pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Santa Cruz, steamers lane, November [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am
nacho

I went to Santa Cruz in November and try my luck fishing in Steamers Lane. (I know, this report comes late). That place is always quite crowded with surfers, so fishing must be done with extreme precaution. Sometimes they do not seem to acknowledge the presence (or even right to exist Smile ) of fishermen, so some extra care is to be taken to avoid entangling them or casting close to them or in their ways.

In any case, I fish for around 3 hours out there. It was a very surprising evening. I almost didn't get any bite and was fighting with the kelp and losing gear as usual. It was a little bit boring, so at the end I was not paying a lot of attention to the fine movements of the fishing pole, and just let it be there, looking at the tip from time to time. In any case, since it was there for a while and was moving in a weird fashion, like snagged in kelp, I started reeling. There was some heavy weight at the other side, that felt like kelp, but, at some point, it clearly felt like a fish. Great!

The fish was not putting a lot of fight, but for sure was heavy. I finally managed to bring it to shore. To my surprise, it was a quite big guy! I tried to pull him in from the small cliff I was fishing, but the tip of the pole could not make it and broke. Some luck was still with me and the fish was still at the other side. So, I grabbed the line with my naked hands, and little by little pulled the fish in. When finally I got it I was amazed. It was a 27 inches lingcod, weighting more than 8 pounds. My first legal ling ever.

Since I was not expecting anything like that the fish didn't even fit my cooler. So, I took it as it is, and brought it to my car, to the delight and surprise of the many tourists and walkers that are always there.

It was a great catch. But I'm surprised on how little fight, and hot light bite, the ling put. Is that normal?

Details: hi/low, 3/0 hooks. 50 pounds leader and main line. 3 oz. weight sinkers.
Regards

ling-cod.jpg
 Description:
lingcod
 Filesize:  81.46 KB
 Viewed:  1477 Time(s)

ling-cod.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:05 pm
sea++

Ahh the famous ling catch that had uglystick and I rattled with jealousy hahah

Such a cool story of catching a real quality fish off the rocks! Congrats and thanks for sharing, and for inspiring me to explore a whole new section of coastline.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm
nacho

sea_forager wrote:
Ahh the famous ling catch that had uglystick and I rattled with jealousy hahah

No need. I think it was just a question of luck rather than good style or skills.

And talking about style or skills, I'm sorry for the many typos in my post.
* Several verbs in present should have been in past: tried, fished, etc...
* how light they bite rather than hot light bite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:28 pm
RobF

Lings will often bite very gently, and if the hook is swallowed or they are tangled in kelp, they usually won't fight much.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 pm
seabass_seeker

That's awesome! I've still to catch a keeper ling from shore. Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am
giantbrookie

Great fish and a terrific fishing story to with it. No matter how many lings you catch in the future, this one will always be special.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:40 am
red fish

Great shore catch! As was said by another, I have yet to catch a keeper ling from shore. I just don't do rock hopping at any areas that tend to bee too precarious. The one time I went 'out on a limb' at Fort Ross a bunch of years ago, I was only using pile worms and caught striped perch and greenling. Never thought then to use squid or anchovy to bag a ling. WTG-
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 pm
frozendog

Quality fish from shore! I agree with the others, you will remember that fish for as long as you go fishing.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:11 pm
porkchopXpress

Way to go on your first ling! I always find fishing West Cliff tough. I have lost a couple nice lings fishing those cliffs. Including a monster ling that would have been my PB. Was pulling it up by hand, like you did, and it broke the line three quarters of the way up. Still haunts me. Congrats man and thanks for the report
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:13 pm
Salty Nick v2

Nice going on the ling! Yeah, sometimes they just lightly nibble other times they will just grab-n-go - I've had more do the former. I've had some great fight with lings, but yeah, some have just come in like dead weight - especially, as Rob said, if they're tangled in kelp. It took me a long time to get my first legal ling from shore, so you're doing well!

Salty.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: