pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> How Do You String a Bat Ray? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:42 pm
VeeZee Spinner

I've never kept or ate a bat ray in my life and I have been fishing for almost two decades, but I have finally decided to keep one to actually see for myself if they taste like scallops as some claim or if they taste like crap.

I am wondering how to string them up to keep them alive, so by the time I take them home, they'll be fresh. Bat rays unlike regular fish are not easily stringable because with a regular fish you can put the stringer through the lips or through the mouth and gills. With bat rays you cannot because of how they are biologically structured.

Another thing I'm wondering about is where to cut them to bleed them out and what's the most efficient and effective technique to kill them humanely?

I know this is a good question because I couldn't find any information on this anywhere, and what better place to ask than on PFIC where there's a specialization in bat ray fishing.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:54 pm
sea_forager

I can't speak to bleeding a ray like I would a fish, but because rays ammoniate through their skin like sharks do, if I were harvesting that fish I would do the deed immediately and not string it or anything; kill it quick and cut off the wings of the skate (ray). You can also get great meat from their cheeks as well. I would probably quickly skin the wings as well, but that's just me.

And I don't know about scallops-- well, maybe the cheeks I guess-- but skate is delicious. A piccata is a great way to serve it up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:00 pm
uglystick

It feels to me that there is heavy cultural thing to protect them so we don't see many related topics here. I learned from internet that the aboriginal people in Bay Area might be fishing heavily for them.

I agree with sea_forager that cut and keep the wings (in cooler) might be a better approach. I was told to scrape off all the slime on the skin under warm water rinse.

It is a popular cuisine in Singapore:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal_stingray

Personally I won't harvest another one as it takes too much effort for me to clean it. But I would say its meat is above average and tastes like chicken texture.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:31 pm
Trumbo

Your better off eating a leopard shark. Tie a clove hitch around the base of the tail. Deeply cut crosswise the gill slits and throw it overboard. It'll bleed out pretty quickly quick. Much better meat than bat ray. Never tried skate though.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:09 pm
sea_forager

Trumbo wrote:
Never tried skate though.

A lot of restaurants use the term interchangeably since they can be cooked up relatively the same way and honestly taste the same in my opinion, so if you didn't like the ray you had you probably won't be bowled over by skate.

I think size is a big factor as well. If targeting them for eating, a wingspan of 20"~25" is probably the sweet spot for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm
Trumbo

Maybe bat ray Is good. I don't really know. Last time I tried it was when I was in elementary school. I caught it and my bud smoked it with a recipe neither of us can remember. Another friend still mentions it and actually must have really enjoyed it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 pm
grammar police

I tried bat ray once. and ONLY once. That was enough for one life time.

A Vietnamese fishing friend from here swore by them and had me over to experience it. I thanked him and kindly asked to never invite me over for bat ray again. Very Happy

They are far from scallops.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:07 pm
dsch2251

grammar police wrote:
I tried bat ray once. and ONLY once. That was enough for one life time.

A Vietnamese fishing friend from here swore by them and had me over to experience it. I thanked him and kindly asked to never invite me over for bat ray again. Very Happy

They are far from scallops.

Can you tell us more detail about that? What was it about it that was bad? Taste, or texture, or appearance? How was it cooked.
Ive never had it, but I am curious. I always figured that if people really liked to eat them, there would be fewer of them around...
I had leapord shark once, fried. I did not hate it at all. I would not seek it out by any means, but it was edible.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:59 am
grammar police

dsch2251 wrote:
Can you tell us more detail about that? What was it about it that was bad? Taste, or texture, or appearance? How was it cooked.

They double filleted the wings, used a cookie cutter to punch out scallops and then seasoned and pan fried them.

The meat was pungent. The texture was a bit more tough than a true scallop. Overall it was the flavor of the meat that turned me off.

It is edible, just not something I want to experience again. I'd take leopard shark steaks over it any day.

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: