pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
>> Best way to rig a Bomber Long A [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:44 am
markdogg

I'm such a noob but finally purchased my first real lure.

Read a lot of good things about the Bomber Long A going for stripers so I bit the bullet and bought it.

Question: what's the best way to rig it? I'm casting off the surf and pier and notice that the lure floats on the surface. As of now, I'm just tying it directly on some braided line and trying to cast as far as I can. Reeling it in fast or slow, I can still see it under less than 3 inches of water when I'm fishing off the pier.

Any tips on how I should tie it, or weight it, or even how to fish with it?? haha
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:30 pm
SLOFishing

markdogg wrote:
I'm such a noob but finally purchased my first real lure.

Read a lot of good things about the Bomber Long A going for stripers so I bit the bullet and bought it.

Question: what's the best way to rig it? I'm casting off the surf and pier and notice that the lure floats on the surface. As of now, I'm just tying it directly on some braided line and trying to cast as far as I can. Reeling it in fast or slow, I can still see it under less than 3 inches of water when I'm fishing off the pier.

Any tips on how I should tie it, or weight it, or even how to fish with it?? haha

I don't know much about fishing for stripers but you should use a monofilament or floro leader. This will make sure the fish can not see your line.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:41 am
DPRICENATOR

I have not ever used this particular lure, but in my limited pier fishing experience, using tis type of lure can be rough from an elevated position. The lure you have is a "Floater/diver" As you reel it in it will dive and then when you stop your retrieve it will float. Your problem, from a pier is that it is trying to dive while being retrieved from a steep angle. So it never gets the chance to get very deep at all. The angle of you line may also fight against it making any dive at all. It's not that the lure is bad or won't work, as it certainly has it's place. It would be good in the shallows so you are not bumping off the bottom or picking up weeds. But from a pier I would see this type of lure being the wrong tool for the job. I could be wrong.

However, in the surf, this should be perfect. you probably can't get this lure to dive more than about 3 feet anyway, and if you pause your retrieve so it floats up, you'll stay in the top 12 inches of water. It'll keep you off the bottom and away from snags. Remember to fish that lure all the way up to you toes. I have watched a Corbina make a charge at my lure in 5 inches of water right in front of me as I lifted my lure out of the water. Had I just swept my rod to the left, the bean would have had the time to make a strike.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: