pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Fishing and inflation [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:18 am
Ken Jones

Was checking some inflation figures and thought I would take a look at fishing trips. In 1961 it cost $5 to go on a 1/2 day boat out of Newport Sportfishing. According to the inflation calculator that translates into $40.51 in today's dollars.

What's the cost today? At Davey's Locker in Newport Beach the cost is $41.50 for a 1/2 day boat so accounting for inflation the cost is right on.

I didn't check other landings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 am
red fish

Ken Jones wrote:
Was checking some inflation figures and thought I would take a look at fishing trips. In 1961 it cost $5 to go on a 1/2 day boat out of Newport Sportfishing. According to the inflation calculator that translates into $40.51 in today's dollars.

What's the cost today? At Davey's Locker in Newport Beach the cost is $41.50 for a 1/2 day boat so accounting for inflation the cost is right on.

I didn't check other landings.

Ken, you can't really find any deals like that in the San Francisco Bay area (that is for good half-day rates).

Some are just taking off 10 or 20 dollars off that regular price of $120 for 1/2 day trips in example from the end of Fisherman's Wharf regardless of whether they take you out 2 miles or 25.

I couldn't believe (until I went out) that Captain Ted's Miss Farralon was only charging us $15 for 1/2 day trip which included live anchovies! That was just prior to 911. They have since lost their birth after having it in the family for over 35 years (according to his son Scotty that I connected with via FB).

I had many Sunday mornings of great fishing with Elric theCRW Leano and other members of this board aboard the vessel. Basically, we drifted across the Gate to the Marin Headlands and back to Fisherman's Wharf which brought limits of rockfish, some halibut, lings, stripers, and cabezon.

It seems like the best deals are from Halfmoon Bay or Monterey Bay, as they don't have to go out as far to get to the fishery so their fee will be like $80.00 instead of $120 for a complete day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:21 pm
uglystick

The boat trip from SF out has options of small vessel, which is perfect if you have 5-6 person private-party. The scenic long trip going out/in of golden-gate becomes tedious soon though.

I was trying to look for something similar from HMB, however, I only found big boat trip (>20 person?) on the internet. From YT video it seems to be a bit crowded and less relax compared to smaller party.

(PS: If anyone has recommendations for small boat trip from HMB, please let me know. Thanks a lot!)

red fish wrote:

It seems like the best deals are from Halfmoon Bay or Monterey Bay, as they don't have to go out as far to get to the fishery so their fee will be like $80.00 instead of $120 for a complete day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:31 am
tackleholic

1/2 days down in the LB/OC area generally go for $40-$49 and the 3/4 days go for $60-75, overnights, $130-160 or more. Of course, groupons, travel zoo, coupons in WON, the last couple of years have allowed anglers to shave $10-$30 off some of these fares. Didn't realize party boat trips were so pricey in the bay area...but there also seems to be a lot more landings and so a lot more competition once you get south of Santa Barbara.

I think I'm done with 1/2 days...now that the local yellowtail have pretty much evaporated. The last couple of years have been nice with the el Nino bringing lots of yellowtail and a few exotics...but overall, the usual local fishing (sand bass, calico bass, barracuda, bonito) have declined substantially since I started fishing party boats again in the mid 90's. These days the majority of 1/2 days seem to target either Rockfish or sculpin..and the size of those locally seem to be declining...at least that's what I see.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:44 am
Tifoso

In my experience, 60-130 on party boats.

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: