pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Marinated and dried smelt - "Pindang" [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:16 pm
sfbayman

A repost of reply on the main message board.

Marinated and dried jacksmelt

1) filet all jack smelt
2) mix WHITE vinegar, lots of chopped fresh garlic, salt, and pepper, and fish filets, into a mixture that will be enough to cover all your smelt filets.
3) soak in a container or zip lock for at minimum one day, preferably two or more, turning the filets periodically in the container to evenly marinate the smelt.
4) drain over large strainers over a period of two days (or more if you want the smelt to be stiffer) covering the strainer with fine mesh covers to prevent flies from accessing the fish (I believe the dollar store in Alameda sells these).
5) any parasites will percolate to the top of the fish meat where you will be able to pick them off the flesh.
6). after two or more days, fry the smelt or, if you are more health conscious, broil or grill the smelt, adding salt to taste.
7) you can freeze the uncooked and dried smelt for eating later during the year and they will be fine.

Note: this recipe will work for most firmer white-fleshed fish.

Enjoy!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:47 pm
ING

sfbayman wrote:

1) filet all jack smelt
2) mix WHITE vinegar, lots of chopped fresh garlic, salt, and pepper, and fish filets, into a mixture that will be enough to cover all your smelt filets.
3) soak in a container or zip lock for at minimum one day, preferably two or more, turning the filets periodically in the container to evenly marinate the smelt.
4) drain over large strainers over a period of two days (or more if you want the smelt to be stiffer) covering the strainer with fine mesh covers to prevent flies from accessing the fish (I believe the dollar store in Alameda sells these).
5) any parasites will percolate to the top of the fish meat where you will be able to pick them off the flesh.
6). after two or more days, fry the smelt or, if you are more health conscious, broil or grill the smelt, adding salt to taste.
7) you can freeze the uncooked and dried smelt for eating later during the year and they will be fine.

Enjoy!

After paragraph 2) have I refrigerated zip lock with mixture or could keep it at room temperature?
Thanks
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:30 am
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

ING wrote:
sfbayman wrote:

1) filet all jack smelt

Enjoy!

After paragraph 2) have I refrigerated zip lock with mixture or could keep it at room temperature?
Thanks

I don't know what SFBayMan will tell you, but I marinated mine in the fridge.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: