pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in



Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> How long does bucktail last? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:31 am
uglystick


Posts: 60

I'm new to using bucktails in general.

I notice the color starts to wear off from sand after few usage, and the hair starts to turn brown. Is it still good to attrat fish?

How long do you use one bucktail and any maintainance required? Thanks!

_________________
fish on
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:19 am
red fish


Posts: 2550
Location: Berkeley Pier

uglystick wrote:
I'm new to using bucktails in general.

I notice the color starts to wear off from sand after few usage, and the hair starts to turn brown. Is it still good to attrat fish?

How long do you use one bucktail and any maintainance required? Thanks!

That brown is rust from the jig head rusting. (Saltwater must be rinsed off lures with freshwater after every use)
Guessing the hook is slightly brown too? Not that it can't catch fish anymore, it's effectiveness may be slightly diminished.

Either buy more or buy a higher quality buck tail like B52.

Some try to : re-color; nail polish; sharpen hooks; replace worm tail (if used)

_________________
Well, you lose one you rig one -Quint
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:22 pm
uglystick


Posts: 60

Thanks for the info!

red fish wrote:

That brown is rust from the jig head rusting. (Saltwater must be rinsed off lures with freshwater after every use)
Guessing the hook is slightly brown too?


I did rinse thoroughly. It's not the rusty brown. It's similar to what would happen to the shiny white cleaning rag after few usage.


red fish wrote:

Some try to : re-color; nail polish; sharpen hooks; replace worm tail (if used)


These are inspiring. I'll do more study on them Smile

_________________
fish on
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:02 pm
uglystick


Posts: 60

What's the difference between:

white color + clear nail polish

and

white nail polish

Smile

_________________
fish on
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to: