pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Circle hooks for cabs from shore? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:26 pm
sea_forager

I've never had issues with good hooksets on rockfish and smaller (~10") cabs at the spots I fish, but over the past 3 days I've landed 3 cabs all in the 13~14" range and all inhaled the bottom octopus hook (2/0~4/0) to the point that there was no way to get it back with cutting that fish open, so I just cut the line as close to the hook as possible and released it. Still felt terrible about it though.

Any advice on using circle hooks from the rocks with a hi/lo rig to target mouthy fish that like to inhale their prey like cabs and lings? The fewer I can gut-hook, the better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:40 pm
Salty Nick v2

I've been using circle hooks for a while now for rockfishing, and they work fine, for the most part. I do use barbed circles.

The hardest part is to get used to not 'setting' the hook, but rather tightening slack and use rod pressure to let the fish hook himself. Once you get used to that, most of the time you'll have the fish hooked in the corner of the mouth.

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:00 pm
frozendog

Would using a bigger bait help and/or a bigger hook help with the problem?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm
sea_forager

frozendog wrote:
Would using a bigger bait help and/or a bigger hook help with the problem?

I've thought of that, and using bigger bait just seems to encourage even more voracious swallowing; A whole, but smaller, squid definitely gets the most violent strikes from the larger fish hiding out where I'm casting. I haven't tried chunking larger pieces of fish like smelt or anchovy. Do cabs and rockfish like jacksmelt? Those I can catch for days in larger sizes.

As for hook size, all the larger cabs I've gut hooked have been on 2/0 and 4/0 octos. I've a few 5/0 that I'll pre-tie tonight and try throwing them into the mix when I head to the rocks tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 pm
Ken Jones

Most of the time I use a high/low rig although in the rocks I just use one hook. But, when I tie the leader I use a very short distance from the main line to the hook, about an inch or so. I've always felt you feel the bite much quicker and it's rare that the fish swallows the bait. I would guess that 95%+ of the fish I catch are hooked in the mouth due to the short leader. Given that most of the fish I catch are returned to the wateer it works really well for me.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:13 am
RobF

My experience has been that, even with circle hooks, rockfish can get gut hooked. Ken mentioned that about 95% of his fish are mouth hooked with his short leader, but I would guess about the same % for me using a 6" leader using 7/0 circle hooks.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:07 am
songslinger

I did two things to prevent gut-hooking when I fish for rockies and cabbies:

1)Short leader and single hook. (Ken is right!)

2)I hold the pole, feel the bite, and set the hook. Having the pole rest by itself is an invitation for a gut-hooked fish.

I am convinced that the majority of injured fish can be avoided by attentiveness. Forget bells or gimmicks, just pay attention and be on the bite. Tight line. Cabezon gulp while running and if you let them hit shelter, they will swallow the hook.

Just throwing this out there and not accusing anyone. Fish swallow hooks all the time; it's a fact of fishing life. You do what you can, but things happen. I just feel that awareness is a smart quality to being along when you fish.

I've pretty much switched to lures or live bait and rarely use dead offerings. Seldom do I have to contend with a gut-hooked fish nowadays. I never use circle hooks...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:32 pm
sea_forager

Thanks everyone for all the solid tips! No keeper cabs yesterday but the 6 I did catch were all hooked nicely thanks to incorporating the advice I saw here. Even the larger ones of the bunch (13~14") I was able to land without gut hooking them.
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: