pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Kite Fishing at Heron's Head Park [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 pm
skyhook

Had a suspicion that stripers might be cruising the lagoon at Heron's Head Park in San Francisco. But a potentially productive section of the park's shoreline is a restored tidal marsh and off limits to foot traffic. I decided that using a pair of kites to pull lures would be an enjoyable way to legally fish along the restricted area and cover as much ground as possible.

The Strategy
Our game plan was to launch kites from the area where the old power plant once stood, troll the lures along the top of the Heron's Head (the northern edge of the lagoon) then make a right turn toward the middle of the lagoon and guide the lures back to the launch point. After getting the kites aloft and attaching the drop line and float, the first lure I sent out was a 4 inch swim bait with a 3/8oz. head. I simply set the rod in a rod holder, backed off the drag just enough so that the reel would pay out line at the right speed and let the wind do the rest of the work. I trolled at a speed that would allow the lure would plane up off the bottom. Just about the time the rig was passing the 100 yard mark, it got slammed! I quickly let out as much line as possible so that the pull of the kite would set the hook. It didn't take long to get the fish to shore. It turned out to be a nice keeper striper.

After the fish was landed I made a few more passes along the same stretch of shoreline, but each time extending the distance covered. On one of the last runs of the day I pushed the rig to about 300 yards, just about where the Heron's "Eyeball" is on the aerial photo. Since I was getting close to maxing out on my line, I decided to move the rig away from shore and start cranking in the gear. I had only taken a few cranks of the reel handle when I saw the float splash and zip across the surface. Had him on for a bit, but at that distance the fish had every opportunity to spit the hook, which he did in short order. By that time it was late afternoon and the wind was really starting to pick up. I decided to call it quits rather than try to wrestle the kites back down in a strong wind.

About The Kites
https://www.flickr.com/photos/151499994@N08/36000764580/in/dateposted-public/

The small delta kite I use has a wing span of about 60 inches. The kite is very stable, can fly in a range of wind speeds from gentle to moderate and handles rough winds well. I also attach a triangular kite flown on the same line just below the main kite. It serves as a "sail" adding more pull to the entire rig. The kites are homemade using simple, inexpensive materials: trash bags, sticks, duct tape, twine, bamboo plant stakes and a paper clip or two.

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:57 pm
pinoyfisherman

Very cool! Congrats on the striper
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:24 am
red fish

Nice fish, excellent report! The aerial shot gives all the perspective. Didn't know anyone still fished at 3rd/Evans.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:43 pm
skyhook

red fish wrote:
Nice fish, excellent report! The aerial shot gives all the perspective. Didn't know anyone still fished at 3rd/Evans.

Most of the guys I see fishing out there are heading out to the point, the tip of the Heron's beak. they look like they might be targeting smelt but I'm sure there are some stripers in the mix too.

Went back out today and followed the same routine as the other day. Launched the kites and trolled a buck tail jig along the shoreline to just past the Heron's eyeball. Again, as I maxed out the line, I moved the lure out away from the shore toward the middle of the lagoon so that I could start my retrieve. After the lure had travelled about 50 yards, it got hit! There was a sizable splash right next to the float as the fish broke the surface.. I tried to crank that thing in as fast as I could. I was fighting not only the fish but the pull of the kite also. But apparently I wasn't fast enough. Within a few seconds a seal was on the fish and had taken it.

From then on for the rest of the morning that seal shadowed my rig, figuring that he'd get another easy meal if he stayed close enough.. Finally called it quits around noon as the wind was starting to pick up.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:15 pm
pinfish

neat!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 pm
simplycook

Looks like a great place to launch my kayak!
Nice report.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: