pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Fried Fish Soup [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:00 pm
tranbaby2

There's nothing I like better on a cold day or early morning than a nice bowl of steamy hot soup, especially one that incorporates fresh seafood. This one is a recipe that I have made time and time again and is always a favorite and is simple but especially flavorful. It's even better when you use fresh fish you caught.

For this recipe, you will need:

1 white fleshed fish (rockfish, striper, tilapia, etc) about 2 -3 lbs cut into large pieces for frying. For this recipe, I used fresh caught rockfish.

6-8 cups of chicken broth. Either fresh made or low sodium canned.

couple slices of ginger

1/2 - 1 lb of fresh baby bok choy. cut into large sections/wedges. Amount depends on your liking but i like a lot so I put as much as will fit in the pot.

4-6 table spoons of fish sauce (more/less to your liking). I prefer 3 crabs brand.

Vegetable or canola oil for frying.

That's it, but I guarantee it's super good. Just make sure you use the freshest fish or the flesh may flake off instead of stay on.

Instructions:

Heat oil in frying pan to medium high/high.
Take fish pieces, pat dry.
Add fish to oil, fry until golden brown. Do not overcook, you want the fish to be crispy outside and tender and still moist inside.

Meanwhile, while you're frying fish, prepare stock. If you are making stock from scratch I suggest you prepare this part in advance as it will require some time to get good flavored stock. If you are using can, just empty the canned stock into a large pot and bring to boil and add ginger slices.

Add the baby bok chok, bring to boil, once boiling, turn down heat to simmer. This should take no more than 3-4 minutes.

When the fish is done frying, add to pot of stock, simmer for 3-5 more minutes. There will be some residual oil from the fried fish on top of the stock, just skim it off with your ladle.

It should look like this at the end.

Serve over rice in a bowl and enjoy.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:34 am
tranbaby2

Oh I forgot you add the fish sauce before putting in the fish. It will be bland without it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:56 am
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

NICE! TY!

1) leave skin on?

2) Did you grow that bok choy too?

3) i make something similar, sorta, with lemon juice, garlic. tomatoes, other seasonings....wait, I guess not so similar.

Your dishes always look lovely.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:04 am
thefrood

I'm salivating here and I just got into my office...

Looks to be a Looooong day today. Heh.

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:33 am
tranbaby2

MsCMSchultz wrote:
NICE! TY!

1) leave skin on?

2) Did you grow that bok choy too?

3) i make something similar, sorta, with lemon juice, garlic. tomatoes, other seasonings....wait, I guess not so similar.

Your dishes always look lovely.

Yes leave skin on. It adds more flavor and hold the flesh better.

I didn't grow that bok choy, I just have mustard growing now lol but I prefer the sweetness of bok choy for this dish.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:25 am
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

TY, I printed this one out and will try to follow it exactly.

But I don't always color in the lines real well.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:27 pm
frozendog

Fish soup always looks good. Thanks for making the effort to post so many recipes with pictures.
Now, about this soup.... Did you leave the bones in the fish when frying? Wife doesn't like bones - fish, chicken, beef - you name it. If I had used boneless, skinless fillets could I just drop the fish frame into the stock and simmer it and then remove it when I added the fish fillets?
Soup looks good and I would like to try it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:31 pm
tranbaby2

frozendog wrote:
Fish soup always looks good. Thanks for making the effort to post so many recipes with pictures.
Now, about this soup.... Did you leave the bones in the fish when frying? Wife doesn't like bones - fish, chicken, beef - you name it. If I had used boneless, skinless fillets could I just drop the fish frame into the stock and simmer it and then remove it when I added the fish fillets?
Soup looks good and I would like to try it.

Yeah I fry with the bones as it help keep the fish from falling apart. You could get up the fish frame and stew that first then fry up the fillets and add later. Allow it to simmer in the soup for a few mins before serving to get the flavor out but I wouldn't recommend more or the flesh will fall apart. You could avoid that too I you fry it a little longer.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 pm
tranbaby2

I hate posting from my phone since it creates so many grammatical errors and draws away from what I'm trying to say. Lol
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm
tranbaby2

REPOSTING DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET

There's nothing I like better on a cold day or early morning than a nice bowl of steamy hot soup, especially one that incorporates fresh seafood. This one is a recipe that I have made time and time again and is always a favorite and is simple but especially flavorful. It's even better when you use fresh fish you caught.

For this recipe, you will need:

1 white fleshed fish (rockfish, striper, tilapia, etc) about 2 -3 lbs cut into large pieces for frying. For this recipe, I used fresh caught rockfish.

6-8 cups of chicken broth. Either fresh made or low sodium canned.

couple slices of ginger

1/2 - 1 lb of fresh baby bok choy. cut into large sections/wedges. Amount depends on your liking but i like a lot so I put as much as will fit in the pot.

4-6 table spoons of fish sauce (more/less to your liking). I prefer 3 crabs brand.

Vegetable or canola oil for frying.

That's it, but I guarantee it's super good. Just make sure you use the freshest fish or the flesh may flake off instead of stay on.

Instructions:

Heat oil in frying pan to medium high/high.
Take fish pieces, pat dry.
Add fish to oil, fry until golden brown. Do not overcook, you want the fish to be crispy outside and tender and still moist inside.

Meanwhile, while you're frying fish, prepare stock. If you are making stock from scratch I suggest you prepare this part in advance as it will require some time to get good flavored stock. If you are using can, just empty the canned stock into a large pot and bring to boil and add ginger slices.

Add the baby bok chok, bring to boil, once boiling, turn down heat to simmer. This should take no more than 3-4 minutes.

When the fish is done frying, add to pot of stock, simmer for 3-5 more minutes. There will be some residual oil from the fried fish on top of the stock, just skim it off with your ladle.

It should look like this at the end.

Serve over rice in a bowl and enjoy.

Get The Salty Nick "Special Spinner" today!!!
& I'm a guy so don't ask
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:08 pm
Tifoso

Holy cow!

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: