Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> crab opener [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 am
Novice Fisherman

Kyron wrote:
I was at Baker on Sunday from 5:30-10:30am. 1 legal female with eggs which went back into the water. I hauled up another 12 shorts but most of them were before the sun was out. I pretty much stopped catching any crab an hour or so after the tide changed to incoming.

Also, I bought my snares at GFOS for $7.49 each. If you got one of these please replace the leader on them before use. I only had 3 from there and they all broke off while casting.

What and where is GFOS?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 am
expo23

sea_forager wrote:
expo23 wrote:
my friend went out to pacifica pier yesterday. 2 male keepers. plan to head out to the jetty sometime this week. let me know if anyone else is going for a meet up.

Just be wary of that swell spike coinciding with some potential rain that is looking to roll in later Thursday and into Friday.

gracias for the look out.
i plan to head there noon.. swells look decent.. pretty windy out there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:10 pm
sea_forager

pinfish wrote:

This is effective technique I would guess since I see them a lot when surf striper casting. I even see big crawdads when trout fishing inland and I feel like I can just snatch them easily.

It's a really fun and effective way to just filter out the shorties from the start. Barring coming across the occasional crab when I'm out fishing, I've found that if I want to try and limit out there I need pretty ideal conditions:

- Swell under 4ft
- Low wind
- Average to Weak current/coefficient
- Incoming tide (preferable)
- Flat, sandy beach with a large food source e.g. sandcrabs

If those things align then you have a situation where the crabs are able to move in real shallow to feed without much resistance, you won't get constantly knocked around by waves, and the weak current and low wind will help keep the water clear long enough for you to spot them sometimes 10-15ft out and run up on them. Those suckers are fast haha

It's rare to have these conditions line up so early in the season. Usually this a May & June kind of thing. No complaints though!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:38 pm
Chewie

I fished Baker yesterday for dungies from ~10am - 200pm...squid, shrimp, old salmon scraps for bait. SofaKing snares. Conditions could not have been more ideal as the inlet under the GG bridge was basically a lake, very light winds. however, I fished into and just past high tide. I've done better at Baker crab snaring into low tide.

The Crab fishing was very slow...2 short males was all I caught, immediately returned. I switched one of my rods out to a simple high-low rig in attempt to catch something at least and the jacksmelt bite was hot, so at least I saw some action.

Great day to be outside regardless and will try again for them soon once the swell dies back down.

Question: I fished with braid for the first time. Certainly a different feel. As conditions were super flat I don't know if it mattered or not, but do you all prefer braid over mono for dungies? or otherwise?
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:09 pm
expo23

HMB South: A lot of kite surfers out
spoke to a group leaving the jetty. 1 lb weight couldnt keep the snares down.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:03 pm
VeeZee Spinner

Don't want to thread jack here, but I was wondering where do you guys put the weight? Inside the snare? Wouldn't that sometimes cause the weight and bait to pop out of the cage even with the rubberband/clip?

Also, on average what kind of shape weight do you guys use i.e. pyramid, spider, circular, etc.?

And on average, how much weight do you guys use depending on swell?

A lot of questions, but I am a technical fisherman and like to do things precisely.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:10 am
sea_forager

VeeZee Spinner wrote:
Don't want to thread jack here, but I was wondering where do you guys put the weight? Inside the snare? Wouldn't that sometimes cause the weight and bait to pop out of the cage even with the rubberband/clip?

Also, on average what kind of shape weight do you guys use i.e. pyramid, spider, circular, etc.?

A lot of questions, but I am a technical fisherman and like to do things precisely.

If putting the weight inside the cage, I will use disc sinkers. If conditions are calling for a weight of 5oz or more however, I will use a sputnik sinker with a longer wire neck to keep it away from the loops.

Never had a bait cage pop on me before, but I buy snares that are locally made and those tend to have heavy-duty bands on them anyway.

How much weight? Everybody is different but as a baseline I use "1oz of weight for every 1ft of swell". Some places you can get away with using lighter because the current is real weak or some areas, like Ocean Beach in SF, have ripping currents that will drag most weights regardless of how heavy. In those situations I've found using sputnik sinkers to be the only workable solution for me. They hold more than their weight class so it allows me to throw lighter while still holding bottom.

There are a number of really informative posts in the "Fishing Tutorials" section that can help you with crab snaring as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:32 am
pinfish

i use those bendable ties that you can get from home depot, or a bendable pencil weight. Just twist the cage shut with the weights inside.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:20 pm
rudesvx

VeeZee Spinner wrote:

I personally attach a split ring at the end of the cage (the leading end when you cast) and add a swivel. Then you can add whatever weight easily to the end of the snare. Since the weight will lead the snare out as you cast, I use a pyramid which acts like an arrow. But any shape would work.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:47 am
Sofa King

I use the flat snare weights sold in most tackle shops and insert inside the snare.
I also have snares for sale. P.M. me for details.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: