor friends that fish the same spots have experienced any serious uptick in people casting out, but that's probably more to do with the difficulty in reaching some of the spots as well as the low productivity-- you'll notice I'm not reporting about pulling limits of anything from these spots with the exception of dungies on occasion, but even then my method of pulling a limit is very different than most. Trash though, definitely. It's a key indicator that people have been there (or, if it's my first time to an area, that it's likely fishable). Trash bugs me to no end which is why I always carry a spare plastic bag with me for my own trash as well as picking up what I find at spots I cast out at. It's a problem for sure but I have no way of knowing that the people doing that are weekend warriors, locals that have seen my repots, or just people that have been fishing those spots for years and are just inclined to be super inconsiderate.

porkchopXpress wrote:
As far as all these "newbies" who are learning and getting into shore angling, they should try finding spots on their own. I spend hours and hours hiking, driving and studying maps to find new spots. The process of finding a productive hole is educational and will help teach yourself what to look for. It is also so much more rewarding.

I wholeheartedly agree that sniffing out a spot yourself is probably the most rewarding but that's also because I look forward to the exploration aspect of rockfishing (in this instance), and I also have the extreme fortune to live on the coast, so the cost both in terms of time, gas, etc... is mitigated by a large margin. But what about our fellow anglers that live 2, 3 hours away from the coast? What about those that make coastal fishing trips only a handful of times throughout the year? If my reports can help them make more informed decisions about where to spend their limited resources, then I personally think that's great and part of the reason why I post the kind of reports I do. I also do it because when it comes to other activities, be it finding a new restaurant to check out, a hotel or airbnb to rent, or campground to visit, I absolutely avail myself of the detailed reports and impressions from people online. It's an expectation really; I want to have the most complete information I can in order to make the most informed decision possible given I've limited time and money to do... well, anything really!

porkchopXpress wrote:
Anyways, no disrespect to any one here and I'll end my rant

None taken and I appreciate your perspective on things!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:59 am
Rockfish Ninja

Trumbo wrote:
Rockfish Ninja wrote:
Trumbo wrote:
Rockfish Ninja wrote:
Ken Jones wrote:

This crap has gone far enough. Nobody really cared. Anyone that did and even those that donít knew it wasnít Lombard.

Pathetic.

So you come here to defend Lombard instead of bragging about 10Ē rockfish? Ok
And Iíll contribute plenty as Iíve always have off and on. So pretentious people are.

I simply suggested a resolve for an issue, nothing more.
All you have "contributed" is "suck a fat one" and "bragging about 10" rockfish", .... it's pretty simple math there.

.... as I said ... pathetic.

Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:02 pm
Trumbo

You know whatís really pathetic. Turning a sport into some trendy hipster sideshow. Teaching people how to scrape rocks on the coast clean. Laughing to the bank the whole time. Gotta earn a living but never like that
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:55 am
steelhead

Trumbo wrote:
Rockfish Ninja wrote:
Ken Jones wrote:

+1
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 am
Ken Jones

Guys I think it's time to move on to other subjects. Sea_forager has offered to change his username and that will solve the problem as far as infringement on Kirk's business name. As far as spot burning, I imagine we may be arguing that issue for years.
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: