pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Species #1000: Beyond the Fish [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:06 am
calaznfisher

Species #1000: Beyond the Fish

I strained my eyes to see a tiny red dot as it spun and slowly grew in size in an abyss of aquamarine water. The mighty Pacific Ocean, prone to fits of watercraft smashing violence was strangely calm, almost as though it was holding it’s breath along with me.

I wondered what lay at the end of my line? What species would be entered into my database in the blank expanse of white that lay next to the number: 1000.

The red dot continued to grow, and soon it became clearer and clearer in the tropical sunshine off of the coast of Hawaii. It morphed as it slowly ascended from 700 feet deep, appearing to be flattened but pointy, angular yet bulbous.

For a moment, the world seemed silent. The lapping of the waves ceased, the wind slowed to a whisper, the boat gently bobbed on the ocean, and the sun cast a weak beam of light through the hazy morning cloud cover. In this moment of peace, my mind wandered to what brought me to this exact moment, the culmination of a lifetime of experiences and this pinnacle of achievement.

Although I had started fishing at a very young age and had always been enamored with our underwater friends, it was not until 2009 that I learned about lifelist fishing. That is, the pursuit of as many different species of fish as possible, to be counted and tabulated into a life-long list of species caught. It seemed like a perfect fit, combining multiple hobbies of mine, from photography to traveling and of course, fishing! My first species hunting trip to Hawaii that year ended up being a large bust, due to me falling ill for almost the entirety of the trip. However, the species hunting bug had been planted, and there was no turning back. I had contracted a chronic case of lifelist fishing.

In the subsequent 8 years, the journey of lifelist fishing has taken me on the trip of a lifetime. While I will admit that obsessive lifelist fishing requires one to have both financial freedom and a fair amount of leisure time, I also found that those who are truly passionate about pursuing their dreams always find a way. And the payoff for the sacrifices that were made in my pursuit were even higher than I could have ever imagined.

To be continued at my blog...
https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/2018/01/02/species-1000-beyond-the-fish/

All photos property of COE
Photo references (compilations listed clockwise from top left)
1. Assorted species photo
2. a. Atlantic Ocean, New York, USA
b. Tasik Temenggor, Malaysia
c. Lord Howe Island, Australia
d. Red Hills, Arizona, USA
3. a. Lord Howe Island, Australia
b. Lord Howe Island, Australia
c. Rio Grande River, Colorado, USA
d. Verde River, Arizona, USA
4. a. Unnamed Lake, New Jersey, USA
b. Mingo National Wildlife Refuge, Missouri, USA
c. Fuerteventura, Canary Islands, Spain
d. Mazatlan, Mexico
5. a. Puerto Lobos, Baja California, Mexico
b. San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico
c. Taipei, Taiwan
d. Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, Mexico

Visit my blog to see what new species of fish I've encountered in my travels across the world:
https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:39 am
Sofa King

You sir, are amazing.
I skim most blogs but I had to read yours, every last word.
What an amazing adventure.
What an amazing accomplishment.
Thank you for sharing this adventure/part of your life with us,
I'm going to have to read it again.
S.K.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 pm
calaznfisher

Sofa King wrote:
You sir, are amazing.
I skim most blogs but I had to read yours, every last word.
What an amazing adventure.
What an amazing accomplishment.
Thank you for sharing this adventure/part of your life with us,
I'm going to have to read it again.
S.K.

Thank you, S.K.

I do appreciate your kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed the read. Hopefully, I will continue to have interesting stories and adventures to share as I continue towards #2000!

Visit my blog to see what new species of fish I've encountered in my travels across the world:
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:16 am
Salty Nick v2

Congrats on #1000! Always enjoy your adventures and diverse catches! You should start a YouTube channel.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm
Sin_Coast

Congrats on #1000, and thanks for sharing your adventures with us!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm
red fish

Have you caught this one, what is it?

D6A5E552-D907-4258-8103-62A04AC511A5.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.5 KB
 Viewed:  1530 Time(s)

D6A5E552-D907-4258-8103-62A04AC511A5.jpeg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:33 pm
ryanrs

Looks like a baby cabezon. I caught one like that last week while poke poling the HMB hetty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 am
Sofa King

red fish wrote:
Have you caught this one, what is it?

Not in a few years. They used to be a nuisance fish.
Wonder where they all went.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm
red fish

ryanrs wrote:
Looks like a baby cabezon. I caught one like that last week while poke poling the HMB hetty.

The first thing I thought was that it was a baby cabezon also but someone said, “it has horns, it can’t be a cabezon.”

I figure CalAznFisherman would know or Makairaa or someone would know as that is their area of study. Someone caught it while I was at Ferry Point Richmond.

Of all the places CAF has been around the world, the Pacfic Northwest for sturgeon is still the most intriguing to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:01 pm
calaznfisher

Salty Nick v2 wrote:
Congrats on #1000! Always enjoy your adventures and diverse catches! You should start a YouTube channel.

Salty.

Thanks Salty! I was working with some producers for a while trying to figure something out, but I just couldn't meet the time demands during residency. A quality youtube channel would be great, but I just don't have the time to create enough content to keep an audience. I guess an outdated blog will have to do for now haha.

Sin_Coast wrote:
Congrats on #1000, and thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

Thanks!! Hope you're still finding some time to get out there and slay some fish!

red fish wrote:
ryanrs wrote:

The first thing I thought was that it was a baby cabezon also but someone said, “it has horns, it can’t be a cabezon.”

I figure CalAznFisherman would know or Makairaa or someone would know as that is their area of study. Someone caught it while I was at Ferry Point Richmond.

Of all the places CAF has been around the world, the Pacfic Northwest for sturgeon is still the most intriguing to me.

Hey Robert, it's been a while hope you've been well!

You're spot on, the opercular spines gives it away that it isn't a Cabby, as well as the non-notched first dorsal fin. To be honest, it's extremely difficult for me to identify a sculpin to the species level without some detailed pictures of the maxilla, ventral fins, vent, cheek/peduncle scale patterns, etc.

Looking at your picture, it appears it has 15 soft dorsal rays, and coupled with it's apparent size (~5in?) and range (Northern California?), possibilities could be Bonyhead Sculpin (Artedius notospilotus) or Smoothhead Sculpin (Artedius lateralis). If you would like a more accurate assessment of the species, I could always send it to some of the marine biologists I know?

That Pacific Northwest roadtrip was totally awesome. Although not particularly species rich, to finally catch, touch, and release all those sturgeon was just an amazing experience. If you need intel on making a similar trip, just let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: