pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Quarry Lakes 5/11. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 pm
GammaRei

After days of slacking, I decided to finally place my gear in my Jeep so that I could head to Quarry Lakes after work in the morning.

I arrived at about 0750. It was a nice overcast morning with a light breeze. There were several others at the floating dock and around the shoreline. I set up at the end of the dock and started launching a kastmaster.

At about 0900 a new person arrived and began fishing from the shoreline, 30 minutes later he pulled in an approximately 5-6lb Rainbow Trout. He then immediately left. (He later came back, said that he was using colorful lures).

About 30 minutes later another individual pulled in a 7lb catfish while fishing a nightcrawelr along the sides of the dock. He ended up pulling a second catfish an hour later.

I didnt fare well, I did not catch anything. But I did enjoy my time spent at the lake. I later found out that there was a fish plant the day before, and others were saying that it takes some times to let the fish adjust to the lake. . . Whatever, I will go back later next week. . .

- G

bass_turd77 wrote:
I think he went at night, like when the sun is down. It tends to be dark then.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:24 pm
red fish

Quarry is tricky, Jeff will tell you from this board.
As far as plants go, that is when people have limited out at that aluminum dock (mostly by tossing lures). I believe the day after the plant is the right day to be there? One of the reasons is that that: 1.) day one of the plants many of the fish are stunned from the travel and drop. 2.) day two they are still in the vicinity of the drop and haven't really dispersed into the lake.

After that, you really have to know where to go and when to be there at Quarry to pull anywhere close to a limit. For instance, some prefer Horseshoe Bend of the lake which is a bit of a hike. Closer in, people prefer Fisherman's Row (instead of the dock) when the fish enter the lake.

Even in boats, the people with down-riggers trolling all over the place Rapala J-7's are the ones really leaving with limits.

Note: Shadow Cliffs is ions easier to perhaps leave with limits (trout or catfish) just doing the regular stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 pm
Trumbo

I'd like to add that QL has a mammoth goose problem. The parks district decided to plant lots off turf that attract thousands of geese. These geese use the ponds as their toilets and turn the water into goose crap tea. You'll find out when you eat the prized catch. I live 10 minutes from QL and drive to SC instead.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:44 pm
coolfishermen

It is a tough lake to fish, lived there for a couple years and never got any trout until the last time I went out there. Usually only caught some bass out at Quarry.

That being said, was out there this morning from 7-1230 and actually caught plenty. Was fishing at fishermen's row. Didn't get much other than a missed bump for the first 3 hours or so. But saw three trout come up beside me, one to my right and two to my left. So I studied what they where doing. I saw that they were casting it a bit closer than I was. So on my next cast I put it in the rough area where everyone else was casting and got a bite a couple minutes in. Was a nice 2#'er. So this continued for the next two hours and i ended up with my limit pretty quickly.

I might have also been in the perfect zone or drop off where I was casting as I got more bites and fish in that time span than everyone else around me.

All fish I caught and seen were roughly in the 1 1/2 - 3# range. But did see one guy land a nice 6+ next to me.

Sometimes it pays to be lucky.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:56 pm
GammaRei

Thanks for the input guys. I am determined to catch something there. Also It is really close to me for my drive home after work, SC would be cool but is quite far for me.
So one of these days I will get something there.

Also I thought that Lake Elizabeth was the duck/goose toilet.

What type of set ups do you guys use normally?

- G

bass_turd77 wrote:
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:42 am
coolfishermen

Mornings are usually better unless you know the right spots, but obviously work makes a big factor in not being able to hit those am times right after a plant.

I use a 6' ultra-light rod with 4# main line and I use either 4 or 6# leader at about 2'. Rigged in a carlina set-up with a 1/4oz bullet weight and a size 16 treble hook.

The length of the leader can vary depending on where the trout will be suspended at. And that will be determined by trial and error or looking at what others around you are doing. But remember that at Quarry Lakes lead weights are prohibited. But you can do a 1-for-1 exhange at the kiosk of up to 4 weights.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:46 pm
GammaRei

coolfishermen wrote:
Mornings are usually better unless you know the right spots, but obviously work makes a big factor in not being able to hit those am times right after a plant.

I use a 6' ultra-light rod with 4# main line and I use either 4 or 6# leader at about 2'. Rigged in a carlina set-up with a 1/4oz bullet weight and a size 16 treble hook.

The length of the leader can vary depending on where the trout will be suspended at. And that will be determined by trial and error or looking at what others around you are doing. But remember that at Quarry Lakes lead weights are prohibited. But you can do a 1-for-1 exhange at the kiosk of up to 4 weights.

Thanks for the input~! I have both lead and steel. I need to create a better tacklebox strictly for quarry. Right now I have all of my gear in one box (Surf/Crab)Delta/Lake) and its damn heavy.

I was mostly using a kastmaster, when I got a little tired I switched up to a Carolina rig, and then changed to a drift rig.

- G

bass_turd77 wrote:
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:30 pm
Trumbo

Well when I used to fish it I had success using gold lures and power eggs/worms in multiple color combos. Seems like they love color combos there. The bigger ones would bite crawler and mallows. Early morning and late afternoon was best. 3' leader. Hope this helps.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:35 pm
Trumbo

No wonder nobody posts here anymore
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:15 pm
GammaRei

Trumbo wrote:
No wonder nobody posts here anymore

What???? So confused.

- G

bass_turd77 wrote:
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:31 pm
Trumbo

Go catch a bad one haha
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: