pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Maiden Voyage of the Portable Pier :) Morro Bay Smelting [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:05 pm
seabass_seeker

It's been hot in the valley... what else is new haha. Ms. Anchovy and I found a Port-A-Bote for super cheap, 1970's vintage. These things fold to the size of a longboard and can be carried by two. So we packed it up and dropped in on our favorite little bay. I've kayaked before so keeping it simple and rowing was A-OK. We plodded around the bay, saw a baby thresher jump not 10ft from the boat, seen folks trolling for halibut and caught some smelt for bait (inland stripers love ocean baitfish). Had a drink and headed on back to the valley. Was a fun time. Also realized I can't leave the sea. Here's the video for those who might prefer to watch, enjoy!

https://youtu.be/9yDAMlrZS6g
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:26 pm
sea_forager

Fun video! How much of those JS did you end up eating and how much did you save for bait for future outings?

Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:40 pm
seabass_seeker

We filleted up 3 and the rest have become bait for catfish and stripers.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 am
sea_forager

seabass_seeker wrote:
We filleted up 3 and the rest have become bait for catfish and stripers.

I normally fry up the smaller JS as tweezing worms from larger fillets is not super fun for me. Once in a blue moon I catch a larger JS with less than 5 but most of them are just riddled. How long does it take you to de-worm you jacksmelt fillets?

Looking forward to more videos! Really like some of the fishing videos you've put up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 am
seabass_seeker

Ok here's the weird thing, smelt worms gross me out like no other. I was 100% ready to lose my appetite when I went to deworm them and found nothing! Out of a bay that has sealions I'd expect to find then riddled with the nasties. Now here's a funny little hypothesis. We caught these smelt where the glass bottom tourist boat likes to come and feed the fishies for people to see. Could it be that they go their whole lives eating from the tour boat and never touching sealion feces??? The boat stops by this spot just about every hour or so.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 am
CatchinKelp

Were you making that up about sealion poo or is that a real thing? o_0

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:52 am
seabass_seeker

Real bud. Life cycle of the anisakis round worm. They want to be hosted inside of marine mammals. So sealions already infected end up ejecting worms and eggs which are then eaten by smelt/rockfish etc and become temporary hosts to the worms who in turn lay more eggs inside the fish. If the fish is caught by a sealion, the stonach acid breaks the egg's shell and the baby worm is free to infect the new host.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:00 am
frozendog

So that's where the jacksmelt are hiding in Morro Bay. For the last couple of months, it has been real hit and miss when I bait fish there - and they fish I catch have been very small. Also, no sardines yet and only a few jack mackerel.
Nice job on the video. Thanks for the effort and for sharing it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:51 am
RobF

Great video as always!

Hey frozendog. Have you ever tried using a sabiki in the sandy surf to get your bait fish? My son and I had a blast a week ago up here on a monterey bay beach using sabikis around high tide. It was just about non stop action. We landed 12 nice size jacksmelt in about an hour and lost many more. We used small pieces of gulp (3/4" long) sandworms on some hooks, and it seems like the fish liked those best. Most fish came from casting out as far as possible.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:53 pm
frozendog

RobF wrote:
Great video as always!

Hey frozendog. Have you ever tried using a sabiki in the sandy surf to get your bait fish? My son and I had a blast a week ago up here on a monterey bay beach using sabikis around high tide. It was just about non stop action. We landed 12 nice size jacksmelt in about an hour and lost many more. We used small pieces of gulp (3/4" long) sandworms on some hooks, and it seems like the fish liked those best. Most fish came from casting out as far as possible.

Sounds like a good way to keep the kids busy and happy. I've tried it right off the sand, next to the Cayucos Pier several times, but the only thing I caught was loose kelp. But since they finished reconstruction on the pier, I haven't caught much from the pier either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 am
seabass_seeker

FD I was catching them from the ball courts back to the little beach by the parking area. They really liked the sabikis tipped with shrimp but i bet squid would work too
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: