pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Central Coast Rocks and Reefs September 2017 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:57 pm
frozendog

Random thoughts....

September and October are transition months for me fishing-wize. Iím fishing the deep water spots, but I know around November I will move to the shallower spots. September fishing was quality over quantity. When I did catch something, it was nice. I did fish one shallow winter spot just to see how the kelp and water were. And I got three nice rockies that were perfect fish taco size, but I really donít want to fish those spots until the water gets too rough for the shallow spots. Though, have been fighting rough water and lots of loose kelp all month.

I have been getting some nice smelt lately so I have not been using squid for bait, but still have gotten the occasional cab without using squid. As the water cools off, the smelt wonít be as available and I will be using more squid and some frozen smelt.

I only had one really bad trip which was the last fishing trip of the month. Even though I fished three different spots, I had no hits, no runs and no fish.

September had some beautiful beach weather, but Iím ready to go out and lose some sinkers in October when it cools off a bit.

9/5/17 Two grassies. Itís interesting how two of the same kind of fish, caught in the same spot can look so different.

9/7 Grass rockfish and a cab. Time for some cab and chips.

9/13 Another grass rockfish made a nice pan-seared filet atop a salad.

9/15 Three grassies. The filets are perfect size for fish tacos.

Some more dishes with September fish. Fish tacos with summer slaw and Sauted rockfish with an orange sauce.

9/25 The last trip in September. The empty ice chest tells the story.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 am
thebayway

Nice work. Thanks for the report.

Grass rock fish are a favorite at our house too.

I tried my hand at fishing soft plastics this week and caught my first black rock fish. Snagged up a lot of course, but it was a nice change of pace.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 am
Salty Nick v2

Nice fishing! Fish dishes look good, too! Just came back from plugging for stripers - no keepers, but caught nine shakers to 17" for some fun. Haven't hit the rocks in a while:

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: