pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Southern extent of shore-based crab snaring? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:24 pm
ryanrs

I know you can (at times) snare dungeness in Half Moon Bay and north into various San Francisco ocean beaches, Marin county, etc. But I've heard that further south in Monterey Bay the dungeness are way too deep to snare from shore.

But what about more southern San Mateo beaches? Can you snare crabs from the sandy beaches at San Gregorio, Pescadero, etc? These are a little closer to me than HMB, so I'm wondering if they are productive, or if I should stick to the northern beaches.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:44 am
Rebop

I almost took a snare and bait with me today to San Gregorio but decided to focus on perch (glad I did because the perch bite was hot).

I live just up the road from San Gregorio and try to hit it up a few times a week. Not always crabbing but 50/50 shot there's at least a wash up keeper and a bunch torn up from the seagulls, so I know they are there.

Last time I went out there to just target crabs was November 14. They were coming every time I reeled in but all were 1/2 inch short or so (all males if I remember right). I think Tunitas Creek Beach is a better spot for crabs but the hike down and those Harold Lloyd maneuvers with the ropes aggravates my knee so I don't do it often. I might try San G again in the next day or so and I'll chuck the snare out and report back.

San Gregorio is tough but at least the lagoon breached with the rain and big tides. The water was up to my belly to get in and out before. Now it's not so bad. Be prepared for at least knee deep lagoon though.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 am
ryanrs

Answering my own question a little: 20 years ago I found a bunch of dungeness crabs at Pescadero Beach, in the lagoon. It must have been summertime, since I was at the beach with my parents and siblings. I remember that the lagoon was not quite connected to the ocean (low creek flow). I don't know why there were dungeness in the lagoon, but there were quite a few (more than 10). It was mid-afternoon and the crabs kept approaching the edge of the lagoon, in about a foot of water. I managed to grab three or four, but ended up putting them back because I had no idea what to do with 'em.

I do not know how the crabs got into the lagoon. Storm washed them in? Someone dumped them? Aliens? Or is this normal dungeness behavior I just haven't heard about before? These were full grown adults, not baby crabs.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:31 am
Rebop

I think you just answered a question I didn't even really realize I had yet.
Every time I go down there I look in the lagoon to see what sort of creatures potentially got washed in with the tide (or if they even do). For some reason I always sort of expect a couple crabs or a lost jacksmelt or something. I wouldn't be surprised. That current is very strong when the ocean spills back over. Everything from logs the size of my truck to massive tangles of bull kelp and everything else gets pushed up in there.

Now I know it's a real thing. Potentially. Very interesting. Or aliens?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm
Sin_Coast

It's probably legal to harvest dungies from Pescadero Ck [lagoon] only during steelhead season (Dec 1 thru March 7) on Weds, Sat, and Sundays.

And yes you are correct about dungies being too deep to snare once you get south of Ano Nuevo (sea otters).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 pm
ryanrs

Sin_Coast wrote:
(sea otters)

Ah-ha! Thanks for explaining the underlying reason Monterey crabs live so deep.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 pm
Trumbo

[img][/img]
Luckiest otter in the world
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:28 pm
Rebop

Holy smokes.
Just got back from a San G recon mission. That was a little scary. The creek was flowing very strong cutting a deep trough through the sand where I normally cross (while crossing I found a chest deep hole. Lucky me). Once I figured out how to get to the ocean by hugging the north side of the cliff, I realised the tide was gonna strand me down there so I split. Too windy to throw a snare anyways.
I'll try again tomorrow or the next. Maybe.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:08 pm
sea++

Rebop wrote:
Too windy to throw a snare anyways.
I'll try again tomorrow or the next. Maybe

Be careful out there. Looking at the swell report for the remaining week, it looks pretty rough for throwing a snare.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:25 pm
Rebop

Good point. It's just so tempting since it's right at the end of my street. I'll be smart!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: