pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> "Plan B" spot when the swell is up? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:45 am
sea_forager

With the weather turning colder and wetter, it'll be time once again to obsessively watch swell forecasts for brief windows of relative calm to get out and do some fishing and crabbing from shore. Sometimes however that swell just doesn't abate. Or the periods of calm are when I will be at work.

So those of you that do your fishing from shore or the rocks during these long periods of high swells, where do you go to still get some decent fishing in? I'm not asking for specific spots but rather the kind of features you look for. Do you settle for sheltered bays? Coves that are facing north so as to break up swells and tamp down on WSW winds? Do you still fish some of the same rocky areas but look for higher ground to cast from? etc..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:44 pm
sphunfishing

I would like to know too. I ran into one of those big swell a couple of weeks ago at Bean Hallow. It was unfishable. As I was driving back toward Half Moon Bay, all the beaches are like that, huge waves.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:16 pm
frozendog

I'm lucky that I am retired and can watch for those windows of better weather and water. But if you don't have that luxury, it just takes boots on the ground and time - moving from spot to spot in your fishing areas to find calmer spots. Then keep track of what you found, You are right about looking for coves and sheltered spots. Tides make a big difference also. I keep a log of of all my trips to help the old memory when i want to get out when the water is rough. Wish there was some easy solution.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:21 pm
sea_forager

frozendog wrote:
I'm lucky that I am retired and can watch for those windows of better weather and water. But if you don't have that luxury, it just takes boots on the ground and time - moving from spot to spot in your fishing areas to find calmer spots. Then keep track of what you found, You are right about looking for coves and sheltered spots. Tides make a big difference also. I keep a log of of all my trips to help the old memory when i want to get out when the water is rough. Wish there was some easy solution.

Thanks for the input. Always appreciate your perspective!

Looks like tomorrow will be a "boots on the ground" day for me along the coast south of HMB. It's probably better that I get an idea of what some of these areas look like with larger swells and a higher water level anyway if I plan to revisit them as we move into Winter and Spring.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:55 am
Sofa King

Lots of sheltered areas on the Marin coast. All the way to Bodega.
Like that big sandy beach before the lighthouse outside the Gate.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:04 am
pinfish

www.windyty.com
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:23 am
ING

What is for sure: you have to be careful !
Couple years ago I've watched how two Chinese fisherman fished on the the ocean cliff under the Cliff House restaurant. One of them caught the striper, put it on the rock and sold that fish to another guy. He got the money, put them in the wallet. Striper lays on the rock and... at that moment huge wave hit the cliff and cover both of them... and striper... When wave subsided, striper has disappeared... Mute scene. Question: Is he bought the fish or just transferred the money? Smile
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: