pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Reel size advice needed [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:31 pm
sulsj

Hi,

Here comes my issue. I keep changing my mind now so your any advice will be greatly helpful.

I've recently bought a used set of Lami Surf King 10' Med with Shimano Stradic ci4 4000F (w/PP 30lb). I really really like the weight and the feel of the combo. A few days ago I've picked up a Falcon coastal XG Med 7'6" for $35 from Walmart. What a treasure!

The question is I need a new reel. I am thinking of Penn Battle 2 and considering either 3000 or 5000. Do I have to get a 3000 for Falcon? Or Would it be better for me to put Stradic on Falcon and buy a new Battle 5000 for the 10' rod?

FYI, I fish for surf perch, striped bass, halibut. Sometimes Cod, Dungees.

Thank you in advance.
Have a great summer~
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:15 pm
Sofa King

I just got the battleII 4000. filled with 30# Samurai braid and it will fit the bill perfectly except maybe for dungeness. I would get the 5000 and put it on the surf rod. fill with 55# Samurai and you are good to go.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 am
pinfish

3 sizes for lures, 4 sizes for bait and wait, 5 sizes for sharks rays and dungy's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:29 pm
mav

What Sofa King said... 5000 on Surf King and 4000 on Falcon (nice rods), using a light leader for surfperch. Or you can get a lighter setup for perch... lol
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:28 pm
sulsj

Thank you very much for the comments. Those are really helpful!! Esp. I like the reel size definition from "pinfish". Smile

Just FYI, I've been fishing dungees very successfully with this 4k reel with 30lb pp + 40 lb shock leader. I have an Okuma Solaris 10' with Aklos with the same line setup and it's also really really good to throw and retrieve snares. Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:48 am
RisingTideCharters

I really like the new Quantum Smoke PT reels. The 5000 has a huge spool on and has to the lightest reel on the market. I have abused these reels and have never had an issue.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:06 pm
ING

sulsj wrote:
Hi,

Here comes my issue. I keep changing my mind now so your any advice will be greatly helpful.

I've recently bought a used set of Lami Surf King 10' Med with Shimano Stradic ci4 4000F (w/PP 30lb). I really really like the weight and the feel of the combo. A few days ago I've picked up a Falcon coastal XG Med 7'6" for $35 from Walmart. What a treasure!

The question is I need a new reel. I am thinking of Penn Battle 2 and considering either 3000 or 5000. Do I have to get a 3000 for Falcon? Or Would it be better for me to put Stradic on Falcon and buy a new Battle 5000 for the 10' rod?

FYI, I fish for surf perch, striped bass, halibut. Sometimes Cod, Dungees.

Thank you in advance.
Have a great summer~

If you have Stradic cir 4000F, why you are looking for Battle or something else?
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: