pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> End of 2017 at Marin Headlands [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:53 am
giantbrookie

Fishing time: about 11 am to 4 pm. Outgoing tide (high at about 9 am today +7 with low at 4 pm of -1.5). Waves forecast at 1-2' and this held until about 330 pm when waves increased to 2-4'.
Fish caught: Me 2 striped surf perch 10-12", 1 black surf perch 10", 1 grass rockfish 10", 1 (undersized) 10" kelp greenling, 1 rock crab 4.5". Lee (son) 4 striped surf perch 10-13".
Rigs. Me 9' vintage mid 90s budget surf rod w Daiwa reel of same vintage 40lb braid, 40 lb mono leader in hi-lo configuration with three-way swivel connectors and 4 oz weight, size 1 and size 4 hooks baited with market shrimp.
Son: 6.5' 4 piece Daiwa trout fishing backpack rod, Pflueger reel with 20lb braid, 20 lb mono leader in same hi-lo configuration as above with 2 oz and later 4 oz weight and size 1 hooks baited with market shrimp.

My son and I had targeted this low surf day to close out 2017 and hoped for some rockfish, cabezon, etc, firing off of some rocks, but we could hardly complain because the action was certainly good enough to keep us excited. At one point we were getting hit on every cast but were getting bait stripped on over half of them. Very few folks were at this beach and we saw only three others fishing (skunked so far as we could tell. I had dug up some sand crabs earlier and the day and tried them some stretched of the beach but got no results.

This trip was the first time we tried out a different sort of frozen shrimp. These were these big frozen whole prawns (shell on, everything on) that we cut up to reasonable chunks to put on our hooks. These stayed on our hook much better than the usual stuff we get at supermarkets. In addition these are much cheaper (2 lb box for $Cool and are available at various Asian grocery stores (purchased in San Leandro). We ended up with enough fish for 2 dinners for the family (of 4). We thought about keeping the crab but decided it wasn't big enough to have enough meat. We wished we had kept Lee's big rock crab from three weeks ago at HMB South Jetty; that crab was in excess of 6". On another note, our best spots on the rocks at this location are only reasonable at very low surf. I wouldn't feel comfortable if the surf got higher. At 4' things would be dicey. The footing on top of the wavecut platform is also treacherous with all of the kelp, too. All fish were fried with teriyaki sauce and accompanied with miso soup and steamed broccoli with Japanese style sesame dressing and steamed white rice. Adults also enjoyed a very nice Portuguese white wine (courtesy of my brother who was visiting over the holidays). The surf perch seemed to me to be firmer than usual and tasty, but the rockfish was certainly better in both flavor and texture.

5123sunseton2017low.jpg
 Description:
The sun sets on a fine "rookie season" for us in along the Pacific Coast. Happy New Year and best fishing wishes to all in 2018.
 Filesize:  41.59 KB
 Viewed:  1525 Time(s)

5123sunseton2017low.jpg

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:40 am
Ken Jones

Sounds like a very nice trip to an always beautiful area.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:56 pm
frozendog

Nice report and a beautiful sunset.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:12 pm
Troutdog

Nice outing GB. I need to give fishing the rocks a try sometimes. Those rockies look a bit more tasty than the surf perch I typically go after. Wine? No home brew??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:57 pm
giantbrookie

Troutdog wrote:
Nice outing GB. I need to give fishing the rocks a try sometimes. Those rockies look a bit more tasty than the surf perch I typically go after. Wine? No home brew??

Yes, this was a surf perch heavy haul after a run of rockfish, cabezon, and greenling from the Sonoma Coast and the two HMB jetties. Comparing them side-by-side I agree with most folks that rockfish, cabbies, and greenling tend to be tastier than the surf perch I catch. However, the perch I catch (mostly striped with some pile, rubberlip, and black thrown in) are not supposed to be as tasty as BSP or CSP which I have yet to catch.
Now for a few (additional) culinary and beverage notes:
These fish were the main course of one dinner (New Year's eve) and one of the (multiple) main courses of the New Year's dinner. The wine the New Year's eve was this Portuguese white wine my bro had brought over and the wine the 2nd night was Meiomi Pinot Noir and I recall that one a pre-dinner drink of my latest version of my Belgian Black Imperial IPA. We also had some leftover fried fillets for lunch and dinner the day after New Year. The 3rd dinner was accompanied by Bigfoot aged in red wine barrels. In addition, we boiled some of the heads and fillet-discard material from the New Year's Eve fish to make fish stock that was the base for the monster New Year breakfast soup thing (ozoni) enjoyed by many Japanese folks. Normally we use a pre-packaged dried soup stock mix which is a bonito-based stock (dashi). We very much enjoyed the flavor and aroma of our freshly made fish stock, to which we add all sorts of stuff, including the disks of mochi, some veggies, kamaboko (fish cake), shrimp, and the pieces of surf perch meat taken from the bones when making the fish stock. I have an enormous appetite for this and a tradition going back more than 40 years to my teen years, which is that the total number of mochi consumed must be in double digits (my dad would always hit this mark, too).
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:08 pm
Troutdog

Sounds absolutely delicious GB, but I knew there would be some home brew involved in there somewhere. Tight lines in 2018!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:23 pm
sea++

Great way to cap off 2017, GB! Without giving away your spot in the headlands, would you say you were north or south of Rodeo Beach? Just asking because of what you said regarding the swell and water level needing to be down due to safety; it's helpful for me to keep tips like that stickied to general map areas that I'm looking to explore in the future.

As for perch and mushiness, next time before you fry one of them up try soaking it in salt & water mixture for 45min and then pat dry with a paper towel before frying. The soak will firm/pucker the meat up and will help mitigate some of the mushiness most perch are known for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:04 pm
giantbrookie

sea_forager wrote:
Without giving away your spot in the headlands, would you say you were north or south of Rodeo Beach?
As for perch and mushiness, next time before you fry one of them up try soaking it in salt & water mixture for 45min and then pat dry with a paper towel before frying. The soak will firm/pucker the meat up and will help mitigate some of the mushiness most perch are known for.

Thanks for the tips for cooking the perch. As for the location, it is south of Rodeo Beach. An additional hint is that the beach is reached by an "official" hiking trail. Unlike the other hiking trail to a beach/cove along this shoreline parking is almost always easy to find at the trailhead parking lot. Also, check out the background in the sunset picture, because there are some distant features that can be recognized even at that low resolution.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: