Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Is striper still around in San Mateo coast? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am
sea_forager

uglystick wrote:

But then you have to deal with trillion more people and their dogs Smile

Haha this is true. Which is why I'll stick to either the early morning or evening bite at Baker Beach. All those stripers were caught right as the sun was rising at the turn of the tide. I think Thursday and Friday morning this week will be a good time to hit Baker again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:22 pm
Chewie

sea_forager wrote:
Chewie wrote:

Yeah, just frozen raw shrimp chunks. Basically 1/2 a shrimp on each hook.
Was just a good day fishing!

Shoutout to Chewie here. His report inspired me to not write off stripers this season and put some time in at Baker Beach this morning. The striper bite was on fire for me at the bottom of the outgoing tide. First cast out I hooked up a 19" striper, which I understand for many of you is still in the "diaper" ranking, but for someone like me that has caught well over 70 schoolies this year but failed to pull in a keeper, this was a happy occasion!

I kept the 19-incher and then proceeded to catch 4 18~18.5" in a row within the span of 30 minutes. All released. The were biting so aggressively that I hauled in one 18-incher that slammed my #2 sabiki rig that I was casting, searching for schools of perch while my hi/lo soaked on my other rod.

Congrats on the catch! and glad to hear the fish are still out there. My sons had soccer games all weekend long this past weekend, but we may give it a try again this coming weekend. Waves do look pretty calm. If I go I'll let you know what we find!
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 pm
Novice Fisherman

Quote:
Yeah all the stripers I caught on hi/lo rigs were on chunks of shrimp. I used 2/0 and 4/0 hooks and caught fish on both sizes. The sabikis were #2 hooks but I also tipped them with some shrimp cutbait for scent and a thin strip of squid for some movement, and I've caught perch, jacksmelt, and now a striper off that.

I should mention that Uglystick was out there at Baker as well and he pulled in his stripers off an LC Flash Minnow. So don't be afraid to change it up if the bait isn't working for you.

As far as which side, I was at the far northeast end-- the "naked part", next to the rocks. Others were fishing off the rocks themselves, going for stripers using anchovies, but I left before I could tell if they had caught anything.

Both of Uglystick's lure stripers were closer to the mid section of the beach. And honestly, given how long of a walk it is to that far northeast end, I'd probably just set up shop closer to the parking lot entrance next time.

A big shout out and thank you to sea_forager for passing on his fishing knowledge and guidance.

I went down to Baker after lunch to wet my lines. After 2 batrays (thought I hooked a striper as my rod bended in half), 4 smelts, and a dinky perch, I finally landed a 20 inch keeper.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:05 pm
sea_forager

Novice Fisherman wrote:

A big shout out and thank you to sea_forager for passing on his fishing knowledge and guidance.

I went down to Baker after lunch to wet my lines. After 2 batrays (thought I hooked a striper as my rod bended in half), 4 smelts, and a dinky perch, I finally landed a 20 inch keeper.

Congrats on the keeper! And bat ratys from Baker?! That's awesome. If I'm lucky to hual one in from outside the Bay like that I'd likely harvest it, so here's hoping!

As for passing on my knowledge, it's honestly all cumulative and iterative; I've learned so much from folks here at PFIC, random anglers on the beach, watching anglers on YT, as well as my own experience, so I'm more than happy to share what has been taught to me in the hopes it makes this hobby we all love that much more enjoyable. Tight lines out there!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:52 pm
uglystick

sea_forager wrote:
If I'm lucky to hual one in from outside the Bay like that I'd likely harvest it, so here's hoping!

Hmm, I think the fish is still likely from the bay if you are worried about the heavy metal accumulation. Similarly I guess the stripers caught along the shoreline most likely contains the same level of accumulation as those caught inside the bay (because they grow up inside the bay).

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 3 of 3  Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: