Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Shovelnose kabobs Sinker/Flipper [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:15 pm
Ken Jones

Shovelnose (Guitarfish) Kabobs

Posted by Sinker

(Courtesy of Mike, A.k.a. "Flipper") SHOVELNOSE KABOBS

Due to popular demand, I have decided to put up my famous shovelnose kabob recipe. If you have never eaten shovelnose shark (guitar fish), I highly recommend making these kabobs. Its not a complicated process, and as with most kabobs... the BBQ is the key! ...but if there is anything that I say is a must to get these kabobs to come out right, its the pre-preparation.
Pre-preparation consists of simply cleaning the shovelnose (guitar fish) correctly and choosing choice cuts for your grill. Be sure to chill the meat and cut out any red meat (marbling). The shovelnose steak is long a tubular, so making your kabob chunks its easy. Simply cut them into 2 inch cubes and wash them well in cold water.
Milk Bath: Soak your meat chunks in milk (do not use non-fat) for 30 to 45 minutes. When done, strain milk and pat dry the meat with paper towel.
Marinade: Soak your meat in your favorite Chinese marinade or make your own like I do. Marinade for 2 hours.
1/2 cup Soy Sauce (can use lite)
1/4 cup dry sherry (not cooking Sherry !)
1/2 tsp grated fresh Ginger Root
a touch of Brown Sugar
This is just the basic, you can also add finely chopped garlic, hot pepper oil, Tabasco, Sesame oil, or chopped green onions
Now the meat is good to go, and your ready to skewer your kabobs with the shovelnose chunks, and your favorite fruits and vegitables... below is basically what I like to throw on the screwer with the shovelnose.
green bell pepper
yellow bell pepper
red onion
red potato (Pre-boil potato's 10 minutes)
pineapple
shovelnose guitar fish
Lightly brush on (using glaze brush) Canola or Vegetable oil onto your shovelnose chunks. This will help keep them from sticking to your grill. Now your ready to BBQ! -10 minute cook time (turning kabobs occasionally on grill).
ENJOY!

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: