pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Marin Perching 8/30 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:32 pm
simplycook

I've been away for about 2 years. I traveled the world with my fiancÚ for 11 months then came back, started a new job, got married, and tried to settle down somewhere in the Bay Area amid all the high housing prices. It's crazy, when I left in 2013, I was paying $1000/month for a small 2 bed 1 bath apt in El Cerrito. Two years later, the same exact unit is going for more than $2000.

Anyhow, the fishing report. I've always been sadden by the lack of perch reports in general fishing websites. USAfishing, NorCal fishing, etc.. Never really talks about our wonderful perch fishery. IMO, surf perch are my #1 favorite fish to catch on light gear, followed closely by striped bass. The exhilaration you get when you hook a 2-3lb perch on a light steelhead rod is amazing.

Work had me up in Marin last Tuesday, so I decided to pack my 9' Daiwa Acculite rod onto my motorbike and hit the beach on my lunch break. Stepped foot on a popular Marin beach about an hour before the high tide. Didn't take long to get the lay of the land. If you pay attention, it's easy to feel the underwater valleys and crests of the sandbars. Even if you don't initially get bites, keep working those spots until the fish come back.

Fished an hour before high tide till and hour after. Lots of birds and Pelicans diving, so I hoped a striper or two were lurking in the surf. Caught about 2 dozen perch, most hand size 7-10" but two were well over 13". Kept three, all Barred surf perch.

If this is any indicator of the Fall, then I'm looking forward to catching the big 15"+ ones.

Glad to be back in the Bay. I plan on continue posting more perch reports.

- Kevin
Will post pictures in a few hours. Cell phone pics are too large to post via phone.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:41 pm
pinoyfisherman

Welcome back! And the thanks for the report too, perch fishing has been pretty good this year along with stripers from the surf.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:27 pm
simplycook

Thanks. Its good to settle back in.

Kept two 11s and one 13.

IMG_1319.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.92 KB
 Viewed:  2198 Time(s)

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.87 KB
 Viewed:  2201 Time(s)

IMG_1318.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.79 KB
 Viewed:  2201 Time(s)

IMG_1317.JPG

Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:17 am
frozendog

Thanks for the Perch report. There will be more as the water starts to cool off.Boy the water looks calm. Board members are always asking for Perch recipes and preps so in your next report take a picture of your dinner and share your prep.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:22 am
charro

Nice outing! That's quite a few perch in a couple hours. I was going to head out this weekend but other things got in the way. I too am looking forward to the Fall perching.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 am
unclesteve

nice. i was in santa cruz yesterday for the outgo around 130pm. I spent most of my time pulling seaweed off my line.

Fall is coming...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:16 am
simplycook

Frozendog, I've always enjoyed your coast reports and food pictures. Do you typically take your catches to Dutchmans? I've been down to Morro Bay a few times en route to Malibu but never had a chance to fish there.

I'll definitely take some pictures next time I cook up the perch and share recipes.

Would love to hook up with you sometime and fish down there.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: