pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Report: Richmond Perch 3/17 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:26 pm
simplycook

Looks like my last thread got deleted?
Moderators, if my kayak reports are breaking the rules or doesn't belong here on this forum then please let me know so I won't waste my time (and yours). I feel even though I'm catching on my kayak, the areas I'm fishing are easily accessible from shore or pier. I'm not using any special gimmicks other than my fish finder on my kayak.

Saturday 3/17 @ 2:30pm

I launch out of Marina Bay Harbor again hoping to pick up a legal striper and some perch for dinner. Cruised the shoreline looking for structure and holes. I've been noticing the fish have been holding much closer to shore lately than out in the open currents.

Fish finder picks up a blob and over goes my hi/lo rig with pile worms. Within seconds, double hookup on 7-8" jack smelt. Released and I move on. Tried the holes where I caught some nice perch a few days before but they must've moved on.

Near top of the tide and I made my way out near the marina rock wall. Did a slow drift around the end of the wall... little trout rod goes BENDO!... short fun little fight yields a double perch hookup. Both around 11-12". Kept the larger and released the smaller. Continued the drift and ended up with 11 fish caught, 5 released, 6 kept over the next 1.5 hours. Back to the truck around 5:30pm.

IMG_1846.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.51 KB
 Viewed:  1671 Time(s)

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.44 KB
 Viewed:  1672 Time(s)

IMG_1845.jpg

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:12 pm
Silentpartner

Nice fishing Man!

How do you cook those? About 1/2 of mine come out pretty mushy. I still eat them of course.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:45 pm
red fish

Hmm... I am wondering why your last post was deleted? Usually, you will be sent a PM in explanation, but since the PM is down, that is not an option at this time. I recall people were naming the perch, as rubberlip perch were mentioned, but they were all black perch (sometimes called by a common name of pogies) as in your catch displayed here.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:56 pm
simplycook

Yeah, no idea why is was deleted. I wouldn't think naming the wrong subspecies would warrant a thread delete. I understand it's not shore/pier fishing but I'm definitely within casting distance of shore and my locations are easily accessible.

We need to hook up sometime. The perch fishing is great in the Bay right now.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 pm
red fish

simplycook wrote:
Yeah, no idea why is was deleted. I wouldn't think naming the wrong subspecies would warrant a thread delete. I understand it's not shore/pier fishing but I'm definitely within casting distance of shore and my locations are easily accessible.

Yeah, Ken Jones the moderator/author of PFIC will probably chime in with a reason since he perch fishing quite a bit and is an expert on perch fishing I.D./regs.
I heard rumors that this will be no closure this year? I have yet to solidify this so I would like to know if perch regulations have changed for 2017.

I would like to know about some of your grubbing techniques.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:14 pm
simplycook

In either case, its nothing personal. This has been a good forum for me the past few years and I appreciate the feedback I've gotten here. I met a few good people here and for those who've met me, I have no problem sharing good fishing areas and fishing methods that work for me.

Lately, I've been grubbing less inside the Bay. My typically "go-to" Berkley Gulp worms haven't been working as well as past years. Kalin's motor oil grub and pumpkin grub has been working better.
A friend of mine has been testing out a sand crab type lure that he has given me. I haven't been out enough in the right conditions to try it but its a good looking lure.

Not sure how I'd feel about no closure for perch during their spawning season. I already see tons of people out fishing for them and tossing back babies as they spew from the mother's belly. I typically release pregnant females as quickly and gently as possible. Closure or not, I'll start targeting striped bass soon.

red fish wrote:
simplycook wrote:

Yeah, Ken Jones the moderator/author of PFIC will probably chime in with a reason since he perch fishing quite a bit and is an expert on perch fishing I.D./regs.
I heard rumors that this will be no closure this year? I have yet to solidify this so I would like to know if perch regulations have changed for 2017.

I would like to know about some of your grubbing techniques.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:25 pm
Ken Jones

simplycook wrote:
Looks like my last thread got deleted?
Moderators, if my kayak reports are breaking the rules or doesn't belong here on this forum then please let me know so I won't waste my time (and yours). I feel even though I'm catching on my kayak, the areas I'm fishing are easily accessible from shore or pier. I'm not using any special gimmicks other than my fish finder on my kayak.

Saturday 3/17 @ 2:30pm

I launch out of Marina Bay Harbor again hoping to pick up a legal striper and some perch for dinner. Cruised the shoreline looking for structure and holes. I've been noticing the fish have been holding much closer to shore lately than out in the open currents.

Fish finder picks up a blob and over goes my hi/lo rig with pile worms. Within seconds, double hookup on 7-8" jack smelt. Released and I move on. Tried the holes where I caught some nice perch a few days before but they must've moved on.

Near top of the tide and I made my way out near the marina rock wall. Did a slow drift around the end of the wall... little trout rod goes BENDO!... short fun little fight yields a double perch hookup. Both around 11-12". Kept the larger and released the smaller. Continued the drift and ended up with 11 fish caught, 5 released, 6 kept over the next 1.5 hours. Back to the truck around 5:30pm.

Yes, my fault. Trying to move it to off topic (non-pier and shore) board and screwed up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:41 pm
simplycook

Not a problem at all Ken.
A simple mistake. We all make them.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:10 am
songslinger

simplycook wrote:
Not a problem at all Ken.
A simple mistake. We all make them.

Yeah, and you're on a roll, Mr Pogies With Fish Finder In A Kayak.

Like not following posted rules?

Like not knowing (or worse, not caring) what it is you kill?

Like keeping 6 perch in the bay when the limit is 5?

c)Daily Bag Limits
(1)In San Francisco Bay the aggregate limit is five surfperch...

If you do not know the rules--or you choose to ignore them because you have self-administered special dispensation--you should not be on the water. A poacher goes over limits and kills fish that he cannot identify. But you're not a poacher, right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:51 pm
simplycook

Songslinger,
I'm not sure if the tone you're using is a sarcastic or offensive one. The blue font is throwing me off.

You are right to label me as a "poacher" in this instance. I had to reread the 2016-2017 regulations inside the Bay as I have always been used to the 10 bag limit rule. No matter what excuse I give you, it's my fault for not being up to date on the rules every year. I make a very drastic mistake in this instance and am willing to be responsible for my actions.

However in seems like in your eyes, "Once a poacher, always a poacher", right?

If you've got a personal problem with me fishing with a kayak, having a fish finder, and mistakenly calling out the wrong subspecies and posting it on the "Off Topic", then you should loosen up a bit. I have no qualm when you or someone else educates/corrects me in a reasonable manner. But if this is the sort of attitude anyone is going to expect in a supposed friendly fishing forum, then I can better spend my time elsewhere. But this isn't the case, so going on that "you're on a roll" doesn't really do anything but make you look narrow-minded.

If I'm thinking too much into this, then I'm sorry. I love sarcasm but it often gets misunderstood on the internet.

Moral of the story: I made a mistake. ........ I won't ever do it again. Yes, I was a poacher on Friday. Keyword: WAS.

So am I still going to get hanged and burned at the stake?
If I'm no longer welcome here, then that's fine. Nothing personal. I'll take my leave.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:22 pm
Ken Jones

We live and we learn.

I will say that Songslinger and many other anglers on this board are very protective when it comes to regulations and doing the right thing. It's important that all anglers both learn the species and learn the regulations regarding those species (as complex and sometimes confusing as the rules are).

We've all seen too many anglers ignore and flaunt the rules to the detriment of our fish and the environment. Given that pier anglers often have a bad image, I'm proud that many of the "pier rats" on this board do point out the wrongs as they see them. Sometimes it stings but this is how we all learn.

I'm sure you'll be more careful in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 pm
Sin_Coast

Thanks for the report! I appreciate the willingness to share info. And it's refreshing to hear someone own their mistake...I bet you don't make that mistake again! (and maybe somebody else learned from it too)
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: