pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Sashimi [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm
EgoNonBaptizo

This is just a preparation of fish for sashimi, which applies to any saltwater fish in California.

1) Surprisingly the first and most important step is to invest in a good, sturdy cooler that retains cold well and can withstand regular exposure to saltwater.

2) Before you start fishing, fill the cooler with a 1:1 ratio of saltwater and ice, forming a slurry.

3) Catch a fish. Some local fish I have found good for eating raw are Calico bass, Bonito, Pacific Chub Mackerel, Pacific Jack Mackerel, Amberstripe Scad, Yellowtail, Sheephead, Deepwater rockfish (Vermilions, Starrys, Flags, etc...), Opaleye, Halibut, and White Sea Bass. Obviously individual taste can vary.

4) Kill the fish. This is achieved by brain-spiking the fish and by cutting the gills and the throat. If you happen to have some stiff wire you can cut the tail off and run it up the spinal cord to destroy all neural tissue. The nerve cord is right above the main bone.

5) Thoroughly immerse the fish inside the ice slurry in a flat position to bleed out. If done properly the fish will be very stiff and retain much of its color.

6) Scale the fish thoroughly, making sure to get scales close to the fins and the stomach. This will prevent scales from embedding themselves into the meat when filleting.

7) Clean the fish by cutting behind the head and the collar and breaking the vertebra so that you can pull the head and collar and guts off. Be very careful not to puncture any organs. If necessary make a slit down to the vent so that the head and organs can be pulled out in one continuous piece.

Cool Wash the fish in cold water. This is the only time you should be washing the fish, as rinsing the meat can alter the flavor and texture.

9) Fillet the fish. You can go over the ribs or cut them off with the fillet. Be sure not to bend the fillet excessively.

10) Debone the fillets and skin if desired.

11) Cut at an angle across the grain and serve.

*12) If you must freeze the fish, lay the fillet flat and wrap it as tightly as you can in saran wrap as to exclude air bubbles or use a vacuum sealer.

**13) Killing and icing fish this way allows for prolonged refrigerated storage ~4 days uncleaned ~6 days cleaned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm
makairaa

No need to cut the tail off to run wire or heavy monofilament down the spinal cord. If you have not over done the brain spiking you can run the wire through the brain cavity into the spinal cord and run it down the spinal cord. Its supposed to reduce the build up of lactic acid from muscle spasms from the nerves after brain spiking.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:29 pm
EgoNonBaptizo

makairaa wrote:
No need to cut the tail off to run wire or heavy monofilament down the spinal cord. If you have not over done the brain spiking you can run the wire through the brain cavity into the spinal cord and run it down the spinal cord. Its supposed to reduce the build up of lactic acid from muscle spasms from the nerves after brain spiking.

^ True. I usually go through the side of the head, so inserting the wire is difficult. Honestly I usually don't use the wire because I'm lazy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm
sea_forager

This is great information. After seabass_seeker mentioned that walleye perch makes for great sashimi my mind started racing haha I've eaten raw fish all my adult life but never once tried to prepare it from what I harvest, with the exception of uni.

This is a solid starting point, so thanks!

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: