pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Missing the Mud Marlin Derby - 2014 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:17 am
Ken Jones

http://kenjonesfishing.com/2014/06/13th-annual-mud-marlin-derby-—-2014/

Perhaps a derby in 2018 at Paradise Beach but it would have to be done during the day.

Not too many piers in SF Bay that are big enough for a derby and are open at night.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:25 pm
red fish

Ken Jones wrote:
http://kenjonesfishing.com/2014/06/13th-annual-mud-marlin-derby-—-2014/

Perhaps a derby in 2018 at Paradise Beach but it would have to be done during the day.

Not too many piers in SF Bay that are big enough for a derby and are open at night.

Okay, so here’s a response to this Ken.
I’m all for it ...and I would like to see Minnow.. uh... Justin Morris partake in it.
That’s the only way I can actually see it fly. He pulled off a few very successful events there himself (along with his dad’s support). Now, he’s a grown man fishing...
It could be a nice day for about (30) Anglers if we could pick a day that not many regulars decided to show up.
Otherwise, plan for the return of MMGT 15 2020 Berkeley Pier (the second day that will live in infamy ).

C28913E4-A3BC-400A-98E4-2E534FCD9FC1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.47 KB
 Viewed:  914 Time(s)

C28913E4-A3BC-400A-98E4-2E534FCD9FC1.jpeg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:04 pm
simplycook

Hi Ken,

Here's some suggestions on some piers that I believe are open at night.

- Alameda Rockwell?
- Oyster Point / Sierra Point / Genentech
- Torpedo Wharf / Fort Point
- Fort Baker
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:04 am
red fish

simplycook wrote:
Hi Ken,

Here's some suggestions on some piers that I believe are open at night.

- Alameda Rockwell?
- Oyster Point / Sierra Point / Genentech
- Torpedo Wharf / Fort Point
- Fort Baker

Good suggestions Kevin. The Alameda Rockwall actually is a good batray and shark jetty and is a “free pier.” You have to be neat and organized as it is not an even surface with rails but it definitely is a possibility. A derby there should end at sunset which should be about 8pm that time of year. The derby could be like 2-8pm. Rays and sharks bite there all time of day.

The main thing would be a pre-sign up to see how many people are still interested in such an event anymore. Then we could vote on location and get an approximate number of participants. Maybe even Marin Rod & Gun (but there could be no “walk-in’s.”
Once again we should have an outreach to our young members, youth, meaning people like Justin Morris that is about 22.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm
Ken Jones

Unfortunately most of the large piers in the bay have one problem or another. Fort Baker (Sausalito), Fort Point (SF) and Pier 7 (SF) are large and open at night but are not particularly good piers for rays.

McNear and Point Pinole close at night and are not that great for rays.

Dumbarton is good for rays but closes at night.

I think Paradise would be a decent large pier that gets good numbers of rays, and has nice facilities, but again we would have to do the derby during the day so it might stop some from attending.

The Alameda breakwall and other shore spots might work for some but people would need a license (and some spots are still closed at night).

It's really up to the "pier rats" and what people would like to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 pm
red fish

Ken Jones wrote:
Unfortunately most of the large piers in the bay have one problem or another. Fort Baker (Sausalito), Fort Point (SF) and Pier 7 (SF) are large and open at night but are not particularly good piers for rays.

McNear and Point Pinole close at night and are not that great for rays.

Dumbarton is good for rays but closes at night.

I think Paradise would be a decent large pier that gets good numbers of rays, and has nice facilities, but again we would have to do the derby during the day so it might stop some from attending.

The Alameda breakwall and other shore spots might work for some but people would need a license (and some spots are still closed at night).

Maybe you could make up an electronic survey sheet and we could get an idea of how
many are still interested in such an event and where they would like to see it happen.
Then we could get some kind of data before the spring comes around. I am really wondering what our numbers are looking like these days.
Dumbarton has rays/sharks but you can’t fish there at low tide (save the end). Alameda Rockwall, you can fish low or high tide and is a “public pier.” Just no rails or rod holders and we would need to have a couple nets with handles about 8 feet long or so.
Again, I would like input from “the younger generation,” i.e., Justin Morris. He could promote attendance if he decided to participate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 am
ryanrs

Can you apply for a special event permit to stay after hours?

There's a reason cities close their piers at night, and it's not to prevent things like the mud marlin derby. I bet you could get permission to stay late if you contacted the city/agency and came across like an organized, professional person.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: