pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Free fishing day: no license needed— [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:37 am
Ken Jones

BAITING ANGLERS

Fishing Day: State Fish and Game waives its license rules to introduce the sport to newcomers

Reyhan Harmanci

Twice a year, the floodgates open and fish swim through. In June and again in September, a day is marked as Fishing Day, where you can show up at a spot (following regulation, of course) and fish without a license anywhere in California.

"It's a great way for families to get out and experience fishing," says California Fish and Game spokesman Steve Martarano. He cautions that people should investigate which fisheries need report cards - which come with licenses and help experts keep track of certain populations - before they go out. Abalone and spiny lobsters, for instance, require report cards. Rules on bag limits, size limits, hours and more should be observed. (If, like this reporter, you don't know what a bag limit is, visit the state's Web site at www.dfg.ca.gov.)

To further encourage people to come and spend some time outside Saturday, Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge will be offering free fishing poles, bait and tackle.

"What we're doing to help celebrate National Fishing Week and promote fishing as an outdoor activity that can connect people back to nature is provide a day of fishing, where pretty much we provide everything except for the fish," says Carmen Minch, outdoor recreation planner at Don Edwards. "We want people to try their luck in the bay." The number of poles is limited to 15, so people would be best served by getting there early, Minch says. The catchable fish at Don Edwards can range from leopard sharks to rays to striped bass to perch and jack smelt. "We normally hold a fishing clinic in the fall, so this is less involved. There will be a couple of volunteers on hand to help you if you're unfamiliar with a pole." She says that there are no age limits on the fishing, but people younger than 16 should probably come with an adult.

So, no excuses for not casting lines and coming home with a few tall tales, if not actual fish.

Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge will have free fishing poles, bait and tackle from 10 a.m.-noon Sat. Dumbarton Fishing Pier, 1 Marshlands Road, Fremont. No fishing license is required anywhere in the state. Interested anglers should meet at the end of the fishing pier. (510) 792-0222, Ext. 43. Driving directions available at www.fws.gov/desfbay/directions.htm.

This article appeared on page G - 28 of the San Francisco Chronicle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:44 am
pierhead

For 2008, California's Free Fishing Days are JUNE 7TH and SEPTEMBER 27TH. ...
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:27 pm
Mahigeer

I will be at Bolsa Chica State Park, helping out with the surf seminar. Gordo and Oscar will be there too. God help me!!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:50 pm
jimbojack

HASHEM NAHID wrote:
I will be at Bolsa Chica State Park, helping out with the surf seminar. Gordo and Oscar will be there too. God help me!!

Don't worry. I'll be there to help keep them in line!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:51 pm
gordo grande

jimbojack wrote:
HASHEM NAHID wrote:

Don't worry. I'll be there to help keep them in line!

Can't keep us in line! Smile

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:13 am
kjqylnfot

FxDvo6 <a href="http://yzmdqdhaegav.com/">yzmdqdhaegav</a>, eikctokthhre, [link=http://cgprvbxukavy.com/]cgprvbxukavy[/link], http://dvjjtvuphprg.com/
Top of page
Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:54 pm
pinfish

normally its the time to not go fishing. just like memorial day, independence day, and labor day should be called "let's pollute the atmosphere day with our barbecue smog day"- free fishing day is a bunch of reckless people throwing trash in the water and on the pier.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:49 pm
iamap

I should take that seminar on the free fishing day. I never had any luck, from the surf, as a kid, so I just gave up on it. I probably don't have the right gear for surf fishing but what I do have should be good enough to learn.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 pm
riorust

iamap wrote:
I should take that seminar on the free fishing day. I never had any luck, from the surf, as a kid, so I just gave up on it. I probably don't have the right gear for surf fishing but what I do have should be good enough to learn.

Umm, Jeff... The surf seminar was on June 7...
The gear you have maybe a bit heavy for perching, but it would work just fine for other species, up to leopards and rays.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:35 pm
iamap

riorust wrote:
iamap wrote:

Umm, Jeff... The surf seminar was on June 7...
The gear you have maybe a bit heavy for perching, but it would work just fine for other species, up to leopards and rays.

In that case I should pay more attention to the date on posts. Razz
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: