pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Halibut with parmesan polenta in mariara and pesto sauce [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:42 pm
tranbaby2

I still have lots of halibut fillets in the freezer so I decided to cook some up today. Didn't really have an idea but decided to throw something together. Usually that's what I do and I don't normally remember what was thrown in for the dish. I wanted to make something fairly hearty but not too heavy and all the sauces really complimented the fish and polenta. Included was a salad I made from lettuces picked from my back yard. I am one to make things from scratch if at all possible since I know what I am putting into it and where the flavors are coming from in building the flavor profile that I am looking for. My wife and I ended up having extra helpings LOL.

Preparing this will take some time but if you do some in advance like I did, it didn't take so long.

There are 5 components to this dish.

1. spring salad
2. marinara sauce
3. pesto sauce
4. fresh made parmesan polenta
5. halibut

1. Spring Salad
For the spring salad, first step is to go to the backyard and pick any lettuces that have been growing since the rains in the spring. In my case, i had some red oak leaf lettuce (hiding in my strawberry plants), some baby escarole and arugula that had already bolted but still plenty of leaves to munch on.

Oak leaf lettuce

Escarole

Arugula

salad mix

If you do not have wild edibles growing in your back yard, you can skip this step and get it at your local market.

You can dress the salad with some lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper after plating the dish and serving.

2. Marinara sauce
I used 4 medium sized ripe tomatoes for this. Rubbed them with olive oil and broiled them in the oven until the skin got a bit charred and peeled back. Took them out and peeled off the skin. Then put them into a container with toasted pine nuts, some oregano from my yard, fresh garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

I used a hand held emulsion blender and pureed it until i got a smooth consistency. Then took it onto the stove to reduce the sauce until it was fairly thick like that stuff you get in the bottles.

3. Pesto Sauce
Put together some fresh mint, green onions, cilantro, toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper into a container and with the hand held emulsion blender, blend blend blend!!!

The two sauces should look like this when done.

4. Parmesan Polenta
Bring 3 cups of water or milk to a boil, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup polenta meal, a couple pats of butter. Stir until it starts to bubble (about 3-5 mins). Bring down the heat to low and keep stirring until the polenta gets fairly thick (about another 10 mins). At this point, it should be coating the back of your spoon/ladle. Add 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and stir it in. Set aside when done.

5. Halibut
Take the fillets and season with salt and some garlic powder. Add pepper if you like.
Sear the fillets on each side about 3-4 minutes then reduce the heat to medium low and add a few tablespoons of water or stock. This will steam the fillets and allow it to cook slowly and not overcook them. another 5 minutes (depending on thickness of your fillets) should be enough.

Once you're done, put everything together on a plate and enjoy.

Be sure to make enough for the wife too Smile

Enjoy!!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:02 am
thefrood

Oh man that looks good. Everything so simple but well put together. Thanks a million for the how-to! I may be able to actually try this one myself!

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:55 am
charro

Excellent!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:11 am
steveo

Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the share. Love the freshness of it all. Nice job!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:16 pm
SLOFishing

*drools*
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:10 pm
tranbaby2

Reposting - due to photobucket

I still have lots of halibut fillets in the freezer so I decided to cook some up today. Didn't really have an idea but decided to throw something together. Usually that's what I do and I don't normally remember what was thrown in for the dish. I wanted to make something fairly hearty but not too heavy and all the sauces really complimented the fish and polenta. Included was a salad I made from lettuces picked from my back yard. I am one to make things from scratch if at all possible since I know what I am putting into it and where the flavors are coming from in building the flavor profile that I am looking for. My wife and I ended up having extra helpings LOL.

Preparing this will take some time but if you do some in advance like I did, it didn't take so long.

There are 5 components to this dish.

1. spring salad
2. marinara sauce
3. pesto sauce
4. fresh made parmesan polenta
5. halibut

1. Spring Salad
For the spring salad, first step is to go to the backyard and pick any lettuces that have been growing since the rains in the spring. In my case, i had some red oak leaf lettuce (hiding in my strawberry plants), some baby escarole and arugula that had already bolted but still plenty of leaves to munch on.

Oak leaf lettuce

Escarole

Arugula

salad mix

If you do not have wild edibles growing in your back yard, you can skip this step and get it at your local market.

You can dress the salad with some lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper after plating the dish and serving.

2. Marinara sauce
I used 4 medium sized ripe tomatoes for this. Rubbed them with olive oil and broiled them in the oven until the skin got a bit charred and peeled back. Took them out and peeled off the skin. Then put them into a container with toasted pine nuts, some oregano from my yard, fresh garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

I used a hand held emulsion blender and pureed it until i got a smooth consistency. Then took it onto the stove to reduce the sauce until it was fairly thick like that stuff you get in the bottles.

3. Pesto Sauce
Put together some fresh mint, green onions, cilantro, toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper into a container and with the hand held emulsion blender, blend blend blend!!!

The two sauces should look like this when done.

4. Parmesan Polenta
Bring 3 cups of water or milk to a boil, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup polenta meal, a couple pats of butter. Stir until it starts to bubble (about 3-5 mins). Bring down the heat to low and keep stirring until the polenta gets fairly thick (about another 10 mins). At this point, it should be coating the back of your spoon/ladle. Add 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and stir it in. Set aside when done.

5. Halibut
Take the fillets and season with salt and some garlic powder. Add pepper if you like.
Sear the fillets on each side about 3-4 minutes then reduce the heat to medium low and add a few tablespoons of water or stock. This will steam the fillets and allow it to cook slowly and not overcook them. another 5 minutes (depending on thickness of your fillets) should be enough.

Once you're done, put everything together on a plate and enjoy.

Be sure to make enough for the wife too Smile

Enjoy!!

Get The Salty Nick "Special Spinner" today!!!
& I'm a guy so don't ask
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: