pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Lands End Fishing Report: Shipwreck Edition [9/30/2017] [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:00 pm
sea_forager

9/30/2017

After catching some stripers at Baker Beach last Sunday, successive morning trips out there were a bust so I decided to explore some more of Lands End and hopefully find some new reliable spots to fish.

My target was that stretch of water where two shipwrecks-- the Frank H Buck and her sister ship the Lyman Stewart-- have remnants scattered about. Those of you that have walked the Coastal Trail at Lands End likely saw the engine of the Frank H Buck poking through the water even when the tide was up. When I see something like that all I can think is "structure. fishy.", so I was determined to find a way to get within casting range without trapping myself when the tide came up.

Finally figured out a reliable way to get myself and gear down to the area north of Battery Lobos and was overjoyed to find that the rocky area jutting out towards the wreck was not only easily accessible, but spacious and definitely has hosted many an angler. It can easily accommodate a few people out there with shady spots to sit and plenty of casting room to target different depths of water in the surrounding area.

As it turned out, Uglystick was walking around Lands End with the Mrs. and texted me some photos he took of me out on that rock followed by "Is that you?" and "Looks like you got snagged" haha which at that particular moment was the truth. Glad he could save it for posterity.

Is that you? Looks like you got snagged...

Targeting the remains of the Frank H. Buck. Photo courtesy of Uglystick.

I should've tossed a sabiki given how many smaller perch I pulled up, but I really just wanted to get on some bigger fish for dinner that night, so I stuck to a standard hi/lo with shrimp on the top and squid on the bottom. After a few casts of hooking some dinks and hauling in a few beastly dungies that were dumb enough to get hooked, I finally hooked into two nice pile perch at 11.5" each. Bled them and threw them in the bag for dinner. Just needed one more larger perch and it'd be enough for me, the partner, and her mom that was visiting. About 30 minutes and a dozen dinks later I pulled up a nice 13" rockfish with a coloring I didn't recognize. After bringing it home I noticed the light lateral line on the back 2/3 of the body (and no dark spot on the gill cover) identifying it as a Copper most likely, which was very cool for me since I've never caught one of those before.

Swell and wind was getting nasty and moving my rig around more than I would like, causing snags, so I decided to pack up and head to the rocks at Point Lobos to see if I could pull out one more fish before heading home. With only 30 min to spare there I managed to pull out a nice 12.5" striped seaperch which made for large perch #3 and my task complete for the day!

Next time I hit the wreck again I'm going to bring my 12-footer in the hopes the extra foot will let me cast far enough to put more of the structure within reach. My 11-footer that day did the job well enough but I was only able to reliably reach the rock about 20ft south of the wreck. Still tons of fish in the area though.

Perch for dinner and the rockfish for later

Made this x3 for us that evening. Perch poached in chicken broth & onions w/ salad and steamed broccoli.

The in/out of the area north of Battery Lobos can be tricky but there are fortunately multiple ways to get out there, some with more walking, some paths shorter but with more scrambling up/down rocks. Definitely a place to add to the list of great spots to spend and morning or afternoon in SF if you're in the neighborhood.

Area: Rocks south of Frank H. Buck shipwreck [MAP] Rocks at Point Lobos [MAP]

Setup:

11ft Ugly Stik Bigwater / Daiwa BG 6500 / 50lb Braid / 125lb anglers clip -> Hi/Lo with 2/0 & 4/0 octopus baitholder hooks -> 5oz weights

Bait: Squid & Shrimp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:42 pm
pinoyfisherman

Great report, that perch looks yummy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 pm
uglystick

“Catch & cook. No time for selfies..... but, other photographers are welcomed” :p

Nice catch! I’m impressed by your determination to get there!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 am
charro

Nice! Whole fish cooking is the way to go with perch.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 am
sea_forager

charro wrote:
Nice! Whole fish cooking is the way to go with perch.

pinoyfisherman wrote:
Great report, that perch looks yummy

Thanks! Yeah I often get protested by friends and family that prefer their food "not look at them" but with softer-fleshed fish like perch I really do prefer cooking it whole, regardless of the method. Maybe if I catch some lunker redtails or BSPs I'll fillet them up, but otherwise I think cooking it whole is the way to go as well.

uglystick wrote:
"Catch & cook. No time for selfies..... but, other photographers are welcomed :p

Haha with the amount of drones buzzing around me at some of these places I fish, I've no doubt that I've unwittingly made it onto some Youtuber's B-roll.

And yeah that place turned out about as good as I could have hoped. Next time you're up here we should check it out!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 pm
Tifoso

Nice job, sir!

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:12 pm
frozendog

Amazing pictures! Those fish don't have to worry about my hook. I wouldn't be able to get near that fishing spot.

The perch looks good. It's always nice to see what people do with their catch.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:18 pm
rmariano

Great report! Any advice for dealing with rather mushy perch flesh?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:07 pm
Novice Fisherman

rmariano wrote:

PK Yi up in Oregon has a youtube channel mainly about catching perch. I tried his pan fried perch with mushroom recipe and it was delicious, not at all mushy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH7IdrCtt-o
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:15 pm
sea_forager

rmariano wrote:

If you let the flesh firm up a bit in the fridge overnight or 48 hours, that may help. I've heard from a few that soaking it a bit in some vinegar will pucker up the flesh a bit and firm it up more, though I haven't done that and don't know how much it'll change the taste of the fish afterwards.

Personally, if I'm cooking it whole, then steaming it is a good way to mitigate mushiness because I'm expecting a softer-fleshed meal to begin with. Any dish where I'm expecting the meat to be a lot more tender (soups, curries, etc..) is a good marriage with perch as well.

If it's a larger perch that you can fillet, then you can easily bread it and pan fry it. I typically do an egg wash and then roll it in panko that I've mixed with some seasoning.

Ultimately however, it's always going to be a texture preference. No matter how I cook up perch I have friends that aren't satisfied because they prefer firmer fleshed fish like bass, cod, salmon, etc...

Novice Fisherman wrote:

PK Yi up in Oregon has a youtube channel mainly about catching perch.

Agreed. PK is a redtail slayer for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm
Ken Jones

Nice catch and good looking food!
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: