>> Rockcodding in Monterey in 1977 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:02 am
Ken Jones

http://kenjonesfishing.com/2016/10/12387/
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:35 am
muttfishr

I member tho's days, even a-foe that! Those were some wild times, if we only knew then about how things would be now, I wonder if it would have made a diference? ...mutt.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 am
Ken Jones

I still think the amount of fish caught by sport anglers versus commercial anglers is pretty small although with the MLPA's many commercial fisherman saw their catch rates decreased or even eliminated for some species, i.e, rockfish in some areas.

I remember being on the MLPA committe and seeing stats where they showed how few fish were caught by shore and shore-co0nnected (pier) anglers versus the partyboat anglers versus the commercial anglers. As example, central coast anglers fishing from the rocks might catch a few dozen fish a day while partyboat anglers might catch fish totaling in the hundreds or possible in the low thousands in the area from Avila to Santa Cruz. One lone commercial boat might catch several thousand fish a day.

Given that much of the MLPA process was initially driven by the drop in rockfish numbers it was easy to see why the commercial boats saw their allowable catch numbers decreased.

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: