pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Re: Swimbaits and Lures at Crissy Field [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:31 pm
sea_forager

I've only ever thrown bait around Crissy and the pier, but thought it would be a good place to practice fishing swimbaits since it's super close to home, calmer than the open ocean, and I think I'm terrible at fishing plastics.

Was only working the area between the seaplane ramp and other pilings for 90 minutes this morning around midpoint of the incoming tide and holy hell was there a lot of vegetation in the water. Everything I threw out there would snag some sort of weed within a few seconds of the retrieve and just completely kill off any momentum. Was fishing 1/2oz ~ 1oz jig heads, 4" ~ 7" swimbaits and felt good contact/action on everything up until the point when I'd collect garbage on my lure.

Is that area always so thick with lettuce or am I just in the wrong spot and need to move closer to the Yacht Club or Pier? Do those of you that fish plastics or bucktails go weedless? I've read tons of reports here going back to '08 re: Crissy and don't recall a lot of mention of needing to do that.

Anyways, forgot how nice that area is in the morning when everyone else is asleep haha That ramp area is real fishy and the gentleman down the beach a bit had two poles soaking bait and seemed to be pulling in jacksmelt as well as a teeny flatty of some kind. Sand dab maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm
pinfish

yeah that spot is not good, was never productive, a hundred yards before and after that spot has no weeds and you can catch fish there.

cast and reel in - or cast and drag bottom and stop and drag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:53 pm
sea_forager

pinfish wrote:
yeah that spot is not good, was never productive, a hundred yards before and after that spot has no weeds and you can catch fish there.

cast and reel in - or cast and drag bottom and stop and drag

Thanks for the education! Swell is supposed to be down tomorrow as well so I'll try and make it out early morning again for another try.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:53 pm
k1n

Don't be afraid to go lighter....3/8 with a swim bait body is 1/2oz total weight. Sometimes, that's all you need to get less grass.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:08 pm
sea_forager

k1n wrote:
Don't be afraid to go lighter....3/8 with a swim bait body is 1/2oz total weight. Sometimes, that's all you need to get less grass.

I feel dumb for not really taking that into consideration, so thanks for bringing it up! 1/2oz is usually as light as I throw unless the plastic itself has weight built in @ 3/8, but I should probably rig up some swimbaits on the few lighter jig heads I have.

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: