pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Bay Area species [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 pm
Ken Jones

Although I haven't fished the Bay Area piers much in the past few years it seems to me like several species have really seen declines in numbers including several types of perch, starry flounder, and staghorn sculpin (bullheads). Have others noticed the same thing?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:36 pm
pinoyfisherman

Haven't fished for perch too much the past couple of years inside the bay but I have heard the same thing about some of their numbers declining. I know for sure the bullhead have been barely showing up which is quite concerning.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:29 am
songslinger

Ken Jones wrote:
Although I haven't fished the Bay Area piers much in the past few years it seems to me like several species have really seen declines in numbers including several types of perch, starry flounder, and staghorn sculpin (bullheads). Have others noticed the same thing?

Yes. Not only with the resident perch. The big barred that come in during the late fall and winter have been sparse, and the redtail have vanished from Point Pinole.

Flounder are rare and very small when they are caught. Even the incidental ones that sturgeon anglers in boats catch are few and far between.

Bullheads? Their usual season is off. Had one day a few months back where I had to move from a perch spot because the bullheads were hitting every cast. (But I froze the ones I caught.) Try deliberately targeting them and it is a disappointment. Even the gobies up the bay system are in lower numbers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 am
pinfish

yes compared to what I remember from 1989 (when I first moved here), when there were tons of those, now there aren't. Its pretty obvious.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:24 am
taylor31

That's what happens when so many people in your fishery are keeping everything that they land. I remember last time I fished Pacifica people had buckets full of out of season crabs, Boccaccio, and anything else that they could get on a line. There buckets were just sitting in the sun with rotting fish.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:12 pm
Ken Jones

Over fishing can certainly contribute tremendously to the problem but often there are other environmental issues always playing a part (and the SF Bay and estuary) has been under attack for a long time.
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: