>> Surfking vs Tsunami vs Okuma Solaris? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:56 pm
expo23

thanks for the info everyone.

I pmed you Ronin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:07 pm
frozendog

Re: kyosanym
"I bought an 11' okuma solaris 3 years ago and I'm still using it.. It's my all purpose rod, crabbing, stripers, bat rays and sharks. It's great rod, fought many and still fighting big strong big bat rays. Sometimes I wish a big fish would break it just so that I can have a story and give me a good reason to buy a new rod."

I agree 100%. It's an affordable workhorse that I've had no problem with fishing off the rocks.

"Hi. any update/report on the rod? i am in the market for a new rod for cliff fishing.

Surf Samurai - G Loomis - $500
Frozen Dog - Lamiglas 11" Surf King rod $150

i must say its been fun building a new set up for the type of environment.

I been skimming through Surf's post and will mimic his set up."

The Lamiglass vs the Okuma. The Okuma is a heavier rod than the Lamigass and a lot stronger. It would be better suited for cliff fishing than the Lamiglass. I use my Okuma about 75% and the Lamiglass about 25%. I have also broken several Lamiglass and returned them. They don't want to hear from me again. SurfSamurai's set-up is a lot more expensive. More than I want to pay for using and thrashing on the rocks. The most important thing is that whatever rig you buy, you will learn to get the most out of it the more you use it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:03 pm
expo23

Thanks your your insight Frozen Dog.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:50 am
KO Fishing

It's been a little while. I'm wondering how things have stood up so far Frozen. I'm looking into either the Surf King, or the Solaris too, in the 10' class. It'll be paired with, most likely, a Avenger Bait feeder 65 reel (which will probably get replaced a little down the road, for something comparable but better quality). After reading this, I'm leaning towards the Solaris, but I wanted to get a "seasoned" response.

Thanks,
Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:35 pm
pinfish

i have an 11 foot casting Surf King. It does the trick for 3 years already. I throw 3-4oz swimbaits/hairraisers/mickey's and the occasional pencil. I am using a 6600 Abu. Reviews mention that it has snapped on them but I haven't had that fortunately.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:43 pm
frozendog

KO Fishing wrote:
It's been a little while. I'm wondering how things have stood up so far Frozen. I'm looking into either the Surf King, or the Solaris too, in the 10' class. It'll be paired with, most likely, a Avenger Bait feeder 65 reel (which will probably get replaced a little down the road, for something comparable but better quality). After reading this, I'm leaning towards the Solaris, but I wanted to get a "seasoned" response.

Thanks,
Kyle

First of all, all my experience is with conventional rods. I agree with Mr. Pinfish that the Surf King is a lot better for throwing plastics and lures. It's also a lot lighter rod. My style of fishing is getting snagged on every cast in the rocks and the Okuma is heavier and a far better rod for pulling on snags, fish covered with seaweed, etc. I haven't had any trouble with my Okuma but is definitely heavier in weight and action than the Surf King. I like the Okuma so well that I bought a second one just in case something happens to the first one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:47 pm
red fish

pinfish wrote:
i have an 11 foot casting Surf King. It does the trick for 3 years already. I throw 3-4oz swimbaits/hairraisers/mickey's and the occasional pencil. I am using a 6600 Abu. Reviews mention that it has snapped on them but I haven't had that fortunately.

What Alan and Walt said. For throwing in the surf, the LamiGlas Surf King will be all right for tossing iron. I had an 11' foot SurfKing conventional rod and was tossing heavy 8 ounce lead and fishing for sturgeon with it. I hooked a batray and that thing was a Lami-Blast right in the middle where the two pieces come together. Also, shark fishers in Central have "blasted" the Surfking on sharks. It is nice and light and I did cast 130 on it with 4 oz lead and 15 pound test monofilament.. And Lamiglas won't back there low-end stuff. The higher-end Ron Arra, and above over $200 you might get a little more love if you have to replace on warranty.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:34 am
red fish

red fish wrote:
Walt:

Here is a review from Stripersonline.com on Casting Rods under $150

1. Penn Pro Guide PGS2040C11 (11', 20-40#, 3-8oz $130); is the $30 extra for a 12' model worth it?

2. Tsunami Trophy TS-TSC1102XH (11', 20-40, 4-10oz, $90)

3. Offshore Angler (BPS) Ocean Master OMCP12SC (12', 20-50#, 6-12oz, $100)

4. Daiwa Emblem Surf EM-ES2253HRB (11'4, 20-40, 4-7oz, $130)

Full Review: http://www.stripersonline.com/t/537582/best-surf-conventional-casting-rod-under-150-00

Check to see who has the best warranty..

I was thinking Ocean Master myself (Cabelas) but, when I get another long casting rod, I will probably go with a BWC 1100 since it is durable enough for sturgeon, sharks, and rays (although very heavy weight in comparison to other surf rods). Used the old Daiwa Sealine (with the blue wrap). Was a good rod, still have it, but some inserts have popped out (replaced) and had a few guides rewrapped, plus busted off a small part of the tip and put another tip/top guide. Seen its share of sturgeon, sharks, rays. The Penn Pro Guide sounds pretty interesting if there is a sale..warranty?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:38 am
red fish

red fish wrote:
Walt:

1. Penn Pro Guide PGS2040C11 (11', 20-40#, 3-8oz $130); is the $30 extra for a 12' model worth it?

Full Review: http://www.stripersonline.com/t/537582/best-surf-conventional-casting-rod-under-150-00

I was thinking Ocean Master myself (Cabelas) but, when I get another long casting rod, I will probably go with a BWC 1100 since it is durable enough for sturgeon, sharks, and rays (although very heavy weight in comparison to other surf rods). Used the old Daiwa Sealine (with the blue wrap). Was a good rod, still have it, but some inserts have popped out (replaced) and had a few guides rewrapped, plus busted off a small part of the tip and put another tip/top guide. Seen its share of sturgeon, sharks, rays. The Penn Pro Guide sounds pretty interesting if there is a sale..warranty?

Okay, a little update in this, as time has passed! The price has gone up too. Most of these rods are like $149.99 now. From my list: # 3 and #4 remain in the revision. And, will add the Insane Surf by Lamiglas to replace the now defunct Lamiblast Surf King. Improvements have been made.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:51 pm
red fish

red fish wrote:
red fish wrote:
Walt:

Ok, a little more on this chalk-talk guys! With more piers closing in Cali, and my signature pier, Berkeley closed, I made a purchase as I will be casting a little further and from shore for awhile.

After some research, and a some contemplation, I went with a brand-new product from BPS, the

Okay, a little update in this, as time has passed! The price has gone up too. Most of these rods are like $149.99 now. From my list: # 3 and #4 remain in the revision. And, will add the Insane Surf by Lamiglas to replace the now defunct Lamiblast Surf King. Improvements have been made.

Ok, I finally made a purchase from BPS guys. I was given a couple gift-certificates and added a little change and made a purchase. I was set to get the 10' (as I did not see an 11 or 11'6" anymore) OMS 17-40 4-8oz 10C SKU 1850640.

As I was doing my search, and talking to the nice sales-lady in Missouri, we came across a SKU while trying to search the product for purchase. It was SKU 2256794 BKW 1220402C 20-40 4-10oz. This brand-new product is 12', has a RT-1 graphite blank and is $50.00 cheaper than the OMS. I searched and debated. The product is so new, I could not find any reviews, while the OMS if old, tried and true by many across the USA. The lady salesperson was so nice and patient and helpful that I decided to be the "test crash dummy" on this product. She said, "If you don't like it, you can return to the store in 60 days for full refund." She then went on to say, "You can be the first to provide a product review," to my "I could not find any product reviews on this item!"

So, there it is.... I did not get the Insane Surf Lamiglas that replaced the SurfKing Lamiblast!

I will let you know what I think of this new product after I have tried and tested it... now that some pier access has been taken and I will be doing more shore, ocean, delta bank casting, and perhaps kayaking again (with maybe a charter trip or two or buddy-boating?!)

P.S. - did not purchase any extended two-year warranty at point-of-purchase (which is $20 on the BW and 40 more on the OMS)! The one-year should be good if in fact this is a decent product. If this thing cracks in a year or two...if...rest assured, I will buy the Ugly Stik BWC 1100 that's Big-Water casting ... and not look back! BTW- BW stands for Break Water on this new series of BPS surf-casting stick...Fish On! Red out for the One-Six!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:11 pm
red fish

red fish wrote:
red fish wrote:
red fish wrote:
Walt:

Ok, a little more on this chalk-talk guys! With more piers closing in Cali, and my signature pier, Berkeley closed, I made a purchase as I will be casting a little further and from shore for awhile.

After some research, and a some contemplation, I went with a brand-new product from BPS, the

Ok, I finally made a purchase from BPS guys. I was given a couple gift-certificates and added a little change and made a purchase. I was set to get the 10' (as I did not see an 11 or 11'6" anymore) OMS 17-40 4-8oz 10C SKU 1850640.

As I was doing my search, and talking to the nice sales-lady in Missouri, we came across a SKU while trying to search the product for purchase. It was SKU 2256794 BKW 1220402C 20-40 4-10oz. This brand-new product is 12', has a RT-1 graphite blank and is $50.00 cheaper than the OMS. I searched and debated. The product is so new, I could not find any reviews, while the OMS if old, tried and true by many across the USA. The lady salesperson was so nice and patient and helpful that I decided to be the "test crash dummy" on this product. She said, "If you don't like it, you can return to the store in 60 days for full refund." She then went on to say, "You can be the first to provide a product review," to my "I could not find any product reviews on this item!"

So, there it is.... I did not get the Insane Surf Lamiglas that replaced the SurfKing Lamiblast!

I will let you know what I think of this new product after I have tried and tested it... now that some pier access has been taken and I will be doing more shore, ocean, delta bank casting, and perhaps kayaking again (with maybe a charter trip or two or buddy-boating?!)

P.S. - did not purchase any extended two-year warranty at point-of-purchase (which is $20 on the BW and 40 more on the OMS)! The one-year should be good if in fact this is a decent product. If this thing cracks in a year or two...if...rest assured, I will buy the Ugly Stik BWC 1100 that's Big-Water casting ... and not look back! BTW- BW stands for Break Water on this new series of BPS surf-casting stick...Fish On! Red out for the One-Six!

Okay, so Iíve used the above BPS for about 1 1/2 years. So far so good. The styling is nice and nice wrap in the butt section. 12í so it gets you out there. I have used it with a Penn Squidder, Penn 555, and most recently it has been married to a Shimano Charter Special. The Squidder with 20# mono, the other two with 65# braid, but I am considering going back to hi-vis green fluorescent Big Game on the 555. I have caught mostly rays on it. No sturgeon yet so I donít know if it really has the sensitivity at 20-40 4-10 ounce. Hope to get a 7 on it . No problems with 8-10 ounce weights. Probably comparable to Okuma Solaris.

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 2  Page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: