pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Avet Reel Rod Pairing [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:57 pm
SLOFishing

I am going to purchase an Avet SX 5.3 MC, and was wondering what rod would be good for this. My price range is around $100 (the cheaper the price the better Smile ), needs to be strong enough for Bat Rays, but sensitive enough for rockfish and lingcod in deep water. And the rod needs to be 8 ft long. Thank you.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:09 am
Sofa King

When it comes to fishing rods and reels you get what you pay for. My recommendation is to bite the bullet, spend the extra $$$ and get a Phenix Abyss 807. It is one of the best all around 8ft rods for California waters and an Avet SX fits just fine on it. I use this setup as my backup rod.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:06 am
red fish

SLOFishing wrote:
I am going to purchase an Avet SX 5.3 MC, and was wondering what rod would be good for this. My price range is around $100 (the cheaper the price the better Smile ), needs to be strong enough for Bat Rays, but sensitive enough for rockfish and lingcod in deep water. And the rod needs to be 8 ft long. Thank you.
Ugly Tiger 10-30 Action light BWC 2200 7'5" pistol-grip/cork grip/ceramic Fuji guides.... other than that, go with the 807 if you want to bite the bullet (lifetime warranty if you have some of the rod left from damage and $60 gets you a replacement). Hell, I have caught 80" sturgeon on the Saber Pacifica SPC 270 C 7' 15-35 stainless steel guides/eva-foam grip that they sell at Big 5 for $40 when they have their sale. They have some heavier Saber Pro's 8ft. at $60 on sale rated 20-40. The one with no reel-seat seems ok, but you have to use the clamps on the reel if you don't mind. The others, they have too much rod for an SX (too heavy and bulky).
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: