pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> 7/29-30/2017 - Rockfish in SF [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:03 am
sea_forager

After 3 false starts to explore Sutro Baths and Lands End for potential rockfishing spots-- mainly due to sections being blocked off because someone got trapped on a rock or other situations where someone fell off one and died-- I finally was able to explore the area directly north of Sutro and managed to find a spot that wasn't me fishing off an 80ft cliff, that I could get to without much hassle, and that looked like a promising spot.

Fished from peak low tide on Saturday morning to get an idea of the jaggies I'd be battling. An hour after the tide turned I started getting some nibbles and managed to hook 2 teeny tiny grassies, but it was still a good sign. 30 minutes later I pulled in a decent 11.5"/1-pounder-- my first ever rockfish from within the city and not in the Bay! The guy bravely casting out a kastmaster across from me from a spit of land jutting out gave me the thumbs up as I hooked into another one. This was a really nice 13.5"/1.5lber and at that point he started looking down at the hole and I could see him wondering if he'd made the right call in fishing for striper that afternoon haha

I pulled stake and went home after that. Cleaned them and threw them in the fridge for grilling on Sunday.

Went out again late Sunday morning to the same spot and was catching the same tiny rockfish and a couple baby cabs this time, and then finally managed to hook up a 12.5" grassy. That was after losing two full rigs (swivels, weight and all) so I was kind of over it and running low on hooks so I headed home after only 2 hours out there.

All in all, very pleased that there is decent rockfishing to be had without leaving the city and not dangling myself over some of the more treacherous spots around Lands End. Definitely encourage those of you in the area to check it out. I'll be looking for some more spots that don't require a 25min hike-in.

Area: Rocks at Point Lobos [MAP]

Setup:

10ft Ugly Stik / Kastking Kodiak 5000 / 50lb Braid / 50lb fluoro leader / 75lb anglers clip -> Hi/Lo with 2/0 & 4/0 octopus baitholder hooks -> 4oz & 5oz weights

Bait: Squid & Shrimp

The two from Saturday

Ready for the grill

Dig in!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:06 am
Salty Nick v2

Nice city rockies!

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:48 am
uglystick

Nice! Congratulations!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 pm
charro

That's city livin, and fishin!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 am
sea_forager

Thanks all. I'm just pleased that there's a suitable place that anglers here in the city can check out for some reliable rockfishing. Its location also gives those of you that fish the north end of Ocean Beach near the Cliff House something else to target if the perch or stripers aren't giving you the time of day.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:09 pm
xpostman

Excellent detailed report. I enjoy these catch and cook reports. Perfect type fish to steam and drizzle with hot sizzling oil.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:05 am
gudawg

When there was a path out to the big rock directly in front of Sutro Baths, that was a common spot for rock fishing and other fishing as well. You can still get out to it at low tide some days but you'll have to stay through the entire tide and depending on the height of the tide you'll need some waders to get back in water can be rough to.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 am
sea_forager

gudawg wrote:
When there was a path out to the big rock directly in front of Sutro Baths, that was a common spot for rock fishing and other fishing as well. You can still get out to it at low tide some days but you'll have to stay through the entire tide and depending on the height of the tide you'll need some waders to get back in water can be rough to.

That's definitely a nice spot to fish from. The only problem is that it's also prime real-estate for the selfie-taking masses, so casting-- or just going about your fishing business there-- gets real difficult unless you're fishing the real early morning bite.

There are some solid rockfishing spots around sutro and Lands End to be sure, but never underestimate the resolve of tourists to scramble onto the same ledge you're on for their Instagram. At least the spot I point at in this report seems to be immune from all of that. Nothing but comments of "how the hell you get down there?" and "mannnn a fish ain't worth that" coming from the peanut gallery up top Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:45 pm
markdogg

great report P!

Glad to see you're still active out there. Thanks for the report!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:58 am
skyhook

Now that's report! Great job!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 am
sea_forager

markdogg wrote:
great report P!

Glad to see you're still active out there. Thanks for the report!

skyhook wrote:
Now that's report! Great job!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to explore more this upcoming Saturday and report back with a few more productive spots to check out. I'm planning on starting out at Mile Rock Beach and work my way down towards Sutro.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm
sweiss1964

Kudos to you, Sea Forager! I went down there today during lunch for an hour and scouted it out a bit, but I'll admit, getting down to the water looks a bit treacherous. I'd love to find some accessible routes down to the water that don't require me to risk life and limb!

On another note, thanks to Kirk's book, I've had a bonanza of cured anchovies as of late. And I'll I had to worry about were some mentally unstable folks once in a blue moon over at Pier 7!

steven

Boquerones.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.39 KB
 Viewed:  771 Time(s)

Boquerones.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:04 pm
sea_forager

sweiss1964 wrote:
Kudos to you, Sea Forager! I went down there today during lunch for an hour and scouted it out a bit, but I'll admit, getting down to the water looks a bit treacherous. I'd love to find some accessible routes down to the water that don't require me to risk life and limb!

I totally understand. Depending how tall you are (I'm 6'2"), my favorite spot at Point Lobos can be a bit intimidating. I'm just tall enough where the hop down to the lower ledge is only a foot or so, and plenty of hand/footholds for an extremely easy scramble back up, but I can completely understand if that's not your thing.

There are a few other spots that I've spent the month scouting out and fishing-- tomorrow afternoon will be the last day I'm out there 'this month', so expect a doozy of an update for August out there at Lands End, replete with dropped pins on where I was. There's a few great spots that don't require rappelling gear. I was specifically looking for them since I'm playing the role of fishing guide this Saturday (9/2) for a couple of friends without licenses, since it's a free fishing day.

I'll post all August's report in the next day or two. Hopefully I can add a few more fish to it tomorrow 😉

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: