pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Mono backing size? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:18 pm
ryanrs

Do I match mono strength to the braid? For example, if I use 80# braid, do I back it with 80# or 100# mono? The size difference is huge and I'm not even sure such stiff mono will 'work' with a normal-to-largeish spinning reel. On the other hand, it would kind of suck to have your entire spool play out and finally snap at the backing, losing all your line, heh.

And I guess I have the same question about leaders. I see people talking of mating heavy leaders to a weaker main line. But don't you want the leader to break if it gets snagged, not the main line? Where do you put the weak link?

This is for surf fishing in a rocky area where snags are a regular occurrence, as well as kelp, etc. I sure don't need my reel's max length capacity, so I figured I'd go with a heavy braid like 80# for abrasion resistance, yanking through kelp, flinging crab snares, etc. But what kind of line do I mate it to at either end?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:57 am
mav

Man, been sick since Christmas.

For backing, I'll do tape on a fresh spool of braid. I'll do a mono backing if the spool is no longer fully filled with braid. I usually match or go a little heavier with the mono. It doesnt take much.

I hear different things too with leaders and I guess it depends on the application and what works best for you. Some non structure fishing require a heavier leader because of toothy fish. When I fish bait in heavy rocks, sometimes I want my leader to break, if I get snagged. I sometimes throw artificial plastics into heavy rocks. I use #100 braid. Mono is jusy too stiff to cut it.

I guess you can try something that might work for you. I do different fishing so I'm no expert. Maybe, #80 braid as a main line with tape backing and #80 mono leader for better abrasion resistance. See how it works out for you.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: