pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> SpiderWire [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:12 pm
red fish

I believe it is Stealth, or are there other braids they are making as well?

Anyway, I was wondering if any are using SpiderWire here and do you like it or recommend it.

Just interested in feedback on SpiderWire...

I have been using PowerPro but was wondering about it because it is like half the price of PowerPro. Maybe there is a reason for that; perhaps it does not last as long? Maybe doesn't cast as well?

Any feedback on SW appreciated.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:41 am
Sofa King

It's ok. It is kinda flat. Stick with PowerPro or instead spend a bit more and get Momoi or Samurai. I use all 3 happily. Also Izorline is a good choice. I stay away from cheap braid. Even though J-Braid gets good reviews it's cheap so I don't use it either.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:35 am
seabass_seeker

Same exact experience as Sofa King. Bought a small spool of Spiderwire Stealth that was on clearance for $3.00. Spooled it up and fished a couple sessions on it. Took it off and put power pro back on. It reminds me of why we fished mono through the 90's. If I was to compare it to another line, I'd say it's similar to berkley fireline.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:43 am
tackleholic

I had a couple of reels spooled with it but like others, its my least favorite braid. My problem is it seems to have this sticky coating on it..so when you try to cast the tackiness impedes the casting. On one reel it was even screwing up when freespooling a live bait...i had to constantly pull a few feet off my reel to keep the bait swimming freely. On lighter line like 8-15 lb test...that tackiness problem wasnt a problem. I got rid of the reels with heavier stealth up to 65 lb and now use only power pro or stren super braid which i got on clearance. The stren is pretty good....use it on reels i fish crowded party boats and if i loose a good section of it in a tangle...no problem...it was cheap so i just retie another section on with a uni to uni and a little glue. On bigger reels like 2 speeds I try to use izor hollow white. I'm also contemplating replacing some of my smaller reels like a tyrnos 12 and tal 12 with power pro max cuatro 80 since it has 65 lb diameter. Thing I don't like with power pro is it feels really abrasive and i always end up with spectra cuts or little fibers embedded in my skin after a good trip.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:18 am
Sofa King

tackleholic wrote:
I had a couple of reels spooled with it but like others, its my least favorite braid. My problem is it seems to have this sticky coating on it..so when you try to cast the tackiness impedes the casting. On one reel it was even screwing up when freespooling a live bait...i had to constantly pull a few feet off my reel to keep the bait swimming freely. On lighter line like 8-15 lb test...that tackiness problem wasnt a problem. I got rid of the reels with heavier stealth up to 65 lb and now use only power pro or stren super braid which i got on clearance. The stren is pretty good....use it on reels i fish crowded party boats and if i loose a good section of it in a tangle...no problem...it was cheap so i just retie another section on with a uni to uni and a little glue. On bigger reels like 2 speeds I try to use izor hollow white. I'm also contemplating replacing some of my smaller reels like a tyrnos 12 and tal 12 with power pro max cuatro 80 since it has 65 lb diameter. Thing I don't like with power pro is it feels really abrasive and i always end up with spectra cuts or little fibers embedded in my skin after a good trip.

You will be sorely disappointed with this junk. Power Pro max Cuatro 80 has NO impact resistance. It snaps on simple hookup's. It only has good dead-lift strength. Great idea but it's a Huge waste of your $$$.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: