pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> A water proof camera? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:31 am
frozendog

Just dropped my latest Canon camera in the water. This makes how many????
I've seen some cameras that claim to be water proof. Has anyone found one that really is?
Any other ways you have found to solve the problem of cameras on the rocks?
Don't own or use a cell phone with a camera (I must be the only person in CA who doesn't).
Also, anyone know of a good camera with a view finder that you would take out on the rocks? It is so hard to see the camera screen in the sun. Many of my pictures are pure guess work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 am
makairaa

I have a sony cybershot that has gone swimming in several rivers in alaska with no problem.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:33 pm
Ken Jones

Good question. I used to use a Olympus that I loved until it was stolen last July during a break-in to our home. I replaced it with a Canon but it's not waterproof. I did finally break down and buy a smart cellphone (IPhone 6) but it isn't waterproof. Apparently the IPhone 7 is another story, even better pictures and waterproof. As for surviving the rocks, that's another story (although I've dropped my IPhone a couple of times and it's still doing fine. But I know they make several cameras that are waterproof and some are fairly small and fairly inexpensive. Let us know what you decide.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:44 pm
pinfish

with viewfinder? you'll have to purchase the pro DSLR's but who wants to take those poke poleing? nope.

you could get the gopro 5, which is voice activated. "GoPro take photo" so you don't have to fumble with the buttons. but the guesswork is still there - like old school photography minus going to get film developed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:15 pm
coolfishermen

GoPro's are good but only if you have a smartphone that can download the gopro app. This app allows for you to see what you are shooting as well as edit and delete photos and videos as need be. This especially helps when you are taking multiple video and photos but are running low on memory.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:29 pm
RobF

Most of those cameras have a point to attach a tether. You might want to make a long tether to go around your neck.

Good thing is that now those little cameras are dirt cheap.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:48 pm
Sin_Coast

There are a lot of options in the digital waterproof point & shoot market nowadays. I abuse the heck out of my fishin cameras, especially when I take them out on my kayak in the ocean (every time). I had a bad experience with Olympus Stylus and a great experience with Pentax Optio.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 pm
SunnyvaleMatthew

I have a Fuji XP70... the current XP90 is nearly the same thing. It comes with a floating wrist strap and I have gone so far as to snorkel with it and it always comes out fine. Less than $200 and available at big box stores.

The gold standard these days is the Olympus TG-4 for closer to $400.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: