pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Rockies, Dungies, and Perchies, Oh My [November 2017 Report] [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:37 pm
Trumbo

These days the only fish I eat raw is local salmon and tuna. Never seen no worms in them. Hey some folks eat jacksmelt raw and live into their hundreds. Whatever your system can handle.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:54 am
ING

It is a great catch for November! Good job!
I only surprised a little bit about hook 2/0 for perch...
Is it not too big?
"... I put a 1/4oz split shot over a 2/0 circle hook with a modest chunk of shrimp on there and managed to pull in 2 undersized cabs, a redtail just short of legal, but finally caught 3 larger perch ..."
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:19 am
ING

You are great cook! Are you professional?
Could you reveal the recipe of Japanese "chawanmushi": a mixture of uni, dungeness, egg, and dashi all mixed and steamed together.?
How long did you steamed it?
Thank you!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 pm
sea_forager

ING wrote:
Is it not too big?

I mean, you're not wrong. The mouth on most perch are generally smaller and so if I'm specifically targeting them I will use a #2 hook or even a #4. When I'm fishing these rocky areas however, my target isn't really perch, it's rockfish, so I will use larger 2/0 & 4/0 hooks. The perch that are hanging out in those areas tend to be striped sea perch which run a bit larger and will definitely bite a 2/0 hook with some shrimp on it. Obviously I also caught a large walleye, redtail, and calico with a 2/0 hook as well-- I've even seen videos of hungry redtails being caught from shore in NorCal with a Daiwa SP minnow, so it definitely happens.

If you're specifically targeting perch though, definitely go with a smaller hook size. If you are rockfishing and want to increase your chance of adding a larger perch or two to your bag, then a 2/0 is fine.

ING wrote:
Could you reveal the recipe of Japanese "chawanmushi": a mixture of uni, dungeness, egg, and dashi all mixed and steamed together.?
Thank you!

Chawanmushi is a pretty simple savory steamed egg dish that you can put a number of things in there from roe, to uni, shrimp, crab, mushroom, etc.. Here's a link to google search result with a bunch of different recipes for it: https://goo.gl/HuhsjJ. The amount of time you steam it is going to depend on how much dashi and other stuff you mixed with the egg. I think I steamed mine for 15 minutes but it was a larger bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:35 pm
markdogg

great job forager!!

your posts are always so inspiring! I wish I had your dedication.

Thanks, as always, for the shareout!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:45 pm
rons reel repair

Duncan's Landing Fences. Since 1937 when it became a part of the State Parks more than 40 people have Drowned on the Rocks there. I have lived in the area since 1949 and have witnessed a number of Rescues including a Kayaker just this last week.

Ron
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:48 pm
ING

sea_forager wrote:
ING wrote:
Is it not too big?

I mean, you're not wrong. The mouth on most perch are generally smaller and so if I'm specifically targeting them I will use a #2 hook or even a #4. When I'm fishing these rocky areas however, my target isn't really perch, it's rockfish, so I will use larger 2/0 & 4/0 hooks. The perch that are hanging out in those areas tend to be striped sea perch which run a bit larger and will definitely bite a 2/0 hook with some shrimp on it. Obviously I also caught a large walleye, redtail, and calico with a 2/0 hook as well-- I've even seen videos of hungry redtails being caught from shore in NorCal with a Daiwa SP minnow, so it definitely happens.

If you're specifically targeting perch though, definitely go with a smaller hook size. If you are rockfishing and want to increase your chance of adding a larger perch or two to your bag, then a 2/0 is fine.

ING wrote:
Thank you!

Chawanmushi is a pretty simple savory steamed egg dish that you can put a number of things in there from roe, to uni, shrimp, crab, mushroom, etc.. Here's a link to google search result with a bunch of different recipes for it: https://goo.gl/HuhsjJ. The amount of time you steam it is going to depend on how much dashi and other stuff you mixed with the egg. I think I steamed mine for 15 minutes but it was a larger bowl.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:31 pm
ING

ING wrote:
sea_forager wrote:
ING wrote:
Is it not too big?

ING wrote:
Thank you!

Thank you, sea_forager! I'll definitely try yours recipe! It is looks yamy.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:12 am
Sin_Coast

Excellent report and info! Thanks for sharing. And congrats on a delicious November harvest!
Ps that "walleye" might be a silver perch. Walleyes tend to get taller shoulders when they reach that length, kinda like calico perch do (shaped like a disc golf frisbee). While silver perch still keep their elongated shape when they're that long.
Anyways, thanks again for sharing. Your reports remind me of the pfic 'good old days.'
Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 am
sea_forager

Sin_Coast wrote:
Excellent report and info! Thanks for sharing. And congrats on a delicious November harvest!
Ps that "walleye" might be a silver perch. Walleyes tend to get taller shoulders when they reach that length, kinda like calico perch do (shaped like a disc golf frisbee). While silver perch still keep their elongated shape when they're that long.

It's hard to make out on my picture because the pelvic fins aren't flared out, but they are black-tipped, as is the tail fin, which I believe are the main identifiers for Walleyes. Is that correct? Other than that you're right, those guys are pretty much identical. Though if this were a silver perch it would've been a monster given that it clocked in at 11" and the DFW website lists them and generally growing up to 10.5".

The perch that always through me for a loop when identifying them are the unbarred version of the BSPs, or calico vs. redtail if they're juveniles.

And thanks for the compliment! I've learned a ton from the older reports here on PFIC and wanted to give back, especially to those that aren't fortunate enough to live right on the coast and rely on info found on places like PFIC to plan and make the most of their limited time out here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 pm
giantbrookie

Just as an update, I took a few hours today (Tues 12/5) to cast around the Sonoma Coast after doing some geologic field work (and getting a bit banged up on a fall). A couple of places that I had thought looked promising looking at the aerial view turned out to be a bit too difficult of access, so I headed to the same spot visited on this thread. I had intended to fire a few casts off and there. I figured if things were really slow or conditions poor, I'd go take a snoop at the Bodega S. Jetty. However, the fishing was tantalizing enough so that I didn't leave.
I fished from about 1230 to 415 pm during a falling tide (high tide was something like 11 am or so). The swell was moderate. Looked to be about 5' (forecast for Salmon Creek was 6-9') for the big sets but much less between (more like 3'). Equipment old (purchased mid 90s) Daiwa AG4000x spinning reel on 9' Master surf rod w 40lb braid and 40lb mono leader in hi-lo set up with triple swivel connectors, 1/0 hooks with market shrimp, 5oz torpedo weight. Fish caught: two kelp greenling of 13"+ and 11" + (released). It's what I didn't catch that was tantalizing. I was getting hit on pretty much every cast but most of the hits took the bait without getting hooked---surf perch perhaps. Then there was one monstrously heavy fish I had on that was stronger than anything I've hooked in the ocean. I just couldn't keep whatever it was out of the rocks. Three or four times I had apparently free line to retrieve it from whatever hole it had gone into but I just couldn't do it. After that it wouldn't budge at all and after 15 minutes of waiting for another chance I gave it the all or nothing yank and lost my rig. I had another hit that took me into a place I couldn't dislodge it from but that one didn't feel anywhere near as heavy. I'd imagine this place may get crowded on weekends given its ease of access, but I had it to myself most of today. I fellow fisherman dropped in briefly to ply the waters with swimbait. He had apparently been fishing N of Jenner and caught some rockfish and surf perch but was on a ling hunt and trying a bunch of different places down the coast. It was certainly a nice day to be out.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 am
sea_forager

giantbrookie wrote:
Fish caught: two kelp greenling of 13"+ and 11" + (released).

Ahhh I knew there were greenlings there! Dammit haha I've yet to catch a keeper sized greenling and was definitely hoping for one when I traveled up north. Congrats on your catch though! Was it a male or female?

giantbrookie wrote:
It's what I didn't catch that was tantalizing. I was getting hit on pretty much every cast but most of the hits took the bait without getting hooked---surf perch perhaps.

There were a bunch of striped seaperch in that area so it wouldn't surprise me. Were they aggressive multi-taps or stronger singular tugs. Perch bites are the former and pretty distinct.

giantbrookie wrote:
Then there was one monstrously heavy fish I had on that was stronger than anything I've hooked in the ocean. I just couldn't keep whatever it was out of the rocks. Three or four times I had apparently free line to retrieve it from whatever hole it had gone into but I just couldn't do it. After that it wouldn't budge at all and after 15 minutes of waiting for another chance I gave it the all or nothing yank and lost my rig. I had another hit that took me into a place I couldn't dislodge it from but that one didn't feel anywhere near as heavy.

Was that larger fish fighting pretty hard before it ran into the rocks or did it feel like it became dead weight with the occasional "fishy" movement on your line? If the fight occurred close to the cliff or wall's edge you may have had a monkeyface on the other end. If the initial strike happened a ways out though who knows? Big cab or a ling maybe. Regardless, sorry to hear you couldn't manage to dislodge it but I'm happy to hear that you had some good action out there!

giantbrookie wrote:

I'd imagine this place may get crowded on weekends given its ease of access, but I had it to myself most of today.

Who knows? I often think the places I fish are accessed relatively easily and offer solid fishing, yet I hardly ever see people at them. The shipwreck area at Lands End? Only ever come across anglers one other time. Rocks at Point Lobos? Only twice have I seen someone else fishing it. I just figure that people have different levels of comfort when it comes to walking around rocks and cliffs.

I will say that the spot you were fishing takes a little more effort to make your way down, but is hardly rock climbing. I imagine that puts a lot of people off. So kudos to you and the other gentleman for putting in the effort.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 pm
giantbrookie

sea_forager wrote:
giantbrookie wrote:
Fish caught: two kelp greenling of 13"+ and 11" + (released).

Ahhh I knew there were greenlings there! Was it a male or female?
giantbrookie wrote:
It's what I didn't catch that was tantalizing. I was getting hit on pretty much every cast but most of the hits took the bait without getting hooked---surf perch perhaps.

Were they aggressive multi-taps or stronger singular tugs. Perch bites are the former and pretty distinct.
giantbrookie wrote:
Then there was one monstrously heavy fish I had on that was stronger than anything I've hooked in the ocean. I just couldn't keep whatever it was out of the rocks. Three or four times I had apparently free line to retrieve it from whatever hole it had gone into but I just couldn't do it.

Was that larger fish fighting pretty hard before it ran into the rocks or did it feel like it became dead weight with the occasional "fishy" movement on your line?

The greenling was a female. The bait strips were associated with repeated taps and they are what I've also become accustomed to from surf perch. That having been said, I had taps like that before the greenlings hooked up, too. The big one really took off with some serious head shaking before it got stuck. Each of the three or four times I had the moment of free line after it got stuck it was the same thing. I will probably head out with my son Sunday to either the S. Sonoma Coast, Marin Coast, or HMB. We'll probably decide the evening before.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:50 am
sea_forager

giantbrookie wrote:
The big one really took off with some serious head shaking before it got stuck. Each of the three or four times I had the moment of free line after it got stuck it was the same thing.

Yeah bolting with accompanied head shakes doesn't sound like a monkey. Who knows though? The only logical course of action is to head back there one of these days and try again Wink

giantbrookie wrote:
I will probably head out with my son Sunday to either the S. Sonoma Coast, Marin Coast, or HMB. We'll probably decide the evening before.

If you're heading to Marin a note that the forecast is showing some nasty wind for Sunday. Swell is kind of all over the place but looking at Stinson, Steep Ravine & Slide Ranch, you've got wind north of 20mph throughout most of the day. Offshore wind however, so it could help with casting I guess, but strong wind like that usually puts a fat bow in my line and so even if my cast is solid I often find part of my main line snagged up on some rock far away. A bummer about Marin too since I've been planning on exploring a number of those spots for a month now and was going to go Sunday as well.

Rodeo Beach looks like it's dodging the worst of the wind afflicting its neighbors-- and there's always fishing to be had off the rocks on either side of it-- but if the wind forecast doesn't ease up by Saturday evening I'll likely head south past Pacifica and maybe even HMB to find quieter conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 am
skyhook

Those meals look delicious! Thanks for a great report.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 3  Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: