pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Last Fish of 2017, Morro Bay T Pier [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 pm
seabass_seeker

What's up pfic? I can't believe we're already 10 days in to 2018. For those of you who prefer to watch the video:

https://youtu.be/1vYHNRifm8g

For those of you who prefer a fishing story, read on!

The woman and I were able to get in one last trip to the coast before the new year. Fishing pressure in the valley has been on the rise lately making it hard for Ms. Anchovy to catch anything worthwhile. The cure is to head back to the sea.

I set her up with a simple hi-lo rig, #4 hooks, 1oz of weight baited up with squid. For myself I was fishing a texas rigged tube jig in my favorite sweet potato pie color. The conditions were calm, clear water, high tide peaked right around 7pm. We fished right as the sun was setting and man did the bite turn on.

Ms Anchovy struck first and got a keeper grass rockfish right off the bat. I followed up with so many tiny grassies I lost count. She also brought in a baby calico bass. I made a cast that landed about 1 foot from shore and immediately had a take. This one fought so well I thought I had hooked into a cabbie but instead brought up my biggest pier caught grassie. With a couple fish in the bucket we had enough for dinner.

I also observed other anglers fishing a little farther down. They were fishing with shrimp and did pretty good on the perch. Interestingly they caught a couple decent rockfish too which surprised me since I figured they were fishing over sand.

And that's it PFIC! Hope you guys are already having a good start to the year. This upcoming weekend has some nice looking low tides, maybe it's time for the first poke pole sesh of the year. Maybe it's time to find some razor clams muahaha.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 pm
sea++

Thanks for sharing that video! I'm surprised that you pulled in a keeper grassy on such a small hook but I've also seen keeper stripers hauled in on #4s by anglers perching along the shore so anything is possible!

Also that recipe you showed at the end looked so good! I'll definitely have to bookmark that for a future dinner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm
seabass_seeker

Haha thanks sea_forager. Ms Anchovy prefers using smaller hooks in general so I have to make sure she uses stouter hooks. Usually owners or gamakatsus.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:47 am
bgin

seabass_seeker wrote: "And that's it PFIC! Hope you guys are already having a good start to the year. This upcoming weekend has some nice looking low tides, maybe it's time for the first poke pole sesh of the year. Maybe it's time to find some razor clams muahaha."

Razor clams haven't made a showing around the Pismo-Oceano area in 4-5 years
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:36 am
red fish

Good report. Nice to see a pier report from Central. I have fished that pier once (and Morro Bay) with my friend Rich and wasn't able to catch anything. I was fishing off the right side trying to cast to the rock (for batray we were guessing). Quaint little town. The fish n chips and beer are good in the little restaurant/pub there. I saw some teen-agers catch a good-sized rockfish right between the couple of restaurants on the sea wall. Also, I fished the little rickety, wooden pier down the seawall that is barely wide enough to walk on. Looked promising, but no fish. About the same time as you fished, at dusk, approximately four years ago.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:35 pm
frozendog

Nice grassies and the dinner looks yummy. You're lucky to have a good fishing partner.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:02 pm
seabass_seeker

bgin wrote:
seabass_seeker wrote: "And that's it PFIC! Hope you guys are already having a good start to the year. This upcoming weekend has some nice looking low tides, maybe it's time for the first poke pole sesh of the year. Maybe it's time to find some razor clams muahaha."

Razor clams haven't made a showing around the Pismo-Oceano area in 4-5 years

Makes me really sad to hear, the last time I went was about 5 years ago now and I remember it being decent
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: