pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Promar Nets - Differences? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:41 am
JayRay

I am wanting to get into hooping for Lobster/Crab from a pier and looking at the Promar nets. Does anyone have any pro's or con's they can share for the Eclipse VS the Ambush series? These seem to be the go to nets so wanted to get some feedback good or bad before I buy a couple of them.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 pm
smelt4bait

JayRay,
Iíve used them both along with the flat nets. In my opinion, other than the option to collapse the eclipse for easy handling and transport, either does well/better than the flat nets. I have had to change the bungies which keep the eclipse together as they stretched out in a couple years. I like the ambush myself, they are more sturdy and sink out and hold the bottom better. I hoop out on my boat mostly and sinking and holding the bottom is needed. I have had nights where the ambush/eclipse nets didnít do as well as the flat ones, but I blame that on location not the net type. Pull hard and fast, thatís the key, and donít stop until on the surface. Good Luck, let us know how you do. ERIK
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 am
Mahigeer

Here is what I have experienced:
Flat nets:
PRO---Ease of transport in car and to the pier----Can be used to land fishóNo set up time needed---cheaper than others---Usually comes with rope and bridle.
CONS---lobster can eat bait in the pocket or the bait box attached in the bottom center ring without being in the net---The initial 3-4 feet of pull must be done fast before lobster kicks out of the net.
There is a special bait box with clips available. The clips attach to the large (top) ring and center the bait box, regardless of where the bottom center ring lands on the bottom. Lobster has to come to the center of the net to get to the bait. I have seen underwater video of several lobsters swirl out of the net while being pulled.

Ambush nets:
PRO---Once in the net, the lobster cannot get out in a hurry during the pull by going horizontal---Does not require fast initial pull---Bait box attached to the center ring is always in the center of the net---No setup is needed---Comes with bridle.
CON---Does not come with a rope---More expensive than the flat net (not sure about Eclipse)---Welded structure requires more room in the car, on the pier cart---Not too suitable for landing fish.

Eclipse nets: (What I use):
PRO---It folds flat for transportation in the car or on the pier cart---Same as Ambush regarding pull speed and location of bait box and center ring pocket.
CONS---More expensive than the flat net---Does not come with bridle or rope---It requires setup--- I had some that I had to use a spreader for setup!---The bungees for the legs get stretched. I cut them out and use zip-ties at holes at the bottom of the stands---Not suitable for landing fish.
I attach my bridle to the bottom ring to prevent the legs from pulling out of position. AHI instruction shows attaching to upper ring. I think it is not correct. Especially if there is a heavy weight like kelp or eel in the net.

The conical nets have become very popular due to their effectiveness. I attended a meeting at Fish and Wildlife office regarding to whether to ban them or not. The commercial lobster fishermen president was there to see if they are going to ban them. Although he said they did not care, he was attending all of the meetings regarding this issue!!!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:55 pm
JayRay

Mahigeer wrote:
Here is what I have experienced:
Flat nets:
PRO---Ease of transport in car and to the pier----Can be used to land fishóNo set up time needed---cheaper than others---Usually comes with rope and bridle.
CONS---lobster can eat bait in the pocket or the bait box attached in the bottom center ring without being in the net---The initial 3-4 feet of pull must be done fast before lobster kicks out of the net.
There is a special bait box with clips available. The clips attach to the large (top) ring and center the bait box, regardless of where the bottom center ring lands on the bottom. Lobster has to come to the center of the net to get to the bait. I have seen underwater video of several lobsters swirl out of the net while being pulled.

Ambush nets:
PRO---Once in the net, the lobster cannot get out in a hurry during the pull by going horizontal---Does not require fast initial pull---Bait box attached to the center ring is always in the center of the net---No setup is needed---Comes with bridle.
CON---Does not come with a rope---More expensive than the flat net (not sure about Eclipse)---Welded structure requires more room in the car, on the pier cart---Not too suitable for landing fish.

Eclipse nets: (What I use):
PRO---It folds flat for transportation in the car or on the pier cart---Same as Ambush regarding pull speed and location of bait box and center ring pocket.
CONS---More expensive than the flat net---Does not come with bridle or rope---It requires setup--- I had some that I had to use a spreader for setup!---The bungees for the legs get stretched. I cut them out and use zip-ties at holes at the bottom of the stands---Not suitable for landing fish.
I attach my bridle to the bottom ring to prevent the legs from pulling out of position. AHI instruction shows attaching to upper ring. I think it is not correct. Especially if there is a heavy weight like kelp or eel in the net.

The conical nets have become very popular due to their effectiveness. I attended a meeting at Fish and Wildlife office regarding to whether to ban them or not. The commercial lobster fishermen president was there to see if they are going to ban them. Although he said they did not care, he was attending all of the meetings regarding this issue!!!

When you replace the bungie on the eclipse with the Zip ties do they hold up well?

I like the eclipse since it folds down, is a few inches larger in diameter and will fit in the mustang.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:18 pm
Mahigeer

The zip-ties work great, but three of them have to be cut each time in order for the other legs to fold down.

You can also place the legs inside of the net, before hooking them to the large (bottom) ring. It will keep them from coming off toward outside.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:19 pm
erichinsc

I have been hooping for more than 13 yrs. In my opinion the best net is the ambush. It comes in 32" & 36". I hoop from a pier. I recommend using 100' of the smaller diameter rope, reducing the size of the float will help when the current or swell are strong. Also a good bait cage can be made from bird feeder & fishing stringer.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: