pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> How to properly take care of/store your rod and reel? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:50 pm
Jackjack

So rod maintenance has been a reoccurring issue for me these past few years as I have switched over from bait fishing to plugging. I have had two Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels which have failed me already. It started off with annoying squeaking every time I turn the handle. Then the anti-reverse would sometimes would fail. And finally the reel would just stay stuck in free spool unable to wind in line.

Thought it was a problem with the manufacturer so I switched over to the ever popular Shimano Curado (got a brand new I series) and experienced other problems with it. After about a month of use, the reel started squeaking as well. Eventually, the squeak went away on its own but now there's this loud grinding sound which I'm assuming is coming from the gears. Still works fine but its very annoying and frustrating.

I like to think that I take care of my gear rather decently but these mechanical issues say otherwise. I am a saltwater fisherman so I rinse my rod and reel after every outing. I keep it stored in a dry place such as my garage or even my room. I do leave it in the trunk of my car every so often. I have a few friends who don't nearly take the precautions I do when it comes with reel care/maintenance but have no problems at all with their setup. Good thing Shimano has a great warranty/customer service. Plus I have been really impressed with their reels..at least when they don't squeak....

Anybody else experience similar problems?
What am I doing wrong here?!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:30 pm
norcalrod

As for lube, there are two types of lube I use, "Real Lube" Bass Pro or "Corrosion Block" from West Marine. It's the main grease I use for the gears.

I use a light weight oil for my bearings. I use to use Quantum "Hot Sauce" but the red oil stains everything. I now use "Corrosion-X" for the parts that need oil rather than grease.

I use either Shimano or Cal-Star bearing grease on my drag disks (carbon, ceramics and others).

Couple of things to note regarding the "squeak". Is it during the cast? The Abu's and Curado use the plastic break collars. I find that on my casts, towards the end of my cast, they start to whine or give a squeaking sound.

The one thing I found with all my casting reels, they are pretty thin on grease out of the box. Especially the Abu's, I've had to clean up some corrosion and re-lube the reels. Most of the time with my new reels, after a month of use and rinsing, I generally break them down to see what's going on inside and re-lube everything.

Hope this helps.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:28 pm
Jackjack

Thanks for the reply. I've been using the ardent cleaning/lube kit but I'll look into those the ones you mentioned.

The high pitched squeak (like a squeaky bicycle noise) is during the retrieve.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:18 pm
bipnilaga

Check the following:

Roller bearing
Roller bearing sleeve
Shaft bearing (if it reel has one)
Levelwind assembly / bearing
Handle bearings

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:34 pm
SLOFishing

Just try to put some lube on your reels every so often.
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: