pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Super stinky bait marinade. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:35 pm
sphunfishing

I'm experimenting with marinating bait. I got a bottle of fermented shrimp paste from the Asian store, Berkely Gulp Shrimp Spray Attractanct, Pautzke Bait Fire Cure, MSG, and a pack of dried squid from the Asian store. So, I added all the stuff together and soak the squid in the sauce. Since the squid is already dehydrated, it should soak very well. This would make a really potent scent trail. With the MSG and Pautzke Baite Fire Cure, I hope the bait will last a week in the car. I have about an hour of fishing during my lunch break, and it takes me about 7 minutes to reach the Dumbarton Pier. I'll see how it goes on the coming week.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 am
sea_forager

sphunfishing wrote:
I'm experimenting with marinating bait. I got a bottle of fermented shrimp paste from the Asian store, Berkely Gulp Shrimp Spray Attractanct, Pautzke Bait Fire Cure, MSG, and a pack of dried squid from the Asian store. So, I added all the stuff together and soak the squid in the sauce. Since the squid is already dehydrated, it should soak very well. This would make a really potent scent trail. With the MSG and Pautzke Baite Fire Cure, I hope the bait will last a week in the car. I have about an hour of fishing during my lunch break, and it takes me about 7 minutes to reach the Dumbarton Pier. I'll see how it goes on the coming week.

That's really interesting. I never though about marinating or reconstituting dried squid chunks to use as bait. I assume not the shredded pieces but large chunks or even whole, right? Aside from the longevity, I'd imagine that the squid, even when soaked, will still be tough and therefore stay on the hook better as well as stand up to dinks trying to steal your bait.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:15 pm
sphunfishing

Yes, it's the whole dried squid. Not the snacks shredded one. I also got some dried herring. It looks more like an anchovy then herring, but different country called it differently I guess. I just hope it will last in the car environment. I put it in a zip-lock bag, then I put the bag into an airtight container. It might be good for crabbing too. The fermented shrimp stinks like hell.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:36 pm
Trumbo

Maybe bring it to the Newark lake instead. There’s always a possibility of catching a mutant holdover trout.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 pm
sphunfishing

Trumbo wrote:
Maybe bring it to the Newark lake instead. There’s always a possibility of catching a mutant holdover trout.

I'll wait for the normal trout plant Smile. I see fish break the water surface, but they are not biting. I have tried catfish bait, trout bait, and crappie bait. I have also tried bass worms. All I caught from that lake is 2 bluegills. One time, I saw a couple of big fish break the surface, but I can't tell what type of fish they are. It might be carp. I haven't try carp bait yet.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 pm
Trumbo

Lots of carp in the NL. Highly pressured though. There’s a diehard group that targets them relentlessly. There’s bass too but not much structure other than the bank and islands.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:18 pm
sphunfishing

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/sinh_phun/26501214659/in/dateposted/

Caught a smelt today using the stinky bait. So, the bait have been sitting in the trunk of the car since last Sunday. It still looks good. Not much fish, as I don't see anyone catches anything while I'm there. There are 4 other fishermen at the end of the Dumbarton Pier. And there is this old gentlemen always at the front of the pier. He's there daily, but also did not catch anything. I gave him my smelt. Fished for 45 minutes total. I happy with the bait curing. I'll see how long the remaining bait will last. [/img]
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:37 pm
sphunfishing

How to insert image?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:19 am
sea_forager

sphunfishing wrote:
How to insert image?

Image links will need to be bracketed by "[img] imagerlocation [/img]". In the post above the ending bracket got misplaced at the bottom of the paragraph. Just put it back at the end of the image url.

Additionally, see you are using Flickr to host your images. You'll need to get a link that connects to the photo itself then, not simply your photostream. At the bottom-right of your photo there is an arrow/share icon. Click on that and then click on "BBCode". Copy that link and insert that.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 am
sphunfishing

smelt_1 by Sinh Phun

testing image.

Thanks sea_forager.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: