pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Berkely gulp cut bait [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:53 pm
sphunfishing

I got a bag of the Gulp cut bait to see how well it works. I needed something that doesn't rot and can be put in the trunk of the car.
https://www.amazon.com/Berkley-Saltwater-Gulp-Fishing-Sardin/dp/B000CSF29E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509489879&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=berkely+gulp+cut+bait

So on my lunch time, I headed to Dumbarton Pier, 5 minutes drive from my workplace. I fished for half an hour and caught a single smelt. I was fishing next to another fisherman using shrimp. He caught 3 smelts. We were pretty much next to each other, so shrimp wins. The bait is fairy firm and will stay on the hook well. The only problem with this firmness is it doesn't move well like a piece of squid strip. Will do more fishing with this to see how well it works, or don't work. The road leading to the pier is currently being paved, so some minor traffic getting to the pier.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:40 pm
sea_forager

sphunfishing wrote:
I got a bag of the Gulp cut bait to see how well it works. I needed something that doesn't rot and can be put in the trunk of the car.
https://www.amazon.com/Berkley-Saltwater-Gulp-Fishing-Sardin/dp/B000CSF29E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509489879&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=berkely+gulp+cut+bait

I use cut bait like Magic Bait's "Salty's Cut bait"-- which are all made from shrimp or shrimp-scented, and use them in conjunction with bait to essentially get more scent out there, not just use it alone in place of real bait. I see videos of folks back east using it alone to catch fish but it has never worked for me as a total replacement.

I have also found a lot of luck tipping hooks with a dab of shrimp cut bait and a small strip of squid for more movement on the retrieve.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:41 pm
Trumbo

Smelt will bite pretty much every ting from dog food maybe even cardboard soaked in urine. You wouldn’t win the tournament with those baits tough haha
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:42 am
sphunfishing

I'll tip a sabiki rig with these and see how it goes. I don't have much luck with Gulp products. I have the sand worms, the shrimp, the trout worms, and this cut bait. I tried jigging for rock fish with the shrimp, but didn't get any bite. There's a Newark Lake near my work too, and literally see fish breaking the water surface. Cast the gulp trout worm to the spot, still no bites. As for the sand worm, I tried to catch surf perch with it, but didn't land any. The crabs love the sand worm though, they chew them up pretty good. I might just use up the gulps for crab bait Smile. I read reviews and people are swear by this Gulp product. I buy it mainly to have some bait in my car just for convenience.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:40 am
uglystick

>As for the sand worm, I tried to catch surf perch with it, but didn't land any.

In my experience sand worm is the magnet for perch. If there is no bite, there is no perch around Smile

Looks like you were soaking it so that crab could take a bite on it. I would suggest moving around and locate the school.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:49 am
sphunfishing

uglystick wrote:
>As for the sand worm, I tried to catch surf perch with it, but didn't land any.

In my experience sand worm is the magnet for perch. If there is no bite, there is no perch around Smile

Looks like you were soaking it so that crab could take a bite on it. I would suggest moving around and locate the school.

One rod was soaking one rod was moving Smile. Fished 2 times at Pacifica, 3 times at Pescadero, zero perch. I was moving up and down the beaches. Only thing a caught with the sand worm was a smelt.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 pm
pinoyfisherman

How do you rig the Gulp sandworm? I've had pretty good success with it on a Carolina rig and working the surf really slowly. I like to use the individual 2-inch ones.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:06 am
sphunfishing

Maybe August/September months are not good for surf perch? I rig it like everybody else. Carolina rig with 2 feet 10lb flourocarbon leader. Using 2" sand worm. I cast past the first breaking wave and do a slow retrieve.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 pm
pinoyfisherman

sphunfishing wrote:
Maybe August/September months are not good for surf perch? I rig it like everybody else. Carolina rig with 2 feet 10lb flourocarbon leader. Using 2" sand worm. I cast past the first breaking wave and do a slow retrieve.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that when perch spawn in the bay? Personally I've had best success fishing from the surf during the spring/summer months with Gulp.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 am
red fish

pinoyfisherman wrote:
sphunfishing wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that when perch spawn in the bay? Personally I've had best success fishing from the surf during the spring/summer months with Gulp.

April, May, June. July .... open on August 1st. But he referenced casting pasting a breaker wave (which there are none at Dumbarton) so part of the post must have been about ocean fishing for perch.

There are shrimp (camarones) down the block from Dumbarton at the Latino market (between Starbucks and the Subway shops). That's less than a minute from Dumbo..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:45 pm
sphunfishing

Hi red fish,
When I said cast past 1st breaker wave, I was referring to Pacifica, and Pescadero, not Dumbarton. I use the Gulp but bait at Dumbarton, and Gulp sandworm at Pacifica & Pescadero. Anyway, Dumbarton is not a good place to test stuff, it's mostly a miss. Not much fish there during lunch hour.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: