pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Short trip to the north coast piers [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:26 pm
Ken Jones

Last week I headed north for the Trinidad Kids Derby and, of course, managed to do a little fishing while I was there. Unfortunately the fishing was very slow except for one pier, Citizens Dock in Crescent City, where I managed a nice mix of fish.

After a long drive the day before, my first morning of fishing was Friday at the Eureka Boardwalk. It's not a public pier but has become a favorite of mine the past few years. Fishing was slow although when I spotted some anchovies in the water I put on a Sabiki and caught a few for live bait. One bait was chomped in half and I wondered if it was a halibut since they've been catching a lot of halibut this year in Humboldt Bay.

Eureka Boardwalk—September 15, 2017
6:45-8:45 AM
5 Northern Anchovey
3 Shinerperch
1 Striped Seaperch

Soon after, I headed north to Crescent City to fish the two piers up there. Along the way I would take numerous pictures of the redwoods, coastline and elk. At Citizens Dock I fished the rocks right at the foot of the pier and caught a plethora of small rockfish (6-10 inches long) along with several other species. I caught several kelp greenling, one with black pelvic fins which was very unusual. I was using pile worms and market shrimp and virtually every fish was caught on the pile worms.

Citizens Dock (Crescent City)—September 15, 2017
1:05-5:05 PM
14 Copper Rockfish
5 Kelp Greenling
3 Brown Rockfish
2 Blue Rockfish
2 Cabezon
2 Black & Yellow Rockfish
1 White Seaperch

I headed over to the B Street Pier after a short dinner break but unfortunately was faced with the same conditions as the previous year, wind, wind and more wind. Tired and cold I called it a day after one hour.

B Street Pier (Crescent City)—September 15, 2017
6:30-7:30 PM
No fish

The next day would see me heading back south before Sunday's derby. Given the success of the day before, I headed back to the Citizens Dock. Again a plethora of fish including a small brown irishlord and a couple of sculpin, a bonehead and scalyhead I believe (although I sent pictures to Milton Love to verify). I could have stayed at that pier all day but knew I needed to head south.

Citizens Dock (Crescent City)—September 16, 2017
8:40-10:40 AM
7 Copper Rockfish
3 Kelp Greenling
1 Black & Yellow Rockfish
1 Blue Rockfish
1 Black Rockfish
1 Brown Irishlord
1 Scalyhead Sculpin
1 Bonehead Sculpin

I was staying in Arcata but planned to fish at Trinidad Pier for a while to see what might be expected for the next day. By the time I got to Trinidad it was getting a little windy and was very chilly (and of course I was wearing shorts). I stuck it out for a few hours but given the very slow fishing, I decided to call it a day a little earlier than I had planned. Unusual was that I was again using pile worms and market shrimp but here all the fish were caught on shrimp, none on the worms.

Trinidad Pier—September 16, 2017
2:10-5:10 PM
3 Kelp Greenling
1 Cabezon

Sunday saw me up early and busy prior to and during the kids derby. Finally, after the derby and festivities, I had some time to fish but once again it was very slow.

Trinidad Pier—September 17, 2017
2:30-3:30 PM
No fish

I decided to head down to Eureka and check out the North Jetty which can be very productive. However, after arriving at the jetty and talking to several fishermen, I found out none had caught a single fish. I decided to head back to Eureka and take my chances at the Commercial Street Dock. There were several people fishing and crabbing at the dock and though many crabs were being caught (and released since most were Dungeness) not too many fish were in evidence. But, I saw some anchovies brought in so once again put on a Sabiki and decided to get some fresh bait (and try for halibut). This time I didn't have any hits on the halibut rigging but at least I had some fresh anchovies to use next trip.

Commercial St. Dock (Eureka)—6:15-7:15 PM
11 Northern Anchovy
1 Brpwn Rockfish
1 Staghorn Sculpin

Overall a very slow fishing trip which was saved in part by the action at Citizens Dock. Not as good as last year, when I caught a Silver Salmon at the B Street Pier and a Lingcod at Citizens Dock, but still an interesting trip.

Citizens.Dock.inshore copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  111.36 KB
 Viewed:  1041 Time(s)

Citizens.Dock.inshore copy.jpg

Kelp.Greenling_2493 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.77 KB
 Viewed:  1043 Time(s)

Kelp.Greenling_2493 copy.jpg

Copper.Rockfish_2425 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.94 KB
 Viewed:  1044 Time(s)

Copper.Rockfish_2425 copy.jpg

Copper.Rockfish_2468 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.41 KB
 Viewed:  1045 Time(s)

Copper.Rockfish_2468 copy.jpg

Brown.Irishlord_2471 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.55 KB
 Viewed:  1046 Time(s)

Brown.Irishlord_2471 copy.jpg

Scalyhead.Sculpin_2481 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.98 KB
 Viewed:  1047 Time(s)

Scalyhead.Sculpin_2481 copy.jpg

Bonehead.Sculpin_2487 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.72 KB
 Viewed:  1048 Time(s)

Bonehead.Sculpin_2487 copy.jpg

B&Y.Rockfish_2427 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.7 KB
 Viewed:  1049 Time(s)

B&Y.Rockfish_2427 copy.jpg

B&Y.Rockfish_2473 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.13 KB
 Viewed:  1050 Time(s)

B&Y.Rockfish_2473 copy.jpg

B.St.Pier copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.22 KB
 Viewed:  1051 Time(s)

B.St.Pier copy.jpg

Trindad.Pier.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.16 KB
 Viewed:  1052 Time(s)

Trindad.Pier.jpg

Commercial.St.Dock.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.93 KB
 Viewed:  1053 Time(s)

Commercial.St.Dock.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:32 pm
mav

Interesting. Most of those fish I can't even identify. Don't think I'll ever fish all the piers you've fished in my lifetime.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 pm
Ken Jones

The "experts" say the sculpin labeled a bonehead sculpin is probably a padded sculpin. A new one for my list.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 pm
songslinger

Great stuff, Mr K.

I miss Crescent City. It's been five years. Citizen's Dock always had the potential for boat-sized rockfish from the bank, and it was a great place for greenling. Halibut, too, from the sandy shore. We'd camp at Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. Half the day was on the ocean side; the other half was the Smith River for salmon. Excellent fishing and superb wildlife.

But I always had to bring my own bait. Or forage. Or use artificials. Did you bring your own pile worms?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:26 pm
Ken Jones

Yes, I came up HY99 and then cut across to I5 at Manteca before heading across the Delta on HY12. I picked up some pile worms at Rio Vista Bait since I knew your only options up north are usually frozen bait, mainly anchovies, herring or squid.

I love the north coast; a great place to clear the head a little.

Unfortunately, my fishing buddy Mike Granat, who had accompanied me on most of my fishing trips for the past 7-8 years, passed away about six weeks ago. My trips are now solo and it's a good day's drive to Eureka from Fresno. It's much better when you have someone to talk to during the drive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 pm
Mahigeer

We lost some members here; Gdude, Mike, Big Rich. May they rest in light as the Turks would say.

Balboa pier with Snookie, Mike and Skipper.

P1070660.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.9 KB
 Viewed:  822 Time(s)

P1070660.JPG

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:26 pm
frozendog

Ken Jones wrote:

I love the north coast; a great place to clear the head a little.

Unfortunately, my fishing buddy Mike Granat, who had accompanied me on most of my fishing trips for the past 7-8 years, passed away about six weeks ago. My trips are now solo and it's a good day's drive to Eureka from Fresno. It's much better when you have someone to talk to during the drive.

Losing your fishing friend is worse than losing a hundred lingcod. Impossible to replace.

I could loan you Mrs. Kittyfish who will chatter away the whole trip. I know from personal experience. Your ears will take time to recover.

Re: bait. When we travel up north, I make a point to do some bait fishing and catch some fresh smelt. Rinse them off once and they last a week in the ice chest. I know you are a pile worm man, but it's something to consider.

And, thanks for the report and pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm
nacho

Ken Jones wrote:
Yes, I came up HY99 and then cut across to I5 at Manteca before heading across the Delta on HY12. I picked up some pile worms at Rio Vista Bait since I knew your only options up north are usually frozen bait, mainly anchovies, herring or squid.

Hi

Are you aware of some place to buy pile worms near Santa Cruz or Half Moon Bay?

Thanks!

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: