Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Notable Catches of 2016 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:47 pm
CatchinKelp

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Here's your annual opportunity to collect & upload photos/stories of your most memorable (shore, pier, freshwater, and/or boat) catches of the past year.

Let's all have a merry and safe new year's eve.

IMG_2902_sRGB.JPG
 Description:
Cabezon, 18 inches, bait = squid, tackle = single dropper loop circle hook, near Point Sal State Beach.
 Filesize:  94.45 KB
 Viewed:  3104 Time(s)

IMG_2902_sRGB.JPG

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:56 pm
Trumbo

[img][/img][/url]
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:41 am
Fusion

Trumbo wrote:
[img][/img][/url]

Trumbo you're spot burning, lol. That's awesome bro. Nice dino man!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:49 pm
red fish

Call me a dumbo, but I am waiting for Mel to post first, LOL. Cool Smile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:02 pm
Trumbo

Fusion wrote:
Trumbo wrote:
[img][/img][/url]

Trumbo you're spot burning, lol. That's awesome bro. Nice dino man!!!

Thanx. I really caught it at shinn pond and hauled it to the end of that pier to take pics haha
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:27 pm
mel

Apologies in advance as I'm guilty of using this thread as more of a one year fishing report. Plus it's a great way to spend a non fishing rainy Saturday, looking at fishing pictures. Anyways, fishing didn't really take off for me at all in January. Made a few unproductive sturgeon trips for me but my friends on the boat did well. Crab season opened late (in February) and they were big if you could find them.

At least no one in my family got sick eating them. (not that I know of). In the middle of February with crab being easy pickings and fast limits were the norm one day after getting our limits early we decided we would tow the boat across the peninsula and troll for halibut. It was a nice day after all.

I managed to troll up a couple of halibut outside of Oyster Point to go along with my crab limit. Great combo! In March I made one more farewell trip to the Delta for sturgeon and nailed a nice keeper at the end of the day.

April halibut was in full swing now and it was limits or close to limits every trip. Not real big but good eating.

Salmon season opened and although the bite wasn't wfo it was decent enough.

I ended up in Hawaii near the end of April. I fished almost every day while I was there for almost 2 weeks finding new shore spots and visiting old ones. Caught a nice variety of fish from shore but nothing big. Small pieces of shrimp and "tako" (octopus) was the bait of choice.

While there we flew to the Big Island to visit relatives and hopped on a marlin charter but they weren't biting that day. Nothing was really biting that day either.

I only managed to get out once with my uncle in Oahu and all we could get was some aku's trolling lures but man, are they good eating!

Aku fishing...
https://youtu.be/D-0NiLw5TuI

Rockfish and lings (boat) opened in May and the bite was pretty good. Salmon and halibut were also biting good.

So in June there was a big halibut derby sponsored by Coastside fishing club. My friend and I decided to enter because we figured we would be fishing anyways. We trolled big herring behind little flashers and I nailed a 23 pounder good for second place and my buddy caught an 18 pounder good for third place. Second place got me 500 bucks, the third place fish was good for 300 bucks!

And guess who won 1st place? The one and only original Minnow Magnet! His fish which was just a few ounces bigger was good for a thousand bucks! WTG Minnow!

June, July and August were great fishing months. Salmon and halibut were biting decent. Of course, we had a few skunks here and there but that's fishing.

In September I had to attend a wedding at a place called Upper Lake just past Clear Lake. Of course, I had to fish there and caught some little bass along with this decent one fooling it with a worm on a bobber of all things. The locals were saying these bigger fish were too smart to be fooled by a worm on a bobber. Guess it was my lucky day!

In October I start to hit the Delta for sturgeon. Had some great days there even landing 5 keepers in one day.

Crab season opened in November as scheduled. Wasn't as good as predicted but it was limits every time out.

In December I took a little vacation to Indonesia for a couple of weeks. I go there about once or twice every few years. My wife is from there and this time I was able to get out on the water on a fishing trip. My wife's cousin I learned is an avid fisherman so it was great to finally get a fishing hook up after all these years! It's local style fishing, not on a big cruiser but more like local style fishing. The captain is also a commercial fisherman so his boat is like all the other commercial boats here.

But just my luck, the wind was howling which it often does in December.

We couldn't make it out to the wahoo/marlin grounds so we had to stay inside the bay in the Java Sea. It was good to see the reefs making a comeback as over fishing, using chemicals, and dynamite killed off a lot the habitat there. New laws and commercial fishing sanctions are helping. The Indonesian government has been blowing up and sinking illegal fishing vessels so they're taking it seriously. So anyways we still caught a variety of fish using grass shrimp on a simple hi lo on the bottom.

So on this trip, we got to the captains house which is right off the dock at about 5am. We were greeted by the crew which unloaded our vehicles and carried all of our gear to the boat. We were fed breakfast (which I didn't really eat) and the captain notified us it was too windy to get outside but we still wanted to fish. On the way out the deckhands tied leaders and got all of the gear ready for us, all we had to do was sit there and relax. Oh yeah, my cousin and his buddies don't mess around when it comes to gear. Nothing but the best.

The crew even baited hooks for us but I really had to politely decline as I'm really not used to that.

We started to fill small buckets with fish and every once in a while the cook would come by and take some of the fish. Now it was lunch time and what a great meal on the boat!

We moved around to a few spots and it started to really get rough so we headed in. In this video you can see how rough it got and they have to pull the anchor by hand. We moved about 5 or 6 times too!

https://youtu.be/a9hIHW93WmQ

On the way in the deckhands washed all of our gear and tackle put them back into the cases.

When we got back to the dock we had a hot meal waiting for us and ate while the crew offloaded our gear and iced our fish down for us.

So how much did it cost you asked? One million rupias! Actually that come out to $76.50. What a bargain! Here's a couple of pics of a little fishing village called Tanjung Pasir.

I came home on December 11th and I got a call to help Captain Manny move some crab pots around so the next day I was back on the water at Half Moon Bay and was happy to see the crabbing was still decent.

December is a good month to fish the south bay for sturgeon and along with the rains it got even better as the junkfish went into hiding too. Just at the end of the year I managed to catch this 54 incher.

It was a pretty good year I guess. Lots of notable catches for me and lots of fish added to the species list. All catches are notable. I got my start here at PFIC after getting back into fishing around 2001 or something like that. Before that I didn't fish for more than 20 years. I've since kind of branched out but still check this board every once in a while. GFTY!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:02 pm
Trumbo

Awesome catches man. I'd buy a pier like the ones you fish from but I have nowhere to put it haha
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:10 pm
mel

Trumbo wrote:
Awesome catches man. I'd buy a pier like the ones you fish from but I have nowhere to put it haha

You don't have to own a boat. You just have to have a lot of friends with boats.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:33 pm
Trumbo

Great. We'll all take that into consideration.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 am
mel

Trumbo wrote:
Great. We'll all take that into consideration.

I don't have space to keep a boat either and I also lack a tow vehicle. So I guess we're in the "same boat", haha.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:29 am
Sofa King

This was my most notable catch.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:05 pm
red fish

Didn't purchase a sturgeon tag 2016!

stripe9.1reduc.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.5 KB
 Viewed:  2426 Time(s)

stripe9.1reduc.jpg

troustson5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.87 KB

troustson5.jpg

stripex2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.27 KB

stripex2.jpg

but.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.34 KB

but.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:29 pm
spicytuna

Haven't posted in a while but here's my notable catches from 2016.

Matt's Octopus.jpg
 Description:
My friend thought he was hung up on the bottom. Turns out he snagged an octopus with a yo-yo iron that brought up a 20 lb rock with it.
 Filesize:  81.77 KB
 Viewed:  2143 Time(s)

Matt's Octopus.jpg

BF-01-2016.jpg
 Description:
1st BFT of 2016 @ 65 lbs.
 Filesize:  91.78 KB

BF-01-2016.jpg

BF-02-2016.jpg
 Description:
75 lb'er
 Filesize:  97.65 KB

BF-02-2016.jpg

BF-03-2016.jpg
 Description:
$$$ and time well spent
 Filesize:  92.34 KB

BF-03-2016.jpg

BF-04-2016.jpg
 Description:
Beautiful bluefin. About 80 lbs.
 Filesize:  98.28 KB

BF-04-2016.jpg

BF-05-2016.JPG
 Description:
Went 4/6 for the day.
 Filesize:  98.23 KB

BF-05-2016.JPG

Bonito.JPG
 Description:
Pop's first bonito ever
 Filesize:  97.21 KB

Bonito.JPG

FP King.jpg
 Description:
Don't hate.
 Filesize:  99.44 KB

FP King.jpg

Hali-01-2016.jpg
 Description:
1st trip, 1st cast, 1st halibut of 2016 @ 15 lbs.
 Filesize:  95.42 KB

Hali-01-2016.jpg

LB Ling.jpg
 Description:
Jackpot winner
 Filesize:  96.01 KB

LB Ling.jpg

LMB-09-2016.JPG
 Description:
Biggest LMB of the year
 Filesize:  97.94 KB

LMB-09-2016.JPG

King-04-2016.JPG
 Description:
@ HMB
 Filesize:  83.3 KB

King-04-2016.JPG

Salmon-01 - 2016.JPG
 Description:
Salmon opener
 Filesize:  95.05 KB

Salmon-01 - 2016.JPG

SB Bass-01-2016.jpg
 Description:
1st spotted bay bass ever. Big one too @ 16"
 Filesize:  91.03 KB

SB Bass-01-2016.jpg

WTF-01-2016.jpg
 Description:
seriously wtf
 Filesize:  98.13 KB

WTF-01-2016.jpg

YF-01-2016.jpg
 Description:
1st YFT of the year. We came back to the dock with 80 YFT.
 Filesize:  90.21 KB

YF-01-2016.jpg

YF-06-2016.JPG
 Description:
More YFT
 Filesize:  97.72 KB

YF-06-2016.JPG

YF-09-2016.jpg
 Description:
Yellowfins and yellowtail
 Filesize:  93.86 KB

YF-09-2016.jpg

YT-01-2016.jpg
 Description:
1st YT of 2016
 Filesize:  85.96 KB

YT-01-2016.jpg

YT-06-2016.jpg
 Description:
Good day
 Filesize:  99.21 KB

YT-06-2016.jpg

YT-07-2016.JPG
 Description:
Nice YT
 Filesize:  98.34 KB

YT-07-2016.JPG

YT-10-2016.jpg
 Description:
Yellows and dodos
 Filesize:  96.34 KB

YT-10-2016.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:31 am
makairaa

The shrimp is a peacock mantis shrimp. Aka thumbsplitter. The yellow arms by the head are capable of cracking 1/2 inch thick glass. So be careful with them.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:14 pm
spicytuna

makairaa wrote:
The shrimp is a peacock mantis shrimp. Aka thumbsplitter. The yellow arms by the head are capable of cracking 1/2 inch thick glass. So be careful with them.

The captain said that it'll feel like getting shot by a 0.22. I caught it flylining squid for white sea bass.

WTF-02-2016.jpg
 Description:
Looks tasty to me.
 Filesize:  99.94 KB
 Viewed:  2090 Time(s)

WTF-02-2016.jpg

Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: