pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> San Clemente Pier Question [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:56 pm
JayRay

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your feed back on the different brand hoop nets. I received two promar ambush nets and going to take them to San Clemente Pier this week but needed some help.

San Clemente is my closest pier but I have never been to it so I was wanting to get some feedback on the depth there and how long a rope I will need to get to the bottom.

Also was wanting to know is there is a usual direction for the undercurrent there so I don't get tangled in the pilings. I fish Capistrano Beach often which is not far, few miles north, and it has a natural current to the left. I wasn't sure if it would be better to throw off the Left or Right side of the pier to avoid getting pushed into the pilings by the current.

I have been wanting to try hoop netting for awhile so should be fun learning another type of fishing. Drop a net for some bugs and then fish for bait to keep it full.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:33 am
makairaa

The current there is usually the same as capo beach, right to left. As long as you are not dropping it right on the piling the current rarely is strong enough to move the nets around. Don't be afraid to move around. Quite often the best spot on that pier is just past the surf because it does not get hit as often. 75 feet of rope should be enough to get you to the bottom anywhere near the pier. I usually use 100 feet so I can toss it out away from the pier. Also remember you can only use 2 fishing devices at a time on a pier, so if you have 2 nets out technically you cannot have a rod in the water.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 am
Mahigeer

Check out if the tide is going in or out. If is incoming, cast the south side. If out, cast the north side.

I have had luck at various locations on that pier.

If I go again, I will send you a PM to see if you can join me.

I will also introduce you to a local who is a great guy and member here.

It is best to have 100' rope. Cast between the pilings and somewhat away from the pier. I have lost one and recovered another net there.

Ambush nets are heavier than others and you can also add weight to keep it put. Specially made lead weight or section of a heavy chain zip-tied.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:39 pm
JayRay

I will PM you my number. Minimum days at work this week so going to go try it out during the day first so I am not bumping around in the dark figuring out how to setup and use the gear. Going to run one net and one rod so I can make bait and start with a few frozen macs from Hogans.
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: