pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Home made Lox (gravlax) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:31 pm
tranbaby2

Sometimes I get lucky and find some very fresh salmon available. When this happens, it is hard for me not to want to make lox out of them. Anything less fresh I end up cooking it. I like to use either King Salmon or Sockeye salmon for curing into Lox. There are many different variations to making lox but this is the way I have made it and it seems to work out well for me.

Ingredients:
1 lb salmon fillet with skin on
1/4 cup mixture of 1 part sugar (granulated or brown) to 1 part salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bunch chopped dill (reserve half for later)

Directions:

1. Mix the Salt and Sugar together and cover the whole salmon fillets.
2. Sprinkle the black pepper and chopped dill evenly on the fillets and pat it on so it will stick to the meat.
3. Cover the fillets in either saran wrap or aluminum foil
4. Refrigerate the fillets for 24-48 hours to let it cure
Some people will put it at an angle to let the juices flow off to the side. I find that is not necessary but it is up to you.
5. Check your salmon in 24 hours, it should have a different color and texture and look like lox. If not then leave it for another 24 hours (48 max).
6. At this point, take the fillets out, rinse it clean of the now brine.
7. Apply the remaining chopped dill
8. To serve cut off small pieces against the grain at an angle.

It should look like this after step 7.

Traditionally, I like to serve mine over toasted bagels smeared with cream cheese, then layer the lox, add chopped red onions, capers, and fresh cracked black pepper.

However, this time I decided to serve over crostini with chopped red onions, capers and extra dill. I wanted to add a slice of avocado (cream cheese sub) on top of the crostini and beneath the salmon but was not able to get a hold of any. It was still good anyway.

Additionally, if you have a vacuum sealer, you can seal any remaining in a bag and store in the freezer for use later. It is not as fresh but still good to have readily available.

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:19 pm
tranbaby2

last pic should have been this one.

Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:41 pm
makairaa

Very nice. I have a similar recipe I have been meaning to try.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:17 pm
polishfromthedeep

Anybody tried this with tuna or yellowtail???

Looks amazing. My favorite smoked fish is T shark, but salmon is a close second.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:13 pm
tranbaby2

REPOSTING DUE TO PHOTOSHOP

Sometimes I get lucky and find some very fresh salmon available. When this happens, it is hard for me not to want to make lox out of them. Anything less fresh I end up cooking it. I like to use either King Salmon or Sockeye salmon for curing into Lox. There are many different variations to making lox but this is the way I have made it and it seems to work out well for me.

Ingredients:
1 lb salmon fillet with skin on
1/4 cup mixture of 1 part sugar (granulated or brown) to 1 part salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bunch chopped dill (reserve half for later)

Directions:
1. Mix the Salt and Sugar together and cover the whole salmon fillets.
2. Sprinkle the black pepper and chopped dill evenly on the fillets and pat it on so it will stick to the meat.
3. Cover the fillets in either saran wrap or aluminum foil
4. Refrigerate the fillets for 24-48 hours to let it cure
Some people will put it at an angle to let the juices flow off to the side. I find that is not necessary but it is up to you.
5. Check your salmon in 24 hours, it should have a different color and texture and look like lox. If not then leave it for another 24 hours (48 max).
6. At this point, take the fillets out, rinse it clean of the now brine.
7. Apply the remaining chopped dill
8. To serve cut off small pieces against the grain at an angle.

It should look like this after step 7.

Traditionally, I like to serve mine over toasted bagels smeared with cream cheese, then layer the lox, add chopped red onions, capers, and fresh cracked black pepper.

However, this time I decided to serve over crostini with chopped red onions, capers and extra dill. I wanted to add a slice of avocado (cream cheese sub) on top of the crostini and beneath the salmon but was not able to get a hold of any. It was still good anyway.

Additionally, if you have a vacuum sealer, you can seal any remaining in a bag and store in the freezer for use later. It is not as fresh but still good to have readily available.

Get The Salty Nick "Special Spinner" today!!!
& I'm a guy so don't ask
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: